Bruno Guimarães

wykikitoon

:lol: He’s a character like. What a player he looks btw, I think when we have players in front of him with real quality his passes will be devastating. I think he’s pass completion was in the 90’s or high 80’s against Everton and he’s always looking to make a forward pass, so it’s not like that rate comes from 100’s of 3 yard backwards passes (like Leon Brittain). 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Does Bruno start our next game if Shelvey, Joelinton and Willock are all fit? I’m not sure he does 

He’s been basically the best player on the pitch in both games imo, I think not playing him because we lost those two and we won games with the other three is attributing the issue to him. If Wood could have finished his chances, or if the Begovic hadn’t pulled off two good saves for the two shots from Bruno we’d have won that game imo (look at how Evertons heads dropped v Palace and we were far more dominant when those chances were saved). 

Edited by Howay

who misses out if he does start though? it's a genuine head scratcher/good problem to have and insert other cliche here. 

most of those wins came with the other three. bruno is undoubtedly the future, but do you revert to the three who worked best together this season just to get the points we need to see us over the line?

I think we tried to be a bit more progressive v Everton. We’ve previously looked to sit and hit teams on the counterattack. I think that was because we could with the pressure off to a large extent and because Bruno was playing. But I think it worked against us in that particular fixture as the players were still adjusting to that style of play. I think the problem going forward will be playing Shelvey and Bruno in the same team. They’re not the same type of player but they take up similar positions on the pitch. 

• Like 2

i think if you look at the three in midfield, assumign we continue with the three, the balance is spot on with the three joes. but if you look at technical ability, bruno should be starting. do you sacrifice willock's forward runs and goal threat? i dunno if you do. and is there room for him and shelvey in the same side? debatable. unless we try a new system, with the double pivot (can't believe i actually just used that expression - kill me now)

8 minutes ago, Howay said:

He’s been basically the best player on the pitch in both games imo, I think not playing him because we lost those two and we won games with the other three is attributing the issue to him. If Wood could have finished his chances, or if the Begovic hadn’t pulled off two good saves for the two shots from Bruno we’d have won that game imo (look at how Evertons heads dropped v Palace and we were far more dominant when those chances were saved). 

he would look even better if he had someone like wilson up front instead of wood. he's got the sort of vision and passing ability a striker who can get in behind would feed off

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

who misses out if he does start though? it's a genuine head scratcher/good problem to have and insert other cliche here. 

most of those wins came with the other three. bruno is undoubtedly the future, but do you revert to the three who worked best together this season just to get the points we need to see us over the line?

Again though saying that implies he was the issue. If we’d have swapped him for Shelvey or Willock in other games we’ve no idea if the result would have been the same, better, or worse. The Chelsea game he was alongside Sean Longstaff ffs and we still were great, use the Everton game as an example, we did enough to win that game, more than other games we’ve won in recent times and Bruno was the best player on the pitch. We had 3 good goal scoring chances, so I just think it’s harsh on Bruno by saying the balance is better because we won games he didn’t feature in - we had 62% possession away from home against Everton, we did so in a game that we lacked Murphy (who has been miles better than Almiron). We also beat Southampton away with him starting. 

I think him and Joelinton have to start, the other two we pick depending on the fixture. 

Edited by Howay
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

i didn't even consider the possibility of dropping joelinton btw 

We can’t drop him for sure, put him alongside Bruno for the Chelsea game instead of Longstaff and our chances of getting something from that increase massively. 

Not blaming Bruno for anything, just saying that our most convincing performances this season, I think, came in the unbeaten run where we had the three Joes in there. I was desperate to see Bruno start sooner than he did but those three elevated their games so much he had to wait for his chance. I’m still not sure what our strongest midfield is - not sure anyone is - but it’s lush to be having this conversation. 

Just now, Dr Gloom said:

so who do you drop - willock? 

That's who i'd edge towards putting on the bench, yep. Although a significant difference (OK, huge chasm) between the coaching styles of Bruce & Howe is that Bruce would send out who he thought was the strongest XI players he had available - Howe, I believe will send out the XI he thinks offers the best opportunity for a win against the opposition in front of us.

• Like 2

Just now, Dr Gloom said:

so who do you drop - willock? 

Depends on the opposition really. 

For me, Bruno starts. He's the best player of the 5 by a mile. 

If we're looking to play more counter attack against a high line (top tier sides) we play him and Shelvey with Joelinton just ahead of them. Big Joe's energy, physicality and tactical flexibility is a good screen for those two to play behind. 

Playing more controlled game against an entrenched, organised defence (Burnley, et al) we drop Shelvey and play Joe and Joe ahead of Bruno. Lots of movement, lots of pressing high up and Willock's runs into the box will be useful.

Playing a game against a more passive, open defence (Norwich, Watford), drop Joelinton, play Bruno and Jonjo with Willock playing closer to Wood as part of a four man attacking unit. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Craig said:

That's who i'd edge towards putting on the bench, yep. Although a significant difference (OK, huge chasm) between the coaching styles of Bruce & Howe is that Bruce would send out who he thought was the strongest XI players he had available - Howe, I believe will send out the XI he thinks offers the best opportunity for a win against the opposition in front of us.

i’d probably drop willock out of the three too  - if we had Wilson fit and firing up front. But I’m not sure you remove his goal threat so you’re relying on Wood for goals. 

Just now, Dr Gloom said:

i’d probably drop willock out of the three too  - if we had Wilson fit and firing up front. But I’m not sure you remove his goal threat so you’re relying on Wood for goals. 

Wilson coming back is going to be an interesting one. I'm hoping the rejuvenated midfield and especially Bruno are going to be putting balls on a plate for Wilson to finish. It's where does Wood fit into it and whether he being part of the team whilst not scoring the goals, his work rate has significantly influence our upturn. Highly unlikely we'll see them playing together IMO so do we expect a front 3 of ASM, Wilson & Fraser? 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Not blaming Bruno for anything, just saying that our most convincing performances this season, I think, came in the unbeaten run where we had the three Joes in there. I was desperate to see Bruno start sooner than he did but those three elevated their games so much he had to wait for his chance. I’m still not sure what our strongest midfield is - not sure anyone is - but it’s lush to be having this conversation. 

Not meaning you were btw but it’s just the argument for keeping those as the three is really implying he’s partially an issue, since he’s clearly our best CM the only reason to keep him out would be that he’s not fitting in. 

I think it’s just putting too much weight on how good they were, only 2 of those wins (Brighton and Brentford) came without Trippier, which is worth noting as well. I just personally don’t see the evidence that the combination of Willock, Shelvey, and Joe is better, I understood keeping him out for that run but he’s more than earned his place now. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Fish, you have just been given a lesson in CONCISION. I suggest you revise.

What with Ken sniffing around desparate to say I know nowt about football?

Afraid not, brevity had it's day, now we drone on and on. It'll end the war quickly and save millions of lives.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Craig said:

Wilson coming back is going to be an interesting one. I'm hoping the rejuvenated midfield and especially Bruno are going to be putting balls on a plate for Wilson to finish. It's where does Wood fit into it and whether he being part of the team whilst not scoring the goals, his work rate has significantly influence our upturn. Highly unlikely we'll see them playing together IMO so do we expect a front 3 of ASM, Wilson & Fraser? 

Yeah, could be a midfield three of Bruno, Shelvey and Joelinton with ASM, Wilson and Fraser ahead of them when everyone’s fit. I’d like to see how Wood and Wilson play as a two up front but not sure we would set up that way from the start - maybe Wood off the bench if we’re chasing the game.

Edited by Dr Gloom

14 minutes ago, Craig said:

I'd expect once Wilson is match fit, Wood will be consigned to the bench, or when we need a wrecking ball option up front.

• Like 2