Film/moving picture show you most recently watched

Jimbo

Is it any good in spite of Will Smith?

Wor lass is wanting taken along-inexplicably the Will Smith factor isn't the natural deterrent it ought to be to her so I need to build a case.

Hidden - Call me old fashioned but I like my thrillers to end up resolved, there's no point in keeping me on the edge of my seat then leaving me there. It's not that I dislike open ended films per se, Lost in Translation for example is quality, but for a film to do that it should really be asking the viewer bigger, unanswerable questions about life, not whodunnit? That said, I did thoroughly enjoy the film and it did ask bigger questions about the nature of guilt, lies, good intentions etc. it just didn't follow the genre convention which was unsatisfying for me.

Little Miss Sunshine - I really wanted to hate this film. I don't like to enjoy 'quirky' films. I think Wes Anderson is a mong. And on top of the quirks, this thing has a cute little 6 year old being upbeat when people die and generally tugging at the heart strings in a really manipulative way. And it worked. I thought it was brilliant. The 40 Year Old Virgin is hilarious, playing it straight as a suicidal failure. Could be my favourite of last year. If you liked Me and You and Everyone We know or Sideways give it a whirl.

I'm glad someone else has said that. I watched Rushmore when it was on over Christmas and thought it was pap.

I really fancied seeing Hidden but I'm not so sure now.

I'd quite like to see it like. Will Smith's fairly inoffensive, isn't he? Tick tick tick tick.....BOOM! :lol:

:lol:

Have you been honking on your crack pipe, Scott!

Just trying to redress the balance with all these claims of racism flying around. :lol: Seriously though, I don't really have anything against the bloke. :lol:

I'd quite like to see it like. Will Smith's fairly inoffensive, isn't he? Tick tick tick tick.....BOOM! :lol:

:lol:

Have you been honking on your crack pipe, Scott!

Just trying to redress the balance with all these claims of racism flying around. :lol: Seriously though, I don't really have anything against the bloke. :lol:

Is he black? :lol:

I'm so PC I don't even notice colour tbh.

Will Smith is THE reason to see it. Nice to know your lass actually has taste, Sammy - in spite of the fact she's going out with you :lol:

The kid in it is his son in real life, isn't he?

Aye.

Going to go and watch The Last King Of Scotland in a minute, everything I've heard about it is good, Forest for an Oscar apparently, hope it lives up to the hype.

Read a review in the Guardian which was full of high praise. Fancy seeing it myself.

Going to go and watch The Last King Of Scotland in a minute, everything I've heard about it is good, Forest for an Oscar apparently, hope it lives up to the hype.

Read a review in the Guardian which was full of high praise. Fancy seeing it myself.

I went to see it at the weekend, it was excellent - particularly the peformance from Forest Whitaker.

To be fair Forest Whitaker's career peaked with his debut as an undercover cop in Bloodsport, he's never going to be in a better film than that!!! :lol:

I went to see it at the weekend, it was excellent - particularly the peformance from Forest Whitaker.

To be fair Forest Whitaker's career peaked with his debut as an undercover cop in Bloodsport, he's never going to be in a better film than that!!! :lol:

He was utterly fantastic in series 5 of The Shield.

Sadly no. :lol:

Don't get me wrong it's pretty good, well made, Forest is good, but not on screen enough - it's basically a supporting role - and the standard of acting is pretty high all round. But, there's very little background, meaning you don't come out knowing much more about Idi Amin than you did before you went in and the central character is basically a self-centred wanker, so you don't really give a shit what happens to him.

Actually, the more I think about it, the more issues I have with it, considering it's fiction - the main character is apparently an amalgam of a number of people - a few of the story lines are just left hanging with just a kind of half hearted attempt to tie them up at the end.

Altogether, it's not bad, but I was expecting to be blown away and it simply didn't deliver on that at all.

6.1/10