Eddie and Mad Dog's Useless, Got Caught Doubling Down, Always Bet On Black (And White) Punts v The Woy With Schlupp Is Slender, Did Pardew Say Maybe, Or Eze Not Sure. He'll Be A Woy For The Eagles

sammynb

I’m going to stick up for Miggy too. His transformation under Howe has been remarkable. There’s a reason he keeps picking him - it’s work rate, defensively and in attack - he’s pivotal to how we press and often leads the press alongside the CF.

The passing sequences between tripper, Bruno and Miggy provided some of our most dangerous forward play last season. And trippier said in a recent interview he’s the player he most enjoys playing with because of the understanding they have on the pitch. 

But he wouldn’t be getting picked on work rate alone anymore. His goal contributions last season were what you would expect from an elite wide player and he already has a couple of goals this season. 

His obvious weakness is lack of a right foot. It’s something I’d like to see him improve. He would take his game to the next level if he could go on the outside as well as the inside.

All that being said, I couldn’t be happier for Jacob Murphy. He will be genuinely unlucky not to start in a champions league game after his performance against Palace. The bloke hasn’t put a foot wrong since Howe came in and arguably could have started even more games. 

Right wing is one of those positions we all thought we needed to upgrade in the summer  but maybe one of the reasons we’re doing so well must be because we have kept this group of hungry players from the Ashley era.

They’re a proper unit, nobody is bigger than the team, no one throws their toys out of the pram if they’re rotated. They’ve mostly played for a shit Newcastle side and they’re loving every minute of this opportunity, which has come for many of them towards the end of their careers. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Trippier isn't gonna rip someone a new one for being limited and incredibly one-footed, which Almiron clearly is.

That isn't what the discussion is, yes Miggy is clearly one footed and that limits his ability to whip in crosses from the right side, no one is arguing that.

Add worth not merely words please Scotty.

• Haha 2

You asked why Trippier isn't going mental at him every game, if he is shite.

And I explained that Trippier isn't going to "bag on someone" (yes that's right, I speak Neighbours too) for playing to their own level. Which is what Miggy does.

There's no lack of effort for Trippier to dig him out on, so why would he have a go at him.

DON'T ASK A QUESTION IF YOU DON'T WANT IT ANSWERED, PUGWALL

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

it would be harsh to drop him after he out in a motm peformance but murphy won't care. he's living his best life 

I reckon we should drop the "dropped" word, Eddie's doesn't "drop" players, he rotates the squad and I totally believe the players all buy into that, to the point that not starting is not taken as an affront or a harsh/negative thing.

Can't recall the last time someone had a stinker enough to be "dropped" in the classical sense. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

I reckon we should drop the "dropped" word, Eddie's doesn't "drop" players, he rotates the squad and I totally believe the players all buy into that, to the point that not starting is not taken as an affront or a harsh/negative thing.

Can't recall the last time someone had a stinker enough to be "dropped" in the classical sense. 

It's only "dropped" if it pisses the player off when it happens. Murphy is just happy to be a part of it all. His attitude is too good to be "dropped". He probably just smiles and appreciates the rest tbh 

12 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

You asked why Trippier isn't going mental at him every game, if he is shite.

And I explained that Trippier isn't going to "bag on someone" (yes that's right, I speak Neighbours too) for playing to their own level. Which is what Miggy does.

There's no lack of effort for Trippier to dig him out on, so why would he have a go at him.

DON'T ASK A QUESTION IF YOU DON'T WANT IT ANSWERED, PUGWALL

It’s Home and Away that’s on the same floor that I work on you flamin’ galah not Neighbours, although I am mates with one of the Prime execs on it, if that helps?

Btw the question was rhetorical cunt hooks!

2 minutes ago, sammynb said:

It’s Home and Away that’s on the same floor that I work on you flamin’ galah not Neighbours, although I am mates with one of the Prime execs on it, if that helps?

Btw the question was rhetorical cunt hooks!

Animated GIF

This is supposed to be me accusing you of name dropping, turns out it's much better than that.

Also "bag on someone" is not Australian vernacular. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, spongebob toonpants said:

If we had bought Miggy at the start of last season he wouldn't get half the criticism he does now

I disagree. We bought Tonali a few months back and plenty of people have slagged him off and said he's been shite (which is bollocks).

8 hours ago, sammynb said:

That's the good thing about the internet and opinions, it doesn't matter how wrong your's is, you still get a chance to put it out there. 

😉 

I’d say that’s more applicable to your opinion in this area tbh, grabbed some of his stats and it aligns with what I’m seeing from him in games. Outside of scoring he’s not offering much, basically creates nothing for team mates, doesn’t beat his man or pass in a productive way, despite all of his running he doesn’t tackle much or turnover the ball in places that lead to chances. 

IMG_5191.jpeg

IMG_5190.jpeg

IMG_5189.jpeg

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, spongebob toonpants said:

If we had bought Miggy at the start of last season he wouldn't get half the criticism he does now

Nah his goals have just papered over the weaknesses in his game. If he hadn’t went on that purple patch of goal scoring first half of last season he’d not get the backing he does. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Howay said:

Nah his goals have just papered over the weaknesses in his game. If he hadn’t went on that purple patch of goal scoring first half of last season he’d not get the backing he does. 

Every player has weaknesses in their game though, but Miggys seem to get highlighted more than most, and mainly by our fans. Even Cristiano Ronaldo isn't perfect, as he has a hearing problem - but only when it comes to hearing consent, or the pleading cries of his victims. Messi is also very short.

• Haha 5

39 minutes ago, Howay said:

I’d say that’s more applicable to your opinion in this area tbh, grabbed some of his stats and it aligns with what I’m seeing from him in games. Outside of scoring he’s not offering much, basically creates nothing for team mates, doesn’t beat his man or pass in a productive way, despite all of his running he doesn’t tackle much or turnover the ball in places that lead to chances. 

IMG_5191.jpeg

IMG_5190.jpeg

IMG_5189.jpeg

that’s a bit misleading. He’s not really a dribbler, is he. His take on numbers compare poorly because he uses raw pace to give and go and get in behind. Murphy’s crossing is noticeably better because he isn’t an inverted right winger 

Miggy’s ball carrying numbers are more impressive. And his passes received. He is always showing for the ball, never hides and is always looking to get involved in the build up play. I’d describe him as a busy player. And as tripper himself says, it must be nice as a RB to have a willing runner such as Miggy in front of you  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

that’s a bit misleading. He’s not really a dribbler, is he. His take on numbers compare poorly because he uses raw pace to give and go and get in behind. Murphy’s crossing is noticeably better because he isn’t an inverted right winger 

I don’t think it’s misleading when my argument has been Murphy is the better option and Almiron offers little outside of his goals (which have dried up over the last year). He’s poor at passing, doesn’t help create anything, doesn’t take players on to relieve pressure, doesn’t recover the ball regularly and rarely in key positions (meaning he isn’t helping the press as you claimed earlier when compared to players like Murphy and Gordon).

I personally think it’s misleading to give him so many plaudits for receiving spectacular passes over the top of players. We absolutely should have improved the right wing in the summer instead of buying another left wing player. 

18 minutes ago, Howay said:

I don’t think it’s misleading when my argument has been Murphy is the better option and Almiron offers little outside of his goals (which have dried up over the last year). He’s poor at passing, doesn’t help create anything, doesn’t take players on to relieve pressure, doesn’t recover the ball regularly and rarely in key positions (meaning he isn’t helping the press as you claimed earlier when compared to players like Murphy and Gordon).

I personally think it’s misleading to give him so many plaudits for receiving spectacular passes over the top of players. We absolutely should have improved the right wing in the summer instead of buying another left wing player. 

I think in time he will be replaced. His limitations are obvious to see. Top class wingers can use both feet. He can’t. However he will still be an important squad player and can do an excellent job against many premier league teams as part of the squad. 

Miggy scored 11 last season and assisted two. Nothing wrong with those numbers. And if you look at the data you shared, there’s nothing wrong with his progressive carry and passes received numbers either - this tells you how he plays. He isn’t skilful enough to dribble past players, but he always makes himself available to receive the ball and is excellent at progressing it up the field. 

To suggest he offers little besides his goals is plainly nonsense. Watch the video interview I posted above with Trippier. He says Miggy is his favourite team mate to play with because of the understanding they have. 

• Like 2

You can't be using blatant fluff pieces as evidence. If I went on Look North to talk about Toontastic, I'd probably end up saying you lot are mostly alright when what I really think is you're just a fucking bunch of unmitigated arseholes.

Thewlis doesn't need to know that and I wouldn't give Jeff Brown the satisfaction.

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

I think in time he will be replaced. His limitations are obvious to see. Top class wingers can use both feet. He can’t. However he will still be an important squad player and can do an excellent job against many premier league teams as part of the squad. 

Miggy scored 11 last season and assisted two. Nothing wrong with those numbers. And if you look at the data you shared, there’s nothing wrong with his progressive carry and passes received numbers either - this tells you how he plays. He isn’t skilful enough to dribble past players, but he always makes himself available to receive the ball and is excellent at progressing it up the field. 

To suggest he offers little besides his goals is plainly nonsense. Watch the video interview I posted above with Trippier. He says Miggy is his favourite team mate to play with because of the understanding they have. 

Sorry like it’s not nonsense, he creates absolutely nothing, he doesn’t win the ball back I’d say they’re two pretty important areas he should be contributing. The stats I showed back up my argument. Aye he scored good numbers in the first half of last season, the second half he became a bit of a passenger and stifled a lot of our attacks because he doesn’t contribute in the build up of play so if he’s not scoring he’s not helping much. 

I’m also not having he receives the ball well as some amazing trait, he’s the beneficiary of brilliant passes and again unless that ends with him scoring he generally squanders it. I also don’t agree that he’s had some big turnaround post-Howe like others, his runs have been picked out by better quality passing but he’s still largely the same player aside from his goals. 

5 minutes ago, Howay said:

Sorry like it’s not nonsense, he creates absolutely nothing, he doesn’t win the ball back I’d say they’re two pretty important areas he should be contributing. The stats I showed back up my argument. Aye he scored good numbers in the first half of last season, the second half he became a bit of a passenger and stifled a lot of our attacks because he doesn’t contribute in the build up of play so if he’s not scoring he’s not helping much. 

I’m also not having he receives the ball well as some amazing trait, he’s the beneficiary of brilliant passes and again unless that ends with him scoring he generally squanders it. I also don’t agree that he’s had some big turnaround post-Howe like others, his runs have been picked out by better quality passing but he’s still largely the same player aside from his goals. 

Aye you've convinced me he's shite. Get Eddie on the blower and let him know the news

Can't let him knack our Champions League chances....oh hold on

Edited by spongebob toonpants
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Howay said:

Nah man, he’s a million times better under Howe than he was under Bruce. He’s been hugely important part of how we execute our press and over the past 12 months and most of our attacking threat has come down our right through how he links up with Bruno and Trippier. 

You’re obviously entitled to your opinion but I tend to agree more with Trippier and Howe. 

I love Murphy and agree he deserves more of a chance but I’d be amazed if Miggy isn’t back in the team for Dortmund 

Edited by Dr Gloom
  • Like 1