Generic small time football blather thread FOREVER

Sonatine

6 minutes ago, Billy Whitehurst said:

Does anyone get any pleasure from watching England anymore? I can’t stand half the players, the officials, the media and the hype surrounding them. I completely understand why the Scottish, Irish and Welsh enjoy watching us exit major tournaments in increasingly hilarious fashion.

You should try supporting Ireland. :jesuswept:   

I don't really know anyone who gets pleasure out of England losing fwiw, not sure about the other two scoundrels on here.

7 minutes ago, Billy Whitehurst said:

Does anyone get any pleasure from watching England anymore? I can’t stand half the players, the officials, the media and the hype surrounding them. I completely understand why the Scottish, Irish and Welsh enjoy watching us exit major tournaments in increasingly hilarious fashion.

Nah

So much so that I'm gutted when it's an international weekend.

17 minutes ago, adios said:

You should try supporting Ireland. :jesuswept:   

I don't really know anyone who gets pleasure out of England losing fwiw, not sure about the other two scoundrels on here.

I don't mind seeing England do well as it keeps a bit of interest in the tournament with players I'm familiar with. Just as I like to see English clubs progress in Europe.

Doesn't mean I don't get a certain amount of joy seeing them crash out too though. ;) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Might be missing something here but is there not a bit of a conflict here with a manager who seemingly wants ball-player centre-halves and is happy to play grafters in the middle of the park?

31 minutes ago, Alex said:

Might be missing something here but is there not a bit of a conflict here with a manager who seemingly wants ball-player centre-halves and is happy to play grafters in the middle of the park?

Win the ball in midfield, pass back to defence, have them hoof slightly more accurate long balls to some midget up front.

Barca and the rest of the greats will all be emulating Southgate's masterplan by the end of the year.

1 hour ago, Billy Whitehurst said:

I do, not always pleasurable, don't always like the line-ups, but as an American once said; "My country, right or wrong"

13 minutes ago, Noelie said:

I do, not always pleasurable, don't always like the line-ups, but as an American once said; "My country, right or wrong"

He was born in Germany right :D

1 hour ago, Billy Whitehurst said:

I’ve felt this way for years about football in general and England in particular. The media hype in particular is moronic

4 hours ago, Tdansmith said:

He was born in Germany right :D

Nah, he was born in Maryland, USA.

Stephen Decatur, US Naval officer who said;  "Our country - in her intercourse with foreign nations,  may she always be in the right,  and always successful......right or wrong"

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Noelie said:

Nah, he was born in Maryland, USA.

Stephen Decatur, US Naval officer who said;  "Our country - in her intercourse with foreign nations,  may she always be in the right,  and always successful......right or wrong"

Fair enough, I'm getting it mixed up as your original post said "My country, right or wrong"  later attributed to Carl Schurz 1872.

But your fella said it first  :icon_lol:

( google is great isn't it ) 

16 hours ago, Billy Whitehurst said:

It's always a win - win situation watching England, if we win, get in, something to be happy about, we might have a chance blah blah blah ! 

But when we inevitably get beat or knocked out, I'm gutted but over it in five minutes or less  :icon_lol: 

When Newcastle get beat it can often take me days to get over it and those days are normally pissed off days :D

I agree with you about the media hype surrounding England, but that's just the normal behaviour for the English press, build something/ someone up then kick the fuckers when down. It's the English way. 

27 minutes ago, Tdansmith said:

Actually i just read "Karma" is a brand name ! 

So you may well be right   " Unfortunate coincidence " 

You honestly thought Topman were knowingly stocking a shirt referring to Hillsborough as karma? :lol: