Transfers, 2023-24 season

trophyshy

A number of links with Tierney again. Are we excited about this? Can't say I've seen him play a lot. How much of an upgrade on big Dan would he be. I've noted a lot of Arsenal fans are somewhat meh about him.

4 hours ago, aimaad22 said:

A number of links with Tierney again. Are we excited about this? Can't say I've seen him play a lot. How much of an upgrade on big Dan would he be. I've noted a lot of Arsenal fans are somewhat meh about him.

He's a left back and an international player.  He is better than Burn as a left back, but has had injury issues.  Burn can't continue as left back, especially in Europe, so we need someone more accomplished.  Whether he is worth the potential injury risk depends on how much we are quoted.  Knowing Arsenal - squillions, even though he is not their first choice.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Tierney is class, especially going forward but if his body can’t hold up to Arsenal’s style, he’ll be bollocked having to belt up and down the wing for 90 minutes up here

Darren Bent said similar last night. He also said he would be dubious about the links to us especially at the price arsenal would want 

I see the link a bit like McTominay. I.e. buying from a direct rival, mid-20s, premier league-proven, etc. all means the fee would be massively inflated. It just doesn’t seem to fit the transfer policy at all. You could point to Burn and Wood but the former was a bargain who wanted to come home and the latter was a necessity in the circumstances. It’s not a case of turning my nose up at him because he would actually improve the starting XI but you’d imagine Ashworth would be looking at better value abroad. Especially as we seem determined to stay within the FFP regs. 

• Like 3

It definitely seems like Howe is wanting players who are PL-ready, like. Nickson seems to have his eyes abroad but, like Alex says, it doesn’t seem to make much sense going for players for our rivals in this country. I can understand if you’re picking from those below us ala Maddison and they’re making the step up and there’s value but, unless Howe is absolutely adamant that Tierney is the only player for him, then I’d be knocking that on the head

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Alex said:

you’d imagine Ashworth would be looking at better value abroad. 

Ashworth was at the Leicester match the other night. You can't imagine he was taking a look at any of the Liverpool players.

Edit: Just realised you were talking about Tierney rather than Madisson.

Edited by ewerk

5 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Ashworth was at the Leicester match the other night. You can't imagine he was taking a look at any of the Liverpool players.

Edit: Just realised you were talking about Tierney rather than Madisson.

Aye, Maddison makes sense if the club fancy him. Same with Rice. He’d also cost a lot but he’s a top talent and the contract situation with both means they are relative bargains. The other two are fringe players (in the sense they probably wouldn’t start if everyone was available) at rival clubs who’d look to rip us off imo 

15 hours ago, aimaad22 said:

I like Tierney, and I also like Hickey, the other young Scottish Leftback. Either one could be a good purchase.

It scares me though that Tierney won't be able to stay healthy. He has had too many ankle, knee and hip injuries in his short career.

Edited by Diego21
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Saw something this morning about Xhaka is off to Bayer Leverkusen, no new contract offer from Arsenal. I think that cooks our goose with Rice, assuming Arsenal can afford him….

Aye. I think that Rice is an outside possibility for us as I think Man Utd, Arsenal and potentially even Man City will be after him. 

14 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Saw something this morning about Xhaka is off to Bayer Leverkusen, no new contract offer from Arsenal. I think that cooks our goose with Rice, assuming Arsenal can afford him….

I wouldn't be surprised if they go after Caicedo again. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I wouldn't be surprised if they go after Caicedo again. 

Yeah of course they went in strong for him in January. So we’ll see… if LFC can’t afford Bellingham that might just leave Man Utd… 🤔

4 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Yeah of course they went in strong for him in January. So we’ll see… if LFC can’t afford Bellingham that might just leave Man Utd… 🤔

The only way I can see Rice coming here is dependent on 6 things;

Man Utd empty their chest for Kane

Man City get Bellingham

Arsenal go for Caicedo

Liverpool can't afford Rice

We get CL

Rice wants to come

3 minutes ago, The Fish said:

The only way I can see Rice coming here is dependent on 6 things;

Man Utd empty their chest for Kane

Man City get Bellingham

Arsenal go for Caicedo

Liverpool can't afford Rice

We get CL

Rice wants to come

Bellingham has signed for Real Madrid hasn’t he or was that all bollocks? 

Rice is a Chelsea fan I think and definitely best friends with Mason Mount. They will spend again if they can get rid of some players and wages could see him going there.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, strawb said:

Bellingham has signed for Real Madrid hasn’t he or was that all bollocks? 

Rice is a Chelsea fan I think and definitely best friends with Mason Mount. They will spend again if they can get rid of some players and wages could see him going there.

Pretty big if, isn't it?

They've got a huge squad, on big wages, and not much FFP wriggle room, right? Everyone knows they need to sell, so nobody's going to pay the going rate for their saleable assets, and nobody's going to pick up 100% of the wages for anybody going out on loan.

• Meenzer changed the title to Transfers, 2023-24 season