"HOWAY THE SWEDE"

Optimistic Nut

Can't say I'd be over the moon with his appointment. Spent an obscene amount with Lazio and even then just won the title because the team that finished second (I forget who) threw it away on the final day. He's hardly proved himself to be tactically astute with England either. Then there are the obscene wages which meant we'd more than likely be unable to sack him ala Souness.

Barring the latest tabloid frenzy the other scandals have been of his own making haven't they? The women went to the papers not the papers hunting down the story. Not to mention his Mrs and her mouth almighty talking to TV programmes. I don't see other managers wives on This Morning. They're tabloid fodder and don't do much to avoid it.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He won the UEFA cup with Gothenburg, which was unexpected, and has won Serie A, the Cup Winners Cup, the Super Cup and the Italian Cup.

What more do you want? :unsure:

85122[/snapback]

Most successful England manager ever, in terms of results an'all.

Crap CV tbh. Where's the SPL Championship? That's what Renty baby's looking for. ;)

For a bloke that places so much emphasis on CVs, quite how you look at that and then look at O'Neill's and pick O'Neill is a mystery to me.

Also, Sven handled the pressure of the England job - there's tons of that as Newcastle manager. From what I've heard, O'Neill was a nightmare with the press a lot of the time as Celtic manager and struggled with the pressure (I appreciate that his wife's illness may have contributed) - if he struggled with the pressure of a two-horse race to the title, he may have one or two problems at Newcastle. :lol:

85126[/snapback]

It's all a question of who is right for Newcastle at this present time Gemmill - I think O'Neill has proven he can do a brilliant job with very little money, which is what we are going to have.

Fair play to Ericksson though, I didn't know about his success in some of the minor leagues. However, don't forget he has been in management an awful long time - considering this I think his CV is still a little bit bare, although not terrible like Souness's. What have been his low points I wonder?

I'd be delighted with either Sven or O'Neil. However Renton, I can't see how you'd dismiss Sven because he plays negative football. I don't think England play negative football, this all stems from the fact we didn't have a go at Brazil, which I agree was poor. He hasn't got the team playing negative in general, it's just he's shown that in pressure games he can sometimes bottle it tactically when we need to go shit or bust. That would be my only criticism of him, but his pedigree is excellent. Better than Souness anyway. :lol:

It's all a question of who is right for Newcastle at this present time Gemmill - I think O'Neill has proven he can do a brilliant job with very little money, which is what we are going to have.

Fair play to Ericksson though, I didn't know about his success in some of the minor leagues. However, don't forget he has been in management an awful long time - considering this I think his CV is still a little bit bare, although not terrible like Souness's. What have been his low points I wonder?

85131[/snapback]

You've proven throughout the course of this thread that you knew NOTHING about Erickson's CV. So shush.

85131[/snapback]

You've proven throughout the course of this thread that you knew NOTHING about Erickson's CV. So shush.

85133[/snapback]

You've proven over the last 18 months you knew NOTHING about Souness full stop. So shut it!

I also don't think Sven would have very little money to play with here, he may be in that situation initially but if he were to be here for a few years, I would imagine he'd be given plenty of financial backing.

IIRC Lazio hadn't won anything for a while....at least not the league which certainly has parallels with our "sleeping giant".

The PR from having someone of Ericsson's calibre plus the players he could both attract and persuade to stay would be far superior to many candidates in the frame currently.

On the other hand, he'd cost the earth and we could easily end up paying huge wages to journeymen footballers and STILL winning fuck all. :lol:

*carries on sitting on comfy fence*

85131[/snapback]

85133[/snapback]

You've proven over the last 18 months you knew NOTHING about Souness full stop. So shut it!

85136[/snapback]

:lol:

I'd obviously studied his CV about as closely as you'd studied Sven's. Now zip it!

85131[/snapback]

85133[/snapback]

How many managers have actually won anything in England though, and are likely to take over at Newcastle?

85131[/snapback]

And he's proven he knows no other way to play football apart from the long ball :lol:

Sven In!

85131[/snapback]

And he's proven he knows no other way to play football apart from the long ball :lol:

Sven In!

85174[/snapback]

Has he? Please explain what you're basing this on, I'd like to know.

85131[/snapback]

Sven In!

85174[/snapback]

85179[/snapback]

Wycombe, Leicester and Celtic I would imagine.

85131[/snapback]

Sven In!

85174[/snapback]

85179[/snapback]

He says it on his CV. Pay attention, Double-Oh Renton!

I take it Renton has never seen any MON's teams play. And to think he wrote such a good post yesterday, obviously a one-off :lol:

85189[/snapback]

Well, I've seen Celtic play a bit, especially in the Larson era, and they seemed pretty easy on the eye to me. Did OK in Europe considering too.

Must admit, I never really watched Leicester or Wycombe like.

I take it Renton has never seen any MON's teams play. And to think he wrote such a good post yesterday, obviously a one-off :lol:

85189[/snapback]

Well, I've seen Celtic play a bit, especially in the Larson era, and they seemed pretty easy on the eye to me. Did OK in Europe considering too.

85191[/snapback]

Definitely a long ball man, even with Larsson in the team. I like O'Neill though and I think he'd be a massive improvement.

85191[/snapback]

With the pacey forward line of Heskey and Claridge there was only one way to play....Hooooooooof....

As for Celtic, they were also mostly big hoof, but Larson was/is a superb footballer who worked well with both Sutton and Hartson.

However, I'm not having ago at O'Neil for this type of football, because he'd get results from it by buying players who could play these roles well, which is why I wouldn't mind if he came here.

85191[/snapback]

With the pacey forward line of Heskey and Claridge there was only one way to play....Hooooooooof....

As for Celtic, they were also mostly big hoof, but Larson was/is a superb footballer who worked well with both Sutton and Hartson.

However, I'm not having ago at O'Neil for this type of football, because he'd get results from it by buying players who could play these roles well, which is why I wouldn't mind if he came here.

85197[/snapback]

That's the thing like, he'd get players in who could fit in with the way he plays. He also seems to be a very good motivator, no doubt Cloughie taught him a lot in that respect.

85191[/snapback]

85197[/snapback]

I'm just questioning if he really is as one dimensional as people make out. I reckon he could adapt his play to suit the league and his players - however, I accept I might be wrong.

It's funny though, Allerdyce is labelled as a hoof merchant. I never really watch Bolton except when they play us at home, but when I see goal highlights they by no means always come from the long ball.

85191[/snapback]

85197[/snapback]

That's the thing like, he'd get players in who could fit in with the way he plays. He also seems to be a very good motivator, no doubt Cloughie taught him a lot in that respect.

85200[/snapback]

He's good at spotting 'proper' players. :lol:

85191[/snapback]

85197[/snapback]

I'm just questioning if he really is as one dimensional as people make out. I reckon he could adapt his play to suit the league and his players - however, I accept I might be wrong.

It's funny though, Allerdyce is labelled as a hoof merchant. I never really watch Bolton except when they play us at home, but when I see goal highlights they by no means always come from the long ball.

85205[/snapback]

I agree with that like, Bolton score some canny goals imo, but if you believed the press then all of their goals supposedly come from long throws, indirect freekicks, and corners. I liken them to a classic ice hockey team, they have small flair players who can do some excellent stuff, but you also have the balance of big hard bastards who are sent out there to protect them. He's packed his team half full of enforcers basically. If it's legal and it works then fair play to them.