The Return of Eddie Howe's Shithousing, High Pressing Fucking NETBUSTERS vs Lopetegui's Lupine Logmunchers

Gemmill

So the Pope incident, looked like he made contact and was a penalty for me, purely because it was in the box. I don't get why it would be a red card for Pope though? I don't think Jiminez had the ball under control or would have scored. But the commentator (not sure who) was saying not only should it have been a red, he should have got a 4 match ban!? How does that work? 

• Like 1

2 red cards in a season = 4 match ban. 

I don't think Salah necessarily had control of the ball either so I'm not sure that's as much a requirement as everyone thinks. 

Edited by NJS
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Renton said:

So the Pope incident, looked like he made contact and was a penalty for me, purely because it was in the box. I don't get why it would be a red card for Pope though? I don't think Jiminez had the ball under control or would have scored. But the commentator (not sure who) was saying not only should it have been a red, he should have got a 4 match ban!? How does that work? 

They were arguing it was a goalscoring opportunity. For me it wasn't. It was a heavy first touch and then again I think he jumped into Pope on purpose to initiate the contact. But if it was a pen no way is it a pure goal scoring opportunity 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NJS said:

Seems to have an ankle incident every game since that scare - I reckon it's either not 100% right or he's thinking about it too much. 

I do wonder if he's playing with injections as occasionally he seems to limp about after hard running which isn't something he was doing prior. wouldn't be surprised if he was seeing how far he could go with it given we only win when he's on the pitch 

2 hours ago, Renton said:

It can’t be a pen and a red card anymore anyway, unless it’s violent play iirc. It would have been a pen and a yellow, for me it would have been a soft pen as Jiminez clearly dived the only contact was on his trailing leg that he dragged to try and make contact with pope (the Harry Kane classic), he’d also just booted the ball right out of play to ensure Pope couldn’t get it while he looked to dive - he wasn’t getting to that ball even if he hadn’t went down. I was surprised it wasn’t given mind as it’s exactly the sort of soft pen usually given nowadays, obviously pleased it wasn’t given and I’m loving the comments from the media crew. 

Regardless we had a stone wall pen away to them, plus for me it was a red card offense for the last man dragging Murphy down - no chance the other defenders were catching Murphy. We also had a fairly clear hand ball claim in their area ignored. 

Edited by Howay
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Howay said:

The ones complaining will be the first to whinge when they see that Targett isn’t very good even if he did get the chance. 

Very good win that, important too. Thought we really deserved it, Trippier needs to switch his head back on, Pope as well as the two of them have been making odd decisions recently. That was one of Willocks best games for us, Murphy had a good game, ASM too so I’d keep the same front three that started. I think Miggy is really good coming on in that situation as he struggles against sides that sit deep so once we went a goal up he become a good option - really good movement by him for the goal. 

To be fair Burn did get shown up at LB in the last coupe of games, albeit against high quality opposition. I think most people here recognize he's a CB who's done a great job for us at LB. He's never going to be a consistent CL quality LB. I think its okay to recognize that whilst acknowledging the job he's done for us on the whole, was very good today. I don't pay much attention to the idiots on Twitter.

Some of Trippier's deliveries were fantastic today. But agree him and Pope need to get their act together defensively. Bruno also needs to calm down and remember he's actually a good footballer, not  just an energizer bunny that goes around making silly fouls. 

Excellent result and some good performances overall. Willock and Isak in particular. ASM linked up pretty well with Isak on the left as well. Just wish he would shoot once in a while. 

Can't wait to see what a fully fit Isak with a few months of Howe's coaching is capable of, especially if we sign a decent midfielder or two in the summer to supply him. Onwards and upwards :nufc: 

• Like 3

Watched the club's 10 minute extended highlight package this morning and I don't recall seeing the Pope incident, so I think we can all agree that it didn't happen and just move on. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

12 hours ago, Renton said:

He would never had gotten a 4 match ban as that would only apply for a secondary red that was awarded for violent conduct (such as that committed by Casemiro). If the ref gave Pope a red here I think it's still just a one match suspension even though it would be his second of the season, but I'd say the FA would have full discretion to increase the suspension just like they can for violent conduct.

If the ref gave a penalty for that there's no way it would have been a red card as well. Upon rewatching it I do think it could easily have been given as a penalty and we'd have no defense as Pope moved into the path of their player deliberately rather that moving towards the ball. We got lucky because Raul made a bit of a meal of it and isn't a poster boy.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, OTF said:

He would never had gotten a 4 match ban as that would only apply for a secondary red that was awarded for violent conduct (such as that committed by Casemiro). If the ref gave Pope a red here I think it's still just a one match suspension even though it would be his second of the season, but I'd say the FA would have full discretion to increase the suspension just like they can for violent conduct.

If the ref gave a penalty for that there's no way it would have been a red card as well. Upon rewatching it I do think it could easily have been given as a penalty and we'd have no defense as Pope moved into the path of their player deliberately rather that moving towards the ball. We got lucky because Raul made a bit of a meal of it and isn't a poster boy.

Yeah, that's about it. Another thing the commentator said in the second half after a possible penalty incident in our box (a push I think, honestly my memory for this type of thing is poor) is that the ref can't give us a penalty after the first half "mistake"! Whilst this is undoubtedly true, because that's how human psychology works, it's just fucking wrong, surely every incident needs to be considered on its own merits. But overall I think the shit decisions evened out and the result was fair.

Going gforward I can't say that performance fills me with hope for a top 4 finish. When we were good we were very good, but we struggled for a fair bit of the second half and we're still finding it difficult to convert our chances. Forest away is a banana skin (they're good at home) and then the test will be ManU at home. Get 4 points out of these two games and we're back on, fail and I am losing hope for the CL, but Europe may still be possible. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Renton said:

Yeah, that's about it. Another thing the commentator said in the second half after a possible penalty incident in our box (a push I think, honestly my memory for this type of thing is poor) is that the ref can't give us a penalty after the first half "mistake"! Whilst this is undoubtedly true, because that's how human psychology works, it's just fucking wrong, surely every incident needs to be considered on its own merits. But overall I think the shit decisions evened out and the result was fair.

Going gforward I can't say that performance fills me with hope for a top 4 finish. When we were good we were very good, but we struggled for a fair bit of the second half and we're still finding it difficult to convert our chances. Forest away is a banana skin (they're good at home) and then the test will be ManU at home. Get 4 points out of these two games and we're back on, fail and I am losing hope for the CL, but Europe may still be possible. 

champions league may be beyond us but it's in our hands. 

it's hard to imagine that we will fall out of the european places. we're up there on merit and have been all season. hopefully yesterday was the turning point and we can forget about the blip, for which i mainly blame the distraction of the cup final, bruno's suspension, the lack of squad depth and wilson's massive drop off in form.

yesterday was the first game we've played for a while where we played like we did before the world cup break. isak was instrumental - he led the press superbly and ran the channels (like wilson used to) allowing us to play on the front foot. 

if isak stays fit and starts every game for the rest of the season, and bruno, botman and tripper stay fit/avoid suspensions, i still think we can make top 4. 

Edited by Dr Gloom
  • Like 1

If you watch the incident closely the Wolves player does change his run so as to collide with Pope so he was definitely looking for it. It's one of those where you can understand it being given against us but it was far from a stone wall penalty. I think the push in the box was more of a penalty and we didn't get it.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, ewerk said:

If you watch the incident closely the Wolves player does change his run so as to collide with Pope so he was definitely looking for it. It's one of those where you can understand it being given against us but it was far from a stone wall penalty. I think the push in the box was more of a penalty and we didn't get it.

Absolutely.

7 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

champions league may be beyond us but it's in our hands. 

it's hard to imagine that we will fall out of the european places. we're up there on merit and have been all season. hopefully yesterday was the turning point and we can forget about the blip, for which i mainly blame the distraction of the cup final, bruno's suspension, the lack of squad depth and wilson's massive drop off in form.

yesterday was the first game we've played for a while where we played like we did before the world cup break. isak was instrumental - he led the press superbly and ran the channels (like wilson used to) allowing us to play on the front foot. 

if isak stays fit and starts every game for the rest of the season, and bruno, botman and tripper stay fit/avoid suspensions, i still think we can make top 4. 

Agreed but the bolded bit isn't really resolved, and add to that Bruno's form is a bit suspect. Also we have started conceding goals (not many, but still).  On the positive ASM and Murphy are looking good, and I've liked what I 've so far seen from Gordon. We absolutely deserve to be in contention for the CL place but at the same time I feel we have impostor syndrome after so many years in the wildnerness as well as this really happening because Chelsea, Liverpool, and SPurs have all been unexpectedly shit. Got to fight for every point now but that is one thing we've always done under Howe. :nufc: