Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

4 hours ago, acrossthepond said:

Because it's a communicable yet preventable disease for which a safe and effective vaccine is readily available. Much like meningitis. There is absolutely no reason, barring allergy, why anyone eligible should not have their meningitis vaccination. You wouldn't twist if I suggested that PL players who couldn't find new clubs because they didn't have meningitis vaccinations ought to stop complaining and go and get their jabs. So why quibble over COVID? 

But I'll go one further and say that it's part of the price of entry. Clubs do not want to invest in players who they might lose to a random, uncontrollable COVID outbreak at a vital point in the season. Therefore, the players in question can either 

a) Cry about it, hence "boo hoo" or

b) Get vaxxed, the numb, overpaid fucking morons. 

And one more thing, the vaccination certificate is the easiest way to enter to some countries. Renan Lodi couldn't play with Brazil in past february because he wasn't vaccunated and Brazil didn't let him to enter his own country. 

Imagine to pay money for a new player and he can't travel with the team in preseason or international match.

• Like 1

Could Paqueta play as a false 9/cover for Wilson if needed? Perhaps if we get him and Diaby in there’s less need to spunk a massive chunk of our budget on a CF

I'd love to have him, but with my sensible head on, the front 3 is where we are lacking atm. Defence and Midfield is as good as it's been for years (although Shelvey needs a long term replacement at some point)

If we are going to blow £50mil on a player I'd rather it was Diaby 

I think its a case of signing players when you have an opportunity to do so.

Unless I've missed an update I've not seen any credible sources saying that Diaby is achievable, his club don't need the cash and he doesn't seem to be all that fussed about leaving.

If Paqueta is signable this summer we should make that happen, we have a place for him.

Based on last season I don't think ASM, Fraser as first choice on the wings with Almiron and Murphy as backups is actually bad. Its obviously not good enough for where we want to end up but we're not ending up there yet anyway. 

• Like 4

The key thing is getting better cover for Wilson for when he eventually picks up an injury but if we do spunk £50m on Bruno’s bestie maybe we can tap the loan market for the forward 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Andrew said:

I think its a case of signing players when you have an opportunity to do so.

Unless I've missed an update I've not seen any credible sources saying that Diaby is achievable, his club don't need the cash and he doesn't seem to be all that fussed about leaving.

If Paqueta is signable this summer we should make that happen, we have a place for him.

Based on last season I don't think ASM, Fraser as first choice on the wings with Almiron and Murphy as backups is actually bad. Its obviously not good enough for where we want to end up but we're not ending up there yet anyway. 

Almiron, Fraser and ASM will look loads better with Bruno and Paqueta feeding them 

Edited by Dr Gloom
  • Like 1

Duvan Zapata, the Columbian centre forward from Atalanta that we were linked to in January, is supposedly available for 15m. Can't see it happening now, assuming we were ever even interested. He's 31 so I can't see us paying that for another striker the wrong side of thirty, and he's unlikely to want to come and play understudy, support to Wilson. I mean unless Howe changes formation, or puts Wilson wide right of a front three, he's more than capable of playing there. The question is what's Zapata's injury record like, how reliant is he on his pace, and how much if any has he lost given his age. They're not the profile of attackers we're presently looking for, but Paqueta and Zapata could actually work in terms of adding the goals we need with a bit of tactical tweaking. 

Edited by Polarboy

34 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

The key thing is getting better cover for Wilson for when he eventually picks up an injury but if we do spunk £50m on Bruno’s bestie maybe we can tap the loan market for the forward 

Or even the forwards are without club like Belotti, Keita Balde, Cavani, Mertens, King, Deyverson, Jordan Larsson

8 minutes ago, Polarboy said:

Duvan Zapata, the Columbian centre forward from Atalanta that we were linked to in January, is supposedly available for 15m. Can't see it happening now, assuming we were ever even interested. He's 31 so I can't see us paying that for another striker the wrong side of thirty, and he's unlikely to want to come and play understudy, support to Wilson. I mean unless Howe changes formation, or puts Wilson wide right of a front three, he's more than capable of playing there. The question is what's Zapata's injury record like, how reliant is he on his pace, and how much if any has he lost given his age. They're not the profile of attackers we're presently looking for, but Paqueta and Zapata could actually work in terms of adding the goals we need with a bit of tactical tweaking. 

Last week I saw a stat that says is the forward in the 5 top leagues with more fails in easy situations to score. 

22 minutes ago, Diego21 said:

Last week I saw a stat that says is the forward in the 5 top leagues with more fails in easy situations to score. 

In fairness his goal involvements are very impressive despite that, so perhaps he's an Andy Cole type, as in gets himself into position to score more times than most other strikers, but also misses a fair few. It tends to even out with strikers like that. 

6 minutes ago, Polarboy said:

In fairness his goal involvements are very impressive despite that, so perhaps he's an Andy Cole type, as in gets himself into position to score more times than most other strikers, but also misses a fair few. It tends to even out with strikers like that. 

He is a very strong player, who is capable of generating chances on his own without anyone's help.

I have never really liked it very much, honestly, although I think it could be a good option for its quality.

Still, I'd like a player with other skills, because Zapata is more like what Wilson and Wood can offer us.

1 hour ago, Kid Dynamite said:

I'd love to have him, but with my sensible head on, the front 3 is where we are lacking atm. Defence and Midfield is as good as it's been for years (although Shelvey needs a long term replacement at some point)

If we are going to blow £50mil on a player I'd rather it was Diaby 

The reaction if get both though. :D 

if he’s available I think we can’t let the opportunity pass. I’m also not convinced that certain hacks bandying about stuff about FFP restrictions know what they’re on about. Also where are the sanctions against clubs like Chelsea and Everton who consistently flaunt the rules? 

• Like 3

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season