Jump to content

Euro 2020/1


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My bamp neighbours have invited a load of their scummer mates round for a barbecue, and the fucking heavens have opened. Each raindrop like a bucket.     

Get tae fucking fuck.

Posted Images

I dunno. A moment that a bunch of people have waited a lifetime to see kind of feels like a time for the exact opposite of perspective to me. It's like trying to halt a goal celebration for being "a bit much guys, OK?" 

Edited by Gemmill
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

60 odd thousand folk enjoying themselves, no social distancing, not a mask to be seen, singing, jumping about like loons, hugging each other, fucking loved it.  hopefully a capacity crowd for the final.

was a shit game mind.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Gemmill said:

I dunno. A moment that a bunch of people have waited a lifetime to see kind of feels like a time for the exact opposite of perspective to me. 

 

Okay. I think it's way OTT personally for a semi final victory. Could easily backfire. I'll be tuning out of all media sources for a few days now, cos apart from anything it really is boring as shit. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, thebrokendoll said:

60 odd thousand folk enjoying themselves, no social distancing, not a mask to be seen, singing, jumping about like loons, hugging each other, fucking loved it.  hopefully a capacity crowd for the final.

was a shit game mind.

 

Yeah, a massive spike on top of a spike is what we need as well. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

:lol:

 

Someone else can take a shift. This is unreal. Actively going out of your way to just enjoy something or enjoy other people enjoying something. 

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well if there's one thing England are famous for around major tournaments it's a sense of perspective. :lol: 

To be fair, this time round most of the media weren't too bad until you beat Germany but you're in the final now so go nuts and enjoy it. But obviously keep all your lolz, bantz, whimsy and silliness to this thread.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

:lol:

 

Someone else can take a shift. This is unreal. Actively going out of your way to just enjoy something or enjoy other people enjoying something. 

 

Well you can't really enjoy a team's success who you don't support. Ironically I've probably been to more England matches than most on this thread, which is why I can't get on board with it, after direct experience. I was okay with it until then. 

 

But the coverage for me 8s much like a royal wedding. Its OTT and I've just no personal interest in it. I'll watch on Sunday and dread the result either way. Win, and this goes on forever. Lose, and fuck knows what the over reaction will be. Only winner is covid. 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not just Renton tbf - almost all the highest voted comments on the Daily Mail's match report are from people wishing that Denmark had won because they didn't take the knee and England did.

 

Gammon rage now transcends even football success.

 

I can see Renton's point a bit tbh, and I know a few people who are saying similar things but at the end of the day I think the majority have this one right. Life is short and shit enough without reining yourself in during moments of pure joy. This won't unify the country - don't think anything can - but it does at least represent a temporary ceasefire that everyone can get behind with some positivity, and that its lasting another 4 days is better than if it didn't.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I want them to win but it won't devastate me if they don't, semi final of the European championship and I was completely relaxed about it in a way I just wouldn't be if NUFC were in a semi final or pre-derby game. I think my chill must be rubbing off on the players so I'll take any credit going if we win. :good:

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

13 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

It's not just Renton tbf - almost all the highest voted comments on the Daily Mail's match report are from people wishing that Denmark had won because they didn't take the knee and England did.

 

Gammon rage now transcends even football success.

 

I can see Renton's point a bit tbh, and I know a few people who are saying similar things but at the end of the day I think the majority have this one right. Life is short and shit enough without reining yourself in during moments of pure joy. This won't unify the country - don't think anything can - but it does at least represent a temporary ceasefire that everyone can get behind with some positivity, and that its lasting another 4 days is better than if it didn't.

 

So are we saying that Renton has found himself in the same section of the Venn Diagram as the gammons? :razz:

If enjoyment of this moment doesn't come to you, that's one thing. You can't help that. But to be critical of the very idea of enjoyment is another thing entirely. To turn up in the immediate aftermath of the final whistle and be like "what the fuck is all this cheering about?" and to wake up the next morning going "OMG people are gonna be happy about this for DAYS!".

 

Because this isn't just about 5 Live talking about statues or the nonsense that will be whipped up in the press over the next few days, this was criticism of the celebrations literally as they were happening. 

 

I find that bizarre. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

I want them to win but it won't devastate me if they don't, semi final of the European championship and I was completely relaxed about it in a way I just wouldn't be if NUFC were in a semi final or pre-derby game. I think my chill must be rubbing off on the players so I'll take any credit going if we win. :good:

 

Aye I'm kinda with you tbh - Newcastle succeeding would mean more to me than this - but I remember watching the semi final of Euro 96 as a kid and being devastated about it, and that part of me is now pretty excited :D 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

 

 

So are we saying that Renton has found himself in the same section of the Venn Diagram as the gammons? :razz:

 

If enjoyment of this moment doesn't come to you, that's one thing. You can't help that. But to be critical of the very idea of enjoyment is another thing entirely. To turn up in the immediate aftermath of the final whistle and be like "what the fuck is all this cheering about?" and to wake up the next morning going "OMG people are gonna be happy about this for DAYS!".

 

Because this isn't just about 5 Live talking about statues or the nonsense that will be whipped up in the press over the next few days, this was criticism of the celebrations literally as they were happening. 

 

I find that bizarre. 

 

No. I'm not in the Venn diagram section of the gammons. I actually like the players, I just don't support them. It's the gammon fans I have first hand experience of and, well, hate tbh.

 

I wasn't criticising the celebrations last night, it was the commentators I thought were ridiculous ("30 minutes to change your life" etc). I wasn't the only one. ANd yes, this morning statues for the players. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Renton said:

I'm just bemused tbh. Some perspective is needed imo.

Well you definitely did the right thing listening to a phone in on radio 5 this morning if that is what you were after 

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Alex said:

Well you definitely did the right thing listening to a phone in on radio 5 this morning if that is what you were after 

 

It's my alarm! 

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Was just looking around reddit on the football subs and I have to say like, the rest of Europe is -not- taking this well. People fucking hate us :lol: 

 

Apparently Denmark were the fairytale team of the tournament which doesn't help us, but clearly many people in Europe are just fucking sick of us now. In general.

 

Which I might add, I'm finding fairly amusing...

 

It's just football ffs. And it's not as if the England team don't deserve this.

Edited by Rayvin
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Renton said:

 

Okay. I think it's way OTT personally for a semi final victory. Could easily backfire. I'll be tuning out of all media sources for a few days now, cos apart from anything it really is boring as shit. 


:lol: first final for 55 years and the celebrations are over the top. Was Droopy your favourite cartoon character as a kid?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Matterface solemnly quoting from Three Lions like it was Shakespeare at kick off and at the end was pretty fucking brutal too. 

That fasten your seatbelts bit at the start of the game, man. Pure unintentional comedy gold :lol: 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Screenshot_20210708-101249_Chrome.thumb.jpg.fca77fa4675ea7cb3327b5bd791e4b09.jpg

 

:lol:

 

Sounds way sexier when it's written down. 

I also loved the bit when he said everyone could call in sick tomorrow :lol: 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...