2017 GE 1

Kevin Carr's Gloves

Not sure how big a deal Sturgeon's no show is really, this isn't about the SNP at the end of the day. We can trust them to vote alongside Labour even if they're not in coalition, so if we end up with a Tory minority government we can be certain of preventing the worst of it.

Just read this transcript :lol: She's very clearly awful:

The Herald: Two visits in six weeks to one of the country’s most marginal constituencies – is she getting worried?

May: I’m very clear that this is a crucial election for this country.

TH: Plymouth is feeling the effects of military cuts. Will she guarantee to protect the city from further pain?

M: I’m very clear that Plymouth has a proud record of connection with the armed forces.

TH: How will your Brexit plan make Plymouth better off?

M: I think there is a better future ahead for Plymouth and for the whole of the UK.

TH: Will you promise to sort out our transport links?

M: I’m very clear that connectivity is hugely important for Plymouth and the south-west generally.

2 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Just read this transcript :lol: She's very clearly awful:

The Herald: Two visits in six weeks to one of the country’s most marginal constituencies – is she getting worried?

May: I’m very clear that this is a crucial election for this country.

TH: Plymouth is feeling the effects of military cuts. Will she guarantee to protect the city from further pain?

M: I’m very clear that Plymouth has a proud record of connection with the armed forces.

TH: How will your Brexit plan make Plymouth better off?

M: I think there is a better future ahead for Plymouth and for the whole of the UK.

TH: Will you promise to sort out our transport links?

M: I’m very clear that connectivity is hugely important for Plymouth and the south-west generally.

:huh::lol:

What

The 

Actual 

Fuck

She's like some bot programmed with 1980s AI algorithms, badly. With extra sweating module installed.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Renton said:

She's like some bot programmed with 1980s AI algorithms, badly. With extra sweating module installed.

Thought I'd test your theory. Eerily accurate, as it turns out.

eliza.png

Her answers were longer. The tweet going round cherry picked the first sentence of each answer.

There's a full 3 minute video available. The answers aren't much more clear though.

Thought on last night was that Corbyn looked much less like leader material than he has in all the one on ones he's done. Nothing he said, just joining in with Nuttall and co in a shouting match.  Wasn't a good optic. When being interviewed and talking to audiences he's been elevated in stature, looked short last night.

Think the May no show and the answers he did give and the Rudd horror show and the audience response made it an overall win still.

3 minutes ago, Happy Face said:

Her answers were longer. The tweet going round cherry picked the first sentence of each answer.

There's a full 3 minute video available. The answers aren't much more clear though.

Thought on last night was that Corbyn looked much less like leader material than he has in all the one on ones he's done. Nothing he said, just joining in with Nuttall and co in a shouting match.  Wasn't a good optic. When being interviewed and talking to audiences he's been elevated in stature, looked short last night.

Think the May no show and the answers he did give and the Rudd horror show and the audience response made it an overall win still.

Realistically, no one watching that was going to be persuaded by anything said.

The gambit was that May wouldn't show up and Corbyn would make her look weak. This was achieved, even the right wing press are forced to report on it.

2 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

Not sure how a Labour government propped up by SNP/Lib Dems will handle Brexit?

could be tricky

First off, it's better than a no deal scenario, which is almost certainly where the Tories are headed.

Secondly, I think the SNP and the Dems would get behind Corbyn's tariff free access suggestion. Whether it's in any way achievable is another issue entirely, but I suspect they'd all be united on it. What we might end up with is the need to go back to the country again with the outcome, which I think is right. A 'This is the best we can get, what do you want us to do' moment.

Corbyn has just said that he's going to look into writing off some of the debt incurred by those who went to uni and suffered £9000/year fees because it is unfair that they should have been the only ones to suffer through them.

The man is a saint :lol:

But that said, he likely already has all of those voters.

24 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

Not sure how a Labour government propped up by SNP/Lib Dems will handle Brexit?

could be tricky

A hung parliament would be intriguing on both sides, not just on Brexit. 

Would either of them be desperate enough to offer the SNP another independence referendum? 

9 minutes ago, NJS said:

A hung parliament would be intriguing on both sides, not just on Brexit. 

Would either of them be desperate enough to offer the SNP another independence referendum? 

Would the SNP even want one? Support for independence has fallen below 50% and its actually starting to sound as though Sturgeon is annoying people now. Her approval ratings have gone through the floor. Not sure it's the time from the SNP's side either tbh.

24 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Would the SNP even want one? Support for independence has fallen below 50% and its actually starting to sound as though Sturgeon is annoying people now. Her approval ratings have gone through the floor. Not sure it's the time from the SNP's side either tbh.

It's not, that's why they are retreating from it, best to see how Brexit turns out. If it all goes tits up then Independence will come into play again. If their is a decent outcome then the promise of "Once in a generation" has to be kept.

The Economist has come out in favour of the Lib Dems. Probably the only show left in town in the centre (assuming Brexit to be a hard right position and that the Tories are, therefore, further over that way).

Sounds about right for their outlook.

I remain disappointed with the Lib Dem campaign. They needed to achieve far more than they are in order to win back some seats from the Conservatives.

Yeah, I don't really see any net gains at all. They might smuggle a Vince Cable or a Simon Hughes back in, but they're as likely to lose a soft seat or two along the way.

1 minute ago, Meenzer said:

Yeah, I don't really see any net gains at all. They might smuggle a Vince Cable or a Simon Hughes back in, but they're as likely to lose a soft seat or two along the way.

Why though? On the face of it, their basic premise should be a strong one. I can only think that Corbyn himself is holding them back by either offering more to people who believe in him, or terrifying those that don't. So no one is prepared to risk a vote away from their main party.

This is why we need PR.

17 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Why though? On the face of it, their basic premise should be a strong one. I can only think that Corbyn himself is holding them back by either offering more to people who believe in him, or terrifying those that don't. So no one is prepared to risk a vote away from their main party.

This is why we need PR.

I think it's very much that, with the polarisation of the main two parties making it feel like a real "line in the sand" moment where you need to pick a side and stick with it, not faff about with a minor party. That and pursuing the "only anti-Brexit party" approach at the start of the campaign doesn't seem to have paid dividends. I assume (like me) most of the 48%ers have accepted that the right-wing MSM ( ;) ) will never let us change our minds and remain after all, so we might as well make the best of a bad lot - hence the Farron line becoming far more single market-oriented of late.

I still have no idea how I'm going to vote - ultra-safe Labour seat so a LD vote will do no harm, and the local candidate seems decent enough, but the sitting MP is good too (I voted for her last time) and Corbyn has redeemed himself a bit recently so I feel less bad about tacitly endorsing him. But yeah, it would be nice if my vote counted for something. :lol:

5 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

I think it's very much that, with the polarisation of the main two parties making it feel like a real "line in the sand" moment where you need to pick a side and stick with it, not faff about with a minor party. That and pursuing the "only anti-Brexit party" approach at the start of the campaign doesn't seem to have paid dividends. I assume (like me) most of the 48%ers have accepted that the right-wing MSM ( ;) ) will never let us change our minds and remain after all, so we might as well make the best of a bad lot - hence the Farron line becoming far more single market-oriented of late.

I still have no idea how I'm going to vote - ultra-safe Labour seat so a LD vote will do no harm, and the local candidate seems decent enough, but the sitting MP is good too (I voted for her last time) and Corbyn has redeemed himself a bit recently so I feel less bad about tacitly endorsing him. But yeah, it would be nice if my vote counted for something. :lol:

My vote is also meaningless in a safe Labour seat, except to help underline how safe it is. I'm hoping Momentum are targeting the fuck out of the marginals though, they'd be totally wasted where I am.

May has now apparently decided the only way she's going to win this is by making it a second referendum. So she's hammering the Brexit thing to death now:

For we are a great country. A country that is proud of its European heritage, but a country that has always looked beyond Europe to the wider world.

And 12 months ago, the British people chose to do so again. They chose to build a more Global Britain.

And let us be clear: they did so with their eyes open. They knew that it would not be straightforward. They knew the road ahead may be uncertain. But they believed that it would lead towards a brighter future for their children - and their grandchildren too.

So with determination and characteristically British quiet resolve, they defied the establishment, ignored the threats and made their voice heard.

I respect that decision and am clear about what needs to be done. It is time to act on their instruction. To deliver their will.