2017 GE 1

Kevin Carr's Gloves

33 minutes ago, Anorthernsoul said:

What's going on man, Jezza's went from quiet down and out to a hero, knight in shining armour in the space of 7 days. Madness :icon_lol:

I wonder what the Blairites are thinking now? All of this party division seems to have disappeared?

It's going to be hard for them as it's obvious he's done well. 

However if it still ends up with a large tory majority, they'll feel vindicated and will use the argument that a better leader might have won (which is fair enough) to try and oust him again. 

Problem is a shift to the centre may disillusion people who've come on board during the campaign. 

4 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

There's still a good 3rd of the population who will be voting Tory. They must hate sitting in silence at work and in the pub whilst everyone waxes lyrical about Jezza :razz:

There was a brief discussion at work the other week and a lass said she'd be voting tory as she thinks the world is getting dodgy due to Trump and she trusted May more than Corbyn to defend the UK.  I had to button my lip from saying she'd become a pensioner. 

6 minutes ago, NJS said:

It's going to be hard for them as it's obvious he's done well. 

However if it still ends up with a large tory majority, they'll feel vindicated and will use the argument that a better leader might have won (which is fair enough) to try and oust him again. 

Problem is a shift to the centre may disillusion people who've come on board during the campaign. 

That's the one thing I'm now sure won't happen. They're not going to get control of the party back after this showing from Corbyn.

50 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

That's the one thing I'm now sure won't happen. They're not going to get control of the party back after this showing from Corbyn.

You might be right. But think about this for a second. It is likely Labour will lose ground compared to Miliband, who was regarded as a disaster for the party. This against a Tory party led by May who have visibly disintegrated in front of our eyes. 

I firmly believe a stronger leader would have wiped the floor with May. Corbyn, Abbot, and McDonnell are still huge turn offs for much of the electorate. People are struggling to vote for them despite now being very uncertain about the credibility of the Tories. If Labour don't substantially improve over Miliband, it very much is a missedd opportunity. And keeping Corbyn will make them unelectable for the foreseeable future.

I hope I'm wrong, I really do, but I'm expecting a Tory landslide next Thursday. Corbyn has performed well from a very low base but his ambiguous stance on Brexit and immigration will finish him, with a bit of help from the right wing press and lazy fucking students. 

Edited by Renton

5 minutes ago, Renton said:

You might be right. But think about this for a second. It is likely Labour will lose ground compared to Miliband, who was regarded as a disaster for the party. This against a Tory party led by May who have visibly disintegrated in front of our eyes. 

I firmly believe a stronger leader would have wiped the floor with May. Corbyn, Abbot, and McDonnell are still huge turn offs for much of the electorate. People are struggling to vote for them despite now being very uncertain about the credibility of the Tories. If Labour don't substantially improve over Miliband, it very much is a missedd opportunity. And keeping Corbyn will make them unelectable for the foreseeable future.

I hope I'm wrong, I really do, but I'm expecting a Tory landslide next Thursday. Corbyn has performed well from a very low base but his ambiguous stance on Brexit and immigration will finish him, with a bit of help from the right wing press and lazy fucking students. 

I dunno man, I see this all very differently. Also don't think Miliband was a disaster, he was just the one that made me realise the Blairites had nothing to offer. Not his fault, the underlying ideology has been found out. Same issue the Tories are having.

I don't think a stronger leader would have finished May off. I have my belief on what the underlying causes of the last two years of nonsense have been, and the Blairite wing have no answer to it as far as I've seen. They would have campaigned on a single market footing  and they would have lost. They also would have had a manifesto that looked a lot like the Tories with a few minor policies to 'help'. The whole election would have been dismal and without hope. Turnout would have been pathetic.

That said, I could be totally wrong about that, maybe they do have something to offer and I just don't know what it is. Either way, I suspect we're going to see the party fracture if the Tories get their landslide. If it's close, maybe they'll stick with it. Heaven forbid they actually get behind the platform of course.

I fully expect Corbyn to win. Celebrations for me will be put on hold for a few years until they prove they can make this tax and spend lark work.  My (slimline) gut tells me that it won't and there's a real danger that they end up horrically driving up the deficit instead and end up hurting the economy and costing jobs.

I also feel as though everyone is quite happy to care not one jot about the economy and just leave that mess to all our kids.

its a massive gamble and hopefully it works, but no champers for me on Friday.

37 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

I dunno man, I see this all very differently. Also don't think Miliband was a disaster, he was just the one that made me realise the Blairites had nothing to offer. Not his fault, the underlying ideology has been found out. Same issue the Tories are having.

I don't think a stronger leader would have finished May off. I have my belief on what the underlying causes of the last two years of nonsense have been, and the Blairite wing have no answer to it as far as I've seen. They would have campaigned on a single market footing  and they would have lost. They also would have had a manifesto that looked a lot like the Tories with a few minor policies to 'help'. The whole election would have been dismal and without hope. Turnout would have been pathetic.

That said, I could be totally wrong about that, maybe they do have something to offer and I just don't know what it is. Either way, I suspect we're going to see the party fracture if the Tories get their landslide. If it's close, maybe they'll stick with it. Heaven forbid they actually get behind the platform of course.

There's loads of supposition there though. Miliband not opposing austerity was a huge mistake, and I honestly think that would have been recognised. A more moderate, and capable, leader like Burnham would have fought on an anti-austerity platform and against May would have won. Imo of course. We'll obviously never know but it is pretty galling that Corbyn will claim doing slightly worse than Ed as a success. Because, ateod, we'll still be stuck with these tory wank stains. Huge missed opportunity.

Btw, do you think all New Labour were "Blairites"? I didn't think Ed was. What about someone like Alan Johnson, who is completely opposed to Corbyn too. Is he a Blairite? Your need to pigeonhole everything is quite annoying. <_<

29 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

I fully expect Corbyn to win. Celebrations for me will be put on hold for a few years until they prove they can make this tax and spend lark work.  My (slimline) gut tells me that it won't and there's a real danger that they end up horrically driving up the deficit instead and end up hurting the economy and costing jobs.

I also feel as though everyone is quite happy to care not one jot about the economy and just leave that mess to all our kids.

its a massive gamble and hopefully it works, but no champers for me on Friday.

Has someone hacked your account?

This is fucking shameful, May got a load of piss easy questions that let her waffle about Brexit and Corbyn has Nukes, IRA, taxes. Fucking bollocks.