Film/moving picture show you most recently watched

Jimbo

You would think the cost of becoming a scientologist would keep it from the masses enough to prevent it ever become anything major.  I'd also like to think as species we have less need to follow such things.  But I suspect that's wishful thinking.

People always strive for meaning, and I think we have less of that now than we've had at any previous point in our existence. Can we cope with the void, is the question?

People always strive for meaning, and I think we have less of that now than we've had at any previous point in our existence. Can we cope with the void, is the question?

That's all been dealt wiv starting in the 60/70's with Sartre, Camus, Ionescu, Genet etc.. and ending with Beckett about 30 years ago...;)

If I catch myself striving for meaning I punch myself in the bollocks. :)

I have a book from Slavoj Zizek that I'm working through presently, but he's not really a 'meaning of life' philosopher so much as a political/social one.

Anyway, I should read more of what these people say I guess. The Greeks it is.

Edited by Rayvin

:lol:

I'll admit to not being up on my philosophers, I'll have to give it a look. You reckon starting with Sartre then?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theatre_of_the_Absurd

Don't go straight in with Beckett as it is a bit out there although 'Murphy' is light and humorous in parts.

Start with Sartre as there is a welcoming field of the familiar. 'The Age of Reason' is a beautiful novel I've read and re-read.

The Age of Reason[1] (French: L'âge de raison) is a 1945 novel by Jean-Paul Sartre. It is the first part of the trilogy The Roads to Freedom. The novel, set in the bohemian Paris of the late 1930s, focuses on three days in the life of a philosophy teacher named Mathieu who is seeking money to pay for an abortion for his mistress, Marcelle. Sartre analyses the motives of various characters and their actions and takes into account the perceptions of others to give the reader a comprehensive picture of the main character."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean-Paul_Sartre

Age of Reason and The Reprieve and Iron in the Soul' read in that order.

Edited by Park Life

L'Etranger is worth a read. It's a novel rather than a philosophical essay though. Which is probably why I think it's worth reading

I'll make have to make a list :lol:

Thanks though, I think it'd be genuinely interesting to explore this stuff.

I have a book from Slavoj Zizek that I'm working through presently, but he's not really a 'meaning of life' philosopher so much as a political/social one.

Anyway, I should read more of what these people say I guess. The Greeks it is.

I like the cut of his jib but 10 minutes on Youtube is enough for me.

Thanks for that Parky, I'll start educating myself.

You can cut through a lot of shit by going straight from the Greeks to Nietzsche and then his later French counterparts Derrida and Foucault....Throw in a bit of Jung for good measure but not too much.

Trump is the epitome of 'Will to Power'. :lol:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Influence_and_reception_of_Friedrich_Nietzsche

According to philosopher Rene Girard,[22] Nietzsche's greatest political legacy lies in his 20th century interpreters, among them Georges Bataille, Michel Foucault, Gilles Deleuze (and Félix Guattari), and Jacques Derrida... Foucault's later writings, for example, revise Nietzsche's genealogical method to develop anti-foundationalist theories of power that divide and fragment rather than unite polities (as evinced in the liberal tradition of political theory). Deleuze, arguably the foremost of Nietzsche's Leftist interpreters, used the much-maligned "will to power" thesis in tandem with Marxian notions of commodity surplus and Freudian ideas of desire to articulate concepts such as the rhizome and other "outsides" to state power as traditionally conceived."

Edited by Park Life