Joelinton

wykikitoon

9 minutes ago, Craig said:

Aye ... we lost against Everton, but not to worry lads, we had a better xG than than :rolleyes:

This.

I bet you've read all Jeremy Clarkson's books.

Which was your favourite? 

"If you'd just let me finish..."

"For crying out loud" 

"Really?"

Those book titles are a masterclass in tell me you're a cunt without telling me you're a cunt btw. :lol:

• Haha 3

15 minutes ago, Craig said:

Aye ... we lost against Everton, but not to worry lads, we had a better xG than them :rolleyes:

This.

It shows that that 1-0 loss wasn't a sign of being worse than Everton, just that we were unlucky to lose that game. Which we were. 

It means that when some gobshite says "Wuh ganning doon!, Wuh cannit even beat Everton man!" You can cough a little ahem, adjust your monocle and explain over your copy of the FT just how fucking wrong and stupid that person is.

7 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

"For crying out loud" 

"Really?"

Those book titles are a masterclass in tell me you're a cunt without telling me you're a cunt btw. :lol:

Absolutely 100% not - i can only assume you used xG to draw yet another meaningless and inaccurate conclusion. :lol: 

4 minutes ago, The Fish said:

It shows that that 1-0 loss wasn't a sign of being worse than Everton, just that we were unlucky to lose that game. Which we were. 

It means that when some gobshite says "Wuh ganning doon!, Wuh cannit even beat Everton man!" You can cough a little ahem, adjust your monocle and explain over your copy of the FT just how fucking wrong and stupid that person is.

You only need to use your eyes to show that Dave. It doesn't need some bullshit stat which is meaningless. 

I thought you had more about you to disprove CT's 'profit of doom' theories.

6 minutes ago, Craig said:

Absolutely 100% not - i can only assume you used xG to draw yet another meaningless and inaccurate conclusion. :lol: 

I could just hear the Hamster laughing at your "But GUYS, we got the most xG!? How could we POSSIBLY not have won if you'd just let me finish for crying out loud really!?" comment. That's all. :razz:

No you div, I watch the game with my eyes and make observations based on that. Not on some meaningless bullshit stat that is open for interpretation, nor just what the scoreline is. It's not that fucking hard to get your head around, once you've got it out of your spreadsheets FFS :lol:

Edited by Craig

16 minutes ago, Craig said:

You only need to use your eyes to show that Dave. It doesn't need some bullshit stat which is meaningless. 

I thought you had more about you to disprove CT's 'profit of doom' theories.

We were unlucky

No we weren't

A real Algonquin round table discussion there.

14 minutes ago, Craig said:

No you div, I watch the game with my eyes and make observations based on that. Not on some meaningless bullshit stat that is open for interpretation, nor just what the scoreline is. It's not that fucking hard to get your head around, once you've got it out of your spreadsheets FFS :lol:

So instead you rely on gut. Without any evidence beyond that to back up your position?

Seems, I dunno, a bit Brexity.

5 minutes ago, spongebob toonpants said:

Now there is no call for that

How else can we work out which Cambridge Tory cunt will run the country?

Ohhh, I see your point.

Edited by The Fish

9 minutes ago, The Fish said:

So instead you rely on gut. Without any evidence beyond that to back up your position?

Seems, I dunno, a bit Brexity.

Yes, because i'm confident in my own analysis and don't feel the need to prove / disprove anything. Fundamentally what you're wanting to do is make something that is opinion-based, fact-based.

If you want to sit there smugly tapping at your abacus going "See, my calculations prove beyond all doubt we were unlucky." then fill your load. It surely would only serves to piss you off further.

8 minutes ago, Craig said:

Yes, because i'm confident in my own analysis and don't feel the need to prove / disprove anything. Fundamentally what you're wanting to do is make something that is opinion-based, fact-based.

If you want to sit there smugly tapping at your abacus going "See, my calculations prove beyond all doubt we were unlucky." then fill your load. It surely would only serves to piss you off further.

That's the thing though, it's not binary. You can have an opinion that's backed up with stats, or the opposing opinion backed up with different stats. It doesn't boil the conversation down to numbers. Stats aren't going to replace opinion. When I argued with essembee about Joelinton's laziness, I could lay out my case and subsequently back it up with irrefutable proof. I could have eventually worn him down with non-stat arguments, but stats hastened the conclusion.

When pundits said Bruce was as good as Benitez, that the team was playing the same way and paradoxically playing more attacking football, did it not wind you up? 

When stats were able to prove that, in fact Bruce's football was terrible in almost every measure, did you not feel vindicated? That your own analysis was supported by other people?

:lol:

I started off thinking this was banter but honestly I'm not sure anymore. It's a full blown qualitative vs quantitative argument.

I love statistical analysis of, frankly, most things - but I also think you can just watch the game and come up with fairly similar conclusions from a qualitative assessment. Then again I've only got one prediction right so far, what do I know.

• Like 1

Craig, I feel like you've pulled a Putin here. You've backed yourself into a corner and you're coming up with increasingly stupid justifications.

Do we need to provide you with an off-ramp? What would constitute success for you here? Or at least allow you to save face and admit that statistical analysis has merit, but allow you to continue to trust your feelies more. 

9 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

:lol:

I started off thinking this was banter but honestly I'm not sure anymore. It's a full blown qualitative vs quantitative argument.

I love statistical analysis of, frankly, most things - but I also think you can just watch the game and come up with fairly similar conclusions from a qualitative assessment. Then again I've only got one prediction right so far, what do I know.

Ooooooh, look at me, I'm Rayvin and I understand EeeeEeeeverybody's point of view. Pathetic.

Pick a side, you pervert.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Gemmill said:

"For crying out loud" 

"Really?"

The biggest cunt (long pause) in the world 

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, The Fish said:

That's the thing though, it's not binary. You can have an opinion that's backed up with stats, or the opposing opinion backed up with different stats. It doesn't boil the conversation down to numbers. Stats aren't going to replace opinion. When I argued with essembee about Joelinton's laziness, I could lay out my case and subsequently back it up with irrefutable proof. I could have eventually worn him down with non-stat arguments, but stats hastened the conclusion.

When pundits said Bruce was as good as Benitez, that the team was playing the same way and paradoxically playing more attacking football, did it not wind you up? 

When stats were able to prove that, in fact Bruce's football was terrible in almost every measure, did you not feel vindicated? That your own analysis was supported by other people?

Honestly, no because it's their opinion which I don't have to agree with, nor disprove. 

Without trying to come across as facetious it boils down to whether you need to irrefutably clarify a conclusion in you mind or whether you can walk away from a discussion 'agreeing to disagree'. I'm most definitely in the latter group but also, as Rayvin points out I do like some level of statistical analysis - however I'm of the opinion that it should be there to support a viewpoint, not prove it.

Then again I have 20 year old daughter who HAS to have the last word every time. Perhaps I've just become well versed in walking away from discussions that I know are never going to be cordially agreed and I can't be arsed to expend further energy on it :lol:

12 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Craig, I feel like you've pulled a Putin here. You've backed yourself into a corner and you're coming up with increasingly stupid justifications.

Do we need to provide you with an off-ramp? What would constitute success for you here? Or at least allow you to save face and admit that statistical analysis has merit, but allow you to continue to trust your feelies more. 

WTF? :lol:

No, you don't. I've never disputed stats has its merits. I just don't agree you need xG to prove when the end result was justified or not. 

4 minutes ago, Craig said:

Honestly, no because it's their opinion which I don't have to agree with, nor disprove. 

Without trying to come across as facetious it boils down to whether you need to irrefutably clarify a conclusion in you mind or whether you can walk away from a discussion 'agreeing to disagree'. I'm most definitely in the latter group but also, as Rayvin points out I do like some level of statistical analysis - however I'm of the opinion that it should be there to support a viewpoint, not prove it.

Then again I have 20 year old daughter who HAS to have the last word every time. Perhaps I've just become well versed in walking away from discussions that I know are never going to be cordially agreed and I can't be arsed to expend further energy on it :lol:

Fucking made me spit my tea out. 

9 minutes ago, Craig said:

it boils down to whether you need to irrefutably clarify a conclusion in you mind or whether you can walk away from a discussion 'agreeing to disagree'. I'm most definitely in the latter group  

I think we've found your off-ramp. 

23 minutes ago, Craig said:

I hear you there Sister. And let me tell you, they never change