Malmö Quays Tower - please help stop this fucking monstrosity

Monkeys Fist

So, basically I’m asking everyone that can be arsed to submit an objection to the planning committee for the proposed 18 storey tower to be built right in front of the Free Trade and Tyne bar. 

The closing date for objecting is 17th Feb, two days away, so get your skates on. 

More about it here. 
https://www.ouseburntrust.org.uk/igloo-dev?fbclid=IwAR06uAhXywuO7KHBFC_ufvL4aTVsvssc6WjLc8N6xL_y2DbYfVBLcW6N3lY

This wouldn’t just be a disaster for the two bars mentioned above, it’d fuck up the entire Ouseburn and quayside area. 

Please fire off a quick email stating your objection here

If you scroll down to the bottom of that link, you can read submitted objections - they mention inadequate parking, inappropriate scale of the building compared to surroundings, adverse effects on congestion, adverse effects to existing businesses. 
The Tyne Bar have commissioned a report, have a look at their Facebook page. 

Objections close on the 17th- after that it’s tough titty, they’ll build the fucking thing. 

Cheers 👍

• Like 2

The link below provides direct links to the planning portal, direct email addresses, and gives guidelines on how to most effectively structure your comments. 

https://mailchi.mp/8bb9b0a23032/something-festive-this-way-comes-11313622?fbclid=IwAR2NmKgs6RmkRWZje29mzXyFEi2Y0hT3mhgKxEExkNCXZbkEFvauzU-NRmM

• Like 1

How are Newcastle council for allowing unwanted development?

In Manchester the larger developers seem to have no issue pushing through ugly builds that aren’t thought through, we are trying to rebuild a social use building (think woman’s refuge) that is falling down, free of charge for the council and add a few flats on top to make it viable for us and still struggling to get it approved. Who planning process is a fuck on.

It wants Newcastle postcodes only but I'll either use my parents' one or just get them to do it, though I imagine they're already on it as the Lib Dem councillor for Ouseburn is a vocal critic of the project - not sure where his two Labour counterparts for Ouseburn stand on it, although the Labour ex-councillor quoted here is broadly against it so hopefully that means there might be a bit of resistance on the council generally. Not that I have any idea how that kind of pressure realistically affects the planning decision process though. Probably not much. :dunno:  

• Like 1

You still do rope access stuff Fist?   Did they knock you back?  

Jokes aside, it’s astonishing such minging things reach this stage.  Almost as if they are preparing you for something slightly less minging to be perceived as a win.  

• Like 1

TBH the architecture on a couple of the elevations I don't mind.  Would be a nice structure to work on.

However, the location and the whole redevelopment are all wrong.  FWIW I know a lad who did some concept structure work on it and he's objected to it too :lol: 

• Like 1

I think Newcastle could do with a lot more high rise buildings (like HAdrian's tower) but this doesn't seem to be a good location and I'm not keen on the design. I'm not convinced any of the reasons for objection are convincing though, for instance I don't think blocking sight lines is a valid objection i THINK? There's a thread on this project on skyscrapercity, general consensus isn't favourable. Have you you looked there MF? 

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/threads/malmo-quay-and-spillers-quay-east-mouth-of-the-ouseburn-newcastle-various-proposed.981938/page-16

• Like 3

6 hours ago, trophyshy said:

You still do rope access stuff Fist?   Did they knock you back?  

Nah- I went on the rigs with it 2018-ish then jacked it in during lockdown- arthritis has fucked my hands, hips, feet, knees etc. ( I haven’t got it in my jaw, yet :lol:). 

1 hour ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Nah- I went on the rigs with it 2018-ish then jacked it in during lockdown- arthritis has fucked my hands, hips, feet, knees etc. ( I haven’t got it in my jaw, yet :lol:). 

Seriously, no SERIOUSLY!! 

You should look into the Keto diet and intermittent fasting as quite a few people / studies suggest it helps reduce arthritis pain. 

• 1 month later...

Excellent. I signed a few different ones, the view from the free trade should be Grade 1 listed tbh. 

We already lost pint hill. Don’t take the view as well.

• Like 1

I fully agree re. the view, but Mick the landlord was very vocal in pointing out that, as an objection, that wouldn’t hold much water. 
( It would also wreck the view from The Tyne, most of Ouseburn, and looking east from the city, but that’s by the by). 
Where I think this battle was won was in the strength of objection to a whole host of the other terrible features of the plan- increased traffic, poor parking, utterly at odds with surrounding architecture et etc. 

I makes me very happy that a social media campaign actually worked here, concentrating the anger of everyone (rightly) outraged over the loss of the view in to a very robust argument against the plans that actually worked. 

( This possibly sounds like I’m having a dig at you Tom, I’m absolutely not, the view should be made untouchable). 

• Like 2