PRE-SEASON

Anorthernsoul

6 minutes ago, The Fish said:

He seems to get the luck of the bounce in the box a good amount, but so often he panics when the ball comes back. He had time to take a touch and either take the shot himself or, if rushed by a defender, pass to the now unmarked Gayle or Atsu.

Aye he definitely panicked when it came back to him, as you say he had ample time to pick out an unmarked team mate or place his shot. 

Shite defending there btw. 

1 minute ago, LooneyToony said:

Defensively the squad still has a lot of work to do before Spurs game.  More holes than a doughnut store.

Problem is when it comes to the defensive setup the only way to get it working is to have a settled back 4 for a run of games, pre-season that never happens. Sometimes there's up to 3 different lineups in one game, he needs to play his preferred back 4 in the final two friendlies IMO.

Just now, Anorthernsoul said:

Problem is when it comes to the defensive setup the only way to get it working is to have a settled back 4 for a run of games, pre-season that never happens. Sometimes there's up to 3 different lineups in one game, he needs to play his preferred back 4 in the final two friendlies IMO.

Yeah and while I understand the value in giving everybody 35-45 minutes each fixture to build their fitness, I think there's value in picking your first 11 as soon and as often as possible. The back four learn each other's habits and the right back knows what he can expect from the right winger, the striker knows which runs the midfield will more easily pick up/look for.

tbh I'd prefer to field one 11 in one fixture on the Saturday lunch time and a second 11 on the Sunday night. Give the starting 11's 20 minutes at the end of the other fixture.

21 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Merino on for ... Lejeune?

Aye, I couldn't figure out what he'd done at the back from the last 15 mins.

Did he drop Hayden back?

7 minutes ago, Anorthernsoul said:

From my perspective it seemed like they were setup reasonably well it's just that those that were on were incredibly lazy to challenge and/or mark anyone. It's this sort of indifferent defending that has killed us in the past and will continue to do so.

I think the central partnerships have all looked good (Lejeune still looks class to me).  Dummett and Atsu lazy for their goals today.

They had a man over on either the left or right for most of the game, the players either didn't spot it and correct it or didn't give enough of a shit to. The ground was in a hay field. There was a sort of family day going on pre match with a dj and a little stage set up. Afterwards there was a lad and his very fit missus singing Lionel Ritchie songs, then the whole Mainz squad came out on to the stage where another very fit lass interviewed them and made the new lads in the squad shout " ICH BIN EIN MEENZER!!" into the mic. I'd forgotten how sexy German girls sound when they speak English. I drank my own body weight in  Bitburger. 

The end.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

They had a man over on either the left or right for most of the game, the players either didn't spot it and correct it or didn't give enough of a shit to. The ground was in a hay field. There was a sort of family day going on pre match with a dj and a little stage set up. Afterwards there was a lad and his very fit missus singing Lionel Ritchie songs, then the whole Mainz squad came out on to the stage where another very fit lass interviewed them and made the new lads in the squad shout " ICH BIN EIN MEENZER!!" into the mic. I'd forgotten how sexy German girls sound when they speak English. I drank my own body weight in  Bitburger. 

The end.

:lol:  Sounds like a bit more fun that desperately trawling the internet for a stream.

Did anything different stand out about the new (or like new) signings watching them live?  Can you even remember?

17 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

I doubt it. He was so far gone he was turned on by a German accent. He'll be telling us South Africans sound sexy next. 

I can explain that...it all started here....     ❤️ 

This was before Imran Khan got inside her (head?! :lol: )  and she converted. To Islam.   

22 hours ago, adios said:

:lol:  Sounds like a bit more fun that desperately trawling the internet for a stream.

Did anything different stand out about the new (or like new) signings watching them live?  Can you even remember?

Bog standard pre season fare, barely a challenge in  sight. Not a lot to go on, Mainz could've mudered us on the break a few times though. 

lookslike the Wolfsburg games being broadcast at 4pm their time on Wednesday so far its being shown on 

Bosnia and Herzegovina Arena Sport 2, Arena Sport BIH

Croatia Arena Sport 2

Germany Sport1 Germany

Montenegro Arena Sport 2

Norway TV2 Sport Premium, TV2 Sumo

Portugal Sport TV2

Serbia Arena Sport 2, Arena Sport 1 Serbia

Spain Movistar+