Film/moving picture show you most recently watched

Jimbo

Got that Blood diamonds to watch tomorrow, meant to be good

"Water cooler issuetainment at it's most water cooler issuetaining!"

:blush:

What? <_<

Never mind.

Critic quote that what was going to go on the poster.

Children of Men, I haven't been that engrossed in a film for years.

:blink:

Just got round to watching it and thought it was stunning. The best film I've seen from last year by a long long way. Since the dawn of CGI it's rare that a film shot leaves me gobsmacked, I never look at something and wonder how on earth did they do that, because I know how they did it and it's not particularly impressive that a fat nerd sat at a pc and did it. But there's a shot in this that I've now watched 4 times and I'm still baffled. It would be worth it for that alone, but everything in it is as perfectly conceived (pun intended) and executed. It's handheld and shaky but everything is as perfectly framed as could be. I was quite happy with the oscar nominations, but now I realise they're a travesty. This wuz robbed.

And an unexpected airing of The Blaydon Races to boot. After seeing Alan Shearers appearance in Beast Cops last week I wouldn't now be surprised if Micky Quinn pops up in the Pursuit of Happyness.

Just got round to watching it and thought it was stunning. The best film I've seen from last year by a long long way. Since the dawn of CGI it's rare that a film shot leaves me gobsmacked, I never look at something and wonder how on earth did they do that, because I know how they did it and it's not particularly impressive that a fat nerd sat at a pc and did it. But there's a shot in this that I've now watched 4 times and I'm still baffled. It would be worth it for that alone, but everything in it is as perfectly conceived (pun intended) and executed. It's handheld and shaky but everything is as perfectly framed as could be. I was quite happy with the oscar nominations, but now I realise they're a travesty. This wuz robbed.

And an unexpected airing of The Blaydon Races to boot. After seeing Alan Shearers appearance in Beast Cops last week I wouldn't now be surprised if Micky Quinn pops up in the Pursuit of Happyness.

Which shot?

Which shot?

The seven minute long one in the car.

Last night I watched...

505023~The-Benchwarmers-Posters.jpg

Not bad, a typical Rob Schneider comedy with plenty of childish humour.

Followed by...

B000058E3L.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Possibly the best film Eddie Murphy has made IMO.

Trading Places tbh.

Put a sock in it Jaffy! :blink:

Jimbo we all know you only prefer Trading Places due to the chebs on show.

There are a few in Cuming to America too !

:)

Which shot?

Just finished watching it, very enjoyable, even though it was bitterly depressing and bleak, thoroughly well acted and directed.

Which shot?

Just finished watching it, very enjoyable, even though it was bitterly depressing and bleak, thoroughly well acted and directed.

It's a bleak vision but a reasonably happy ending I thought.

Which shot?

A happy ending in the "Titanic" sense ? :blink:

Which shot?

A happy ending in the "Titanic" sense ? :blink:

In the "keep faith in the human project (mankind)" sense!

Christ on a bike, here's me joking about it, I put on The Queen and Tony Blair spends half the film parading around in a Toon strip. We're taking over Hollywood man. Thoroughly enjoyed it. In the words of Shakin Stevens "lovely stuff". Both the Queen and Tony Blair are played sympathetically, which was nice, though Michael Sheen does have a hint of Rik Mayall about him so I couldn't stop thinking of Alan B'stard.

This shot in the car passed me by, I'm afraid to say.

The first time I watched it I was just amazed at how visceral it was for a scene with so few cuts but toward the end I realised there'd actually been none whatsoever and had to go back and re-watch it.

The view is from inside their car and starts with friendly banter and some CG used to spit a ping pong ball back and forward between the teeth of two characters. The camera inexplicably moves between the front and back seats and through the actors sitting in them. The action then starts with a flaming vehicle seen through the windscreen hurtling down a hill toward them. It explodes in front of them and hundreds of hostiles come at them with guns and bats and that, so they start reversing at speed and a motorbike with two people on gives chase. A major plot point occurs which I won't spoil, then someone in the car opens a door to knock the bike over and the 2 passengers are thrown all over the shop landing on the bonnet and that. Still no cuts and the camera moving freely from back to front. They straighten the car and flee, but the police pull them over. Another plot point occurs while the camera pulls out of the car through a closed door/window to survey they external scene. The car then drives off.

This isn't the whole scene, just a section. Please don't watch it if you haven't seen the film, there's significant spoilers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o88-4Vy22VY

There's another amazing battle scene later without cuts, it didn't astound me so much as it's just perfectly executed rather than inexplicably, if you've already scene the film, marvel at it again...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dZxdTZOcx4

Ah, I remember it now. I must admit I'm not very technically minded when it comes to films, I hardly ever think about how such and such was filmed etc. But I suppose it's directing like this that made the film as engrossing as I said it was earlier.

Ah, I remember it now. I must admit I'm not very technically minded when it comes to films, I hardly ever think about how such and such was filmed etc. But I suppose it's directing like this that made the film as engrossing as I said it was earlier.

It's ridiculous Cauron isn't up for best director at the Oscars and The Queen bloke is, for doing what amounts to ITV drama work.

It's ridiculous Cauron isn't up for best director at the Oscars and The Queen bloke is, for doing what amounts to ITV drama work.

The Oscars are a load of sentimental back slapping shite anyway, they really shouldn't be used to judge a film/actor/director/etc's quality.

The Black Dahlia

I'm so pissed off I watched this movie tonight, not because I didn't want to watch it, but I was lumbered with two people whose taste in film starts and end with the Transporter-esque shite we see.

It's a really engaging film and some of the sets and wadrobe pieces are sumptious. I found that the climax was a little too rushed and I while I probably would have enjoyed it a hell of a lot more if I wasn't having to explain plot lines and character interactions for 50% of the film, I did find it an entertaining way to spend the 2 hours or so.

The Private Life Of Sherlock Holmes.

Billy Wilders take on the worlds greatest ever detective showing him as posibily gay (although I thought the ending suggested otherwise), a drug adict and nowhere near as infallible as in most (if not every) other film/story.

Really interesting and well acted by relitavely unknown actors (apart from Christopher Lee as Mycroft) it's well worth watching. Unfortunately as it's took me about three weeks to watch in 20 minute sessions I completely spoiled it for myself.

I've got Dogville & Hidden in the house from Lovefilm so I will hopefully watch one of those tonight.