President Biden

Happy Face

16 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

I'll agree with this but is that what that particular protest was about? I honestly can't remember but the optics of it were horrific and I'm really struggling to imagine that any 'decent' people would have associated themselves with it as soon as it became clear what it was looking like.

There does need to be a measured debate around culture and the legacies of key figures and I can understand both sides to the extent that if your ancestors were enslaved by people who now have statues set up of them in key public areas, you'll probably find that oppressive in the extreme. And offensive. But on the other hand, if you've been brought up being told how great all these people were and how many hospitals they built, you're not going to easily be able to go straight to the nuanced position.

The only caveat on that latter point is that obviously some of us do go straight to that nuanced position. So why am I able to re-evaluate these statues and others are not - what distinguishes me from them in this sense? One or the other of us lacks something. 

It was a long time ago now but as I remember it was the seemingly sudden imposition of the new narrative (sorry for the wanky terms) on the community.

Some of the people protesting were hell yeah I love the KKK and some were just normal people who felt that their culture was being violated.

So to bring it back to a more relevant comparison, like Dad’s Army types defending a Churchill statue alongside National Front types.

2 hours ago, Rayvin said:

I mean I'll agree on some of that. Obama had children in cages too, the outrage about that was annoying. But then Trump did make his entire election campaign about building walls and stopping immigration, so he made the rod for his own back in terms of the hysteria about it.

Trump was elected off the back of a series of very fascist sounding statements it has to be said. "Lock her up" was one of them. The nazi comparisons were again, self inflicted to an extent. Not saying the media didn't gleefully dive headlong into it, but still.

The very fine people on both sides line idk. Were there any non-KKK even there? This was a rally screaming about Jews and holding flaming torches wasn't it..? What type of "fine person" would attend such a thing?

I will concede that I do think he said that without thinking about it.

Unsure on the Mexican rapist point, don't recall that being discussed in a big way on here.

What do you think about him inciting people to storm the capital? I cannot believe any right thinking republican could support such a thing. If BLM did it people would be calling out for mass firing squads.

There are a lot of legal immigrants who feel really aggrieved by the idea of people “jumping the queue”. I get that plenty of people are decent and just desperate but equally there are lots of problems that come over that border, drugs, child trafficking etc.

A wall probably is needed IMO and it doesn’t strike me as terribly responsible to take an extreme open border position just to counter Trump which Biden, Harris, AOC etc do

I think there are more than a few people who would like to see Hillary in jail. I’m not exactly sure what for although there are some pretty unpleasant rumours about the Haiti money not to mention the supposed Clinton “body count”

The storming of the Capitol is a really weird episode. I don’t really know what to make of it. Trump tweeted not to act irresponsibly having seemingly hinted that he wanted people to do exactly that. I can’t remember the exact sequence of events but he was then banned from social media.

The security footage from inside shows some very mild behaviour from the invaders.

It wasn’t good obviously but compared to the weeks of rioting and looting, this time seemingly encouraged by the democrats, it was pretty tame.

A lot more people died during those riots too, including David Dorn who died trying to protect a business from being looted.

The media barely mentioned him.

I do think there was something suspicious about the way numbers came in on election night. Any investigations being carried out are rather like the ones into Boris Johnson’s lockdown transgressions, ie likely carried out by people with a certain outcome in mind.

My overall position in all of this is that the corruption in US politics is immeasurable. The “stimulus” bills are vast and impossible to read, with such flagrant abuse. The media is polarised to a grotesque level. Big pharma has a dreadful track record and Trump came to power with his “own” money and appealed to people who thought he could do something about it.

Having his own direct form of communication through Twitter completely bypassed all the filters which clearly are probably needed with someone like Trump.

but overall I don’t think his aims were evil in any way

i believe he loves America and there is probably not much wrong with that in the scheme of things.

In other words he was probably the wrong answer to the right question 

1 minute ago, Asprilla said:

There are a lot of legal immigrants who feel really aggrieved by the idea of people “jumping the queue”. I get that plenty of people are decent and just desperate but equally there are lots of problems that come over that border, drugs, child trafficking etc.

A wall probably is needed IMO and it doesn’t strike me as terribly responsible to take an extreme open border position just to counter Trump which Biden, Harris, AOC etc do

I think there are more than a few people who would like to see Hillary in jail. I’m not exactly sure what for although there are some pretty unpleasant rumours about the Haiti money not to mention the supposed Clinton “body count”

The storming of the Capitol is a really weird episode. I don’t really know what to make of it. Trump tweeted not to act irresponsibly having seemingly hinted that he wanted people to do exactly that. I can’t remember the exact sequence of events but he was then banned from social media.

The security footage from inside shows some very mild behaviour from the invaders.

It wasn’t good obviously but compared to the weeks of rioting and looting, this time seemingly encouraged by the democrats, it was pretty tame.

A lot more people died during those riots too, including David Dorn who died trying to protect a business from being looted.

I do think there was something suspicious about the way numbers came in on election night. Any investigations being carried out are rather like the ones into Boris Johnson’s lockdown transgressions, ie likely carried out by people with a certain outcome in mind.

My overall position in all of this is that the corruption in US politics is immeasurable. The “stimulus” bills are vast and impossible to read, with such flagrant abuse. The media is polarised to a grotesque level. Big pharma has a dreadful track record and Trump came to power with his “own” money and appealed to people who thought he could do something about it.

Having his own direct form of communication through Twitter completely bypassed all the filters which clearly are probably needed with someone like Trump.

i believe he loves America and there is probably not much wrong with that in the scheme of things.

jennifer-lawrence-ok.gif

• Haha 6

2 hours ago, Asprilla said:

donald-trump-wrong.gif

• Haha 5

3 hours ago, Asprilla said:

Big pharma

thw wall

Haiti

election night numbers

looting encouraged by democrats 

BINGO!

Do I win a kraken?

• Haha 4

Good guy Biden steals 7bn from Afghanistan

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/feb/11/biden-7bn-frozen-afghan-reserves-taliban

“The idea that overnight, the central bank reserves went from belonging to the Afghan people to being the transferable property of the United States is nothing short of colonial.”

are-we-the-baddies-mitchell.gif

• Like 1

I read about that earlier and wasn’t terribly impressed. Half the money is going to Afghans and half to victims of 9/11.

What’s unclear is whether the half going to 9/11 victims’ families is at the discretion of Biden or whether it’s a legal obligation as a result of the court case they won. Either way I know who deserves it more.

• Like 1

I actually went and searched this because it feels like a non issue point, fully expecting your interpretation to be correct, but he's actually said it in a way where you could interpret it the other way too :lol:

"They're bringing crime, they're bringing drugs, they're rapists, and some, I assume, are good people" Is what he actually said. So yeah, you could interpret 'they're rapists' both ways.

That said, the spirit of the sentence was indeed referring to the people immigrating illegally. It's a suspect comment either way though unless he's supporting it with some evidence that I haven't seen. The clear interpretation of what he has said is that the overwhelming majority of them are criminals. Is this the case? I'll also stress that it more or less sets up all Mexican people in the US to be considered drug dealers and rapists until proven otherwise. Which, y'know, isn't great.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

I actually went and searched this because it feels like a non issue point, fully expecting your interpretation to be correct, but he's actually said it in a way where you could interpret it the other way too :lol:

"They're bringing crime, they're bringing drugs, they're rapists, and some, I assume, are good people" Is what he actually said. So yeah, you could interpret 'they're rapists' both ways.

That said, the spirit of the sentence was indeed referring to the people immigrating illegally. It's a suspect comment either way though unless he's supporting it with some evidence that I haven't seen. The clear interpretation of what he has said is that the overwhelming majority of them are criminals. Is this the case? I'll also stress that it more or less sets up all Mexican people in the US to be considered drug dealers and rapists until proven otherwise. Which, y'know, isn't great.

Well for a start he’s only referring to the people crossing the border illegally, not all Mexicans, which is what the media tried to spin it as.

He just didn’t say it.

Now I’m not condoning the way he made his point at all, just highlighting that the media hyped up stories and people who already disliked Trump took it as gospel.

The southern border is clearly a problem and as I said before Trump’s policy was no different to any other previous president’s. As soon as Trump was in office that policy somehow became racist.

45 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

In short, he was never misrepresented or misquoted. Unlucky @Asprilla

Like every politician (and arguably anyone who's ever made a public statement), Trump will be well aware of intent and implication, of course. It's a bit like the people who put "We send the EU £350 million a week - let's fund our NHS instead" on the side of a bus now saying "we didn't say we'd give £350 million to the NHS, sorry if that's how you understood it"

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Asprilla said:

So you’re trying to use the fact that he clearly never said what you claim he said to “prove me wrong”. Ok :lol: 

It’s literally been quoted verbatim in this thread