Film/moving picture show you most recently watched

Jimbo

Sergio Leone's Once Upon A Time In The West

Forgot how much a classic spaghetti western this was,so i bought the special edition dvd

By far the most iconic of Sergio Leone's spaghetti Westerns, "Once Upon A Time in the West" is also a masterpiece of cinema by any standards. Leone here plays with themes and images of the West far deeper than those of his previous "Dollars" trilogy, subverting the conventions of the Hollywood Western to show, in a sense, the "death" of the old West.

If you're going to copy and paste from other sites you should really provide a link or at least put it in quotes..

http://www.hmv.co.uk/hmvweb/displayProduct...1&sku=59748

You wouldn't want to get sued would you

:razz:

I could sense a little panic in you thinking i was about to take over your film review genius status,hence the search <_<

:puke: Pulp Fiction DVD broken, is it? :o

Sin City. It looked really nice and comic-book like, but let's be honest, the story wasn't very good, was it?

Dunno, it's still in it's cellophane ;)

watched evolution a yesterday, I had forgotten that it wasnt actually a bad film. Obviously nothing really special, but its more than worth a second watch.

gonna watch "over the hedge" tomorrow, I shall report back with my views ;)

watched evolution a yesterday, I had forgotten that it wasnt actually a bad film. Obviously nothing really special, but its more than worth a second watch.

Do you like in a trailer park? :o

Do you like in a trailer park? :o

Do i what in a trailer park? :puke:

Apocolypto - I hate Mel Gibson, I wanted to see Employee of the Month but it had sold out so I was stuck with another subtitled pile of shite. How wrong I was. A great film if you don't read too much into the historical side of it. As you would expect from an Adolf Gibson film it's massively one sided and isn't closely historical in anyway. Still, it's a brilliantly brutal film and it kept me on the edge of my seat for the whole two hours.

b000eqhhem02ss500sclzzzbh2.jpg

Futebol

Brazillian series of 3 feature length documentaries on the people that play the game there. Made by Joao Moreira Salles (brother of Walter Salles who made The Motorcycle Diaries and Central Station) it's a lush 4 disc set that should be £40 but can be picked up for under a tenner. Link. Originally released and shown around France '98 it's a quality watch.

Episode 1 looks at the kids trying to get into the game and break out of poverty, thousands of them turn up for Flamengo's open sessions and the vast majority have the hopes of their entire family on their backs. Even the few that get selected and are followed have little chance of actually making it. Very sad this one.

Part 2 follows a couple of the lucky ones who've graduated to the Flamengo first team. Fan favourites one game then the object of mass abuse the next, it amazingly made me feel sorry for people lucky enough to get into that position. All the money they're paid should not excuse a man being fearful of going out in public with his girlfreind. I might even not punch Luque in the face if I see him now.

Section 3 is a week in the life of a retired player. Paulo Cezar won the world cup in the 70's and was like a Brazilian Rodney Marsh. Clinging on to past glory he at least had the good sense to invest in some property that sustains him unlike others who don't have his intelligence. He looks absoloutley gutted sitting in the Maracana with thousands of fans who don't even recognise him let alone give him the respect he feels he's due.

All 3 parts include Brazillian legends (Pele, Zico etc) looking back on their careers, giving contrast with the players being portrayed.

Recommended.

Apocolypto - I hate Mel Gibson, I wanted to see Employee of the Month but it had sold out so I was stuck with another subtitled pile of shite. How wrong I was. A great film if you don't read too much into the historical side of it. As you would expect from an Adolf Gibson film it's massively one sided and isn't closely historical in anyway. Still, it's a brilliantly brutal film and it kept me on the edge of my seat for the whole two hours.

Melvin 'Gemmill' Gibson shirley?

Hidden - Call me old fashioned but I like my thrillers to end up resolved, there's no point in keeping me on the edge of my seat then leaving me there. It's not that I dislike open ended films per se, Lost in Translation for example is quality, but for a film to do that it should really be asking the viewer bigger, unanswerable questions about life, not whodunnit? That said, I did thoroughly enjoy the film and it did ask bigger questions about the nature of guilt, lies, good intentions etc. it just didn't follow the genre convention which was unsatisfying for me.

Little Miss Sunshine - I really wanted to hate this film. I don't like to enjoy 'quirky' films. I think Wes Anderson is a mong. And on top of the quirks, this thing has a cute little 6 year old being upbeat when people die and generally tugging at the heart strings in a really manipulative way. And it worked. I thought it was brilliant. The 40 Year Old Virgin is hilarious, playing it straight as a suicidal failure. Could be my favourite of last year. If you liked Me and You and Everyone We know or Sideways give it a whirl.

The Pursuit of Happyness - If you expected anything other than feel good American nonesense, then you'll be disappointed.

AMerican fucks can't even spell.

If you watch the film you'll know why it's spelled like that.