2017 GE 1

Kevin Carr's Gloves

1 minute ago, Alex said:

Despite all her patter to the contrary a Tory government suits Sturgeon.

Agree here, but she has to play the game well else she ends up being exposed as a useful idiot. I mentioned yesterday that polling indicates her support is falling these days - I think the SNP need to make improving people's lives the primary goal.

6 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

We'll see how it goes I guess. Tbf, the Tories are still up in the polls in big enough numbers that this may all turn out to be rather irrelevant :lol:

Oddly it seems to be the collapse of the fringe parties that have contributed to this, rather than Labour.

I don't know, I was talking to a few tory voters last night who are all switching to Labour. I honestly don't think anyone has a real clue about the result next week.

Just now, Dr Gloom said:

CT is balancing his night shifts as a cabbie with a part time gig as a lobby reporter 

What are your thoughts on the past few days? You've not said much and your insights from the media side of things are normally useful.

1 minute ago, Christmas Tree said:

I don't know, I was talking to a few tory voters last night who are all switching to Labour. I honestly don't think anyone has a real clue about the result next week.

Did they say why?

3 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

Agree here, but she has to play the game well else she ends up being exposed as a useful idiot. I mentioned yesterday that polling indicates her support is falling these days - I think the SNP need to make improving people's lives the primary goal.

I find her refreshingly honest (comparatively) in general but she's pragmatic enough to play the game, as you put it. I tend to agree about what she should be doing and why that is perhaps why support has wained (sic). The reliance on oil revenue makes Scotland a bit of a basket case outwith the EU. I thought it was canny typical of them to vote to stay in the Union then elect shitloads of SNP MPs at the General Election. I might add that I like the place and the people (although that's a rather meaningless platitude but I certainly have nothing against them) but they might have to take a long hard look at themselves if the day ever came when they couldn't blame the English for all their problems.

@Meenzer Tim Farron has just refused to confirm whether or not homosexuality is a sin. Something I thought had been cleared up previously but which, looking at it now, he was apparently lying about last time, and can't force it past his conscience twice.

Not a good look for the Democrats sadly. They look like they're going to pick up very little of what we hoped.

1 minute ago, Alex said:

I find her refreshingly honest (comparatively) in general but she's pragmatic enough to play the game, as you put it. I tend to agree about what she should be doing and why that is perhaps why support has wained (sic). The reliance on oil revenue makes Scotland a bit of a basket case outwith the EU. I thought it was canny typical of them to vote to stay in the Union then elect shitloads of SNP MPs at the General Election. I might add that I like the place and the people (although that's a rather meaningless platitude but I certainly have nothing against them) but they might have to take a long hard look at themselves if the day ever came when they couldn't blame the English for all their problems.

Can't disagree with any of that.

1 minute ago, Rayvin said:

@Meenzer Tim Farron has just refused to confirm whether or not homosexuality is a sin. Something I thought had been cleared up previously but which, looking at it now, he was apparently lying about last time, and can't force it past his conscience twice.

Not a good look for the Democrats sadly. They look like they're going to pick up very little of what we hoped.

He's the weakest leader they've ever had.

3 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

He's the weakest leader they've ever had.

Certainly the weakest I can remember. I think he'll resign following the vote.

EDIT - that said, one of the Tory MPs has defected to the Dems - so they've gained at least one seat they didn't already have! Well, very likely they have anyway.

Edited by Rayvin

They didn't have many options after the 2015 whitewash really. :lol: But yeah, it's not exactly ideal. I mean, I couldn't really care less what he talks about to the imaginary man in the sky as long as his voting record holds up, but it is kind of incongruous for the leader of a supposedly progressive party to be embroiled in discussions about this all the time, whether fairly or unfairly. More concerning is the lack of impact made by him and the party generally though (but we've talked about that already and I do think this GE poses a uniquely polarised set of circumstances, with every passing day it's becoming more like a yes/no referendum on the Tory way of doing things than anything else).

• Like 1

I've been away in Spain on leave for half term so only following things from afar. My experiences on the doorstep during my election road trip weren't particularly encouraging for Labour but that was a few weeks ago now. I'm not getting carried away just yet - listening to my liberal leftie echo chamber didn't work out for me with Brexit or Trump - but it doesn't look like it's going to be the disaster we feared, thanks mainly to May being seemingly intent on pissing it away. If the tories fail to secure a majority it'll be the biggest self inflicted political fuck up since Cameron called the EU referendum.

1 minute ago, Dr Gloom said:

I've been away in Spain on leave for half term so only following things from afar. My experiences on the doorstep during my election road trip weren't particularly encouraging for Labour but that was a few weeks ago now. I'm not getting carried away just yet - listening to my liberal leftie echo chamber didn't work out for me with Brexit or Trump - but it doesn't look like it's going to be the disaster we feared, thanks mainly to May being seemingly intent on pissing it away. If the tories fail to secure a majority it'll be the biggest self inflicted political fuck up since Cameron called the EU referendum.

:lol:

I love how we're living in an era where the biggest self inflicted political fuck ups come around on an almost yearly basis.

Edited by Rayvin

1 hour ago, Meenzer said:

They didn't have many options after the 2015 whitewash really. :lol: But yeah, it's not exactly ideal. I mean, I couldn't really care less what he talks about to the imaginary man in the sky as long as his voting record holds up, but it is kind of incongruous for the leader of a supposedly progressive party to be embroiled in discussions about this all the time, whether fairly or unfairly. More concerning is the lack of impact made by him and the party generally though (but we've talked about that already and I do think this GE poses a uniquely polarised set of circumstances, with every passing day it's becoming more like a yes/no referendum on the Tory way of doing things than anything else).

This is where I fall on it. You vote on the left side of the spectrum or you're basically admitting that you couldn't care less about the less fortunate in this country getting forced further and further into the shittest lives possible. For all the talk about how it's so interesting to look at seats, polls and leadership campaigns, this is an election based around the fundamentals of living in this country. Wages, safety nets, public services and your loved ones in situations where they need all of those. It's hard not to look at anyone who is aware of those things and votes for the Tories as beneath contempt tbh.

What's going on man, Jezza's went from quiet down and out to a hero, knight in shining armour in the space of 7 days. Madness :icon_lol:

I wonder what the Blairites are thinking now? All of this party division seems to have disappeared?