Conscription - Would you do it?

wykikitoon

11 minutes ago, Blastronaut said:

Btw the guy on the right looks so much like half of the guys from the village I grew up in that I think I could take an educated guess at his surname.

:lol:  Go on then, this is going to be interesting 

NB: it’s not Withe, Monkeys Fist is just upholding  a fine TT tradition in never forgetting absolutely fuckin anything, ever :glare: 

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

NB: it’s not Withe, Monkeys Fist is just upholding  a fine TT tradition in never forgetting absolutely fuckin anything, ever :glare: 

I’ll dive in here, there’s a quite reasonable chance that I’ve been banging one of your relations for nearly 30 years- Mrs. F’s maiden name is the exact same as your surname, and her Dad’s family originated from the Border ghettos near Kelso. 

She’s been wondering why I’ve been referring to her as “2nd niece” during the old Rumpole of the Bailey recently, but I like to keep a bit mystery going. 
:lol:

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

I’ll dive in here, there’s a quite reasonable chance that I’ve been banging one of your relations for nearly 30 years- Mrs. F’s maiden name is the exact same as your surname, and her Dad’s family originated from the Border ghettos near Kelso. 

She’s been wondering why I’ve been referring to her as “2nd niece” during the old Rumpole of the Bailey recently, but I like to keep a bit mystery going. 

One T or two? :lol: 

12 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Also, don’t listen to him @Blastronaut, it fucking is! 
FS5Ri3kX0AgxmNt.jpg:large

These are the same lads at a regimental reunion and that’s Peter on the right, bloke on the left is Tam or Boab or whatever 

21 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

I'm three sheets to the wind but aye alright. If he's from my neck of the woods that guys either a Meldrum or a Marshall. I noticed the name Paterson on another post but I'm not having that. Might be a Paterson by name but the Paterson gene is recessive.

10 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

One T or two? :lol: 

Two t's, prick. But we all grew from the same stump. And it's "son of the man who had good patter". See what I mean about the gene being recessive?

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Has she done her tree?..

I did a bit of it for her when I was doing mine. 
Her paternal grandad was registered at Kelso ( I think, might’ve been Jedburgh), but I couldn’t get much further back with the paternal line of hers- her Dad was a massive gambler and left them when she was fairly young, so I couldn’t get any more info. 

2 minutes ago, Blastronaut said:

I'm three sheets to the wind but aye alright. If he's from my neck of the woods that guys either a Meldrum or a Marshall. I noticed the name Paterson on another post but I'm not having that. Might be a Paterson by name but the Paterson gene is recessive.

Two t's, prick. But we all grew from the same stump. And it's "son of the man who had good patter". See what I mean about the gene being recessive?

Twa Ts is English likesay 😆

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Blastronaut said:

And it's "son of the man who had good patter". See what I mean about the gene being recessive?

Aye, for the common as muck Pattersons, whereas the more refined and classy Patersons are “ sons of the men who had good Paters”. 
Top Dad Lads. 

Mrs. is very touchy about the difference between the One T and Two T mobs :lol:

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Twa Ts is English likesay 😆

8 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Aye, for the common as muck Pattersons, whereas the more refined and classy Patersons are “ sons of the men who had good Paters”. 
Top Dad Lads. 

Mrs. is very touchy about the difference between the One T and Two T mobs :lol:

I'm convince the second T only came about in protest to the English refusing to pronounce the first one. 

• Haha 3

31 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

I did a bit of it for her when I was doing mine. 
Her paternal grandad was registered at Kelso ( I think, might’ve been Jedburgh), but I couldn’t get much further back with the paternal line of hers- her Dad was a massive gambler and left them when she was fairly young, so I couldn’t get any more info. 

There’s a chance but it’s unlikely.  G grandfather was an itinerant gamekeeper and sprogged half a dozen all over the Borders but none in Kelso…if you can see this it’s his family in the 1911 census.On the second page you can see the birthplaces, the bottom 3  ie Maxton and Makerston could’ve conceivably been actually registered in Kelso especially Makerston…

I got the census pic from https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/search-our-records

Youve got to buy credits but it’s not that expensive definitely cheaper than a month on Ancestry so if you’ve got details for the Kelso gadge I’d give it a go. I was astounded to find this census form. gutted I couldn’t show it to dad or his siblings . I also got my G Grandmothers death certificate on there, written only a few months after the census. The Laird unceremoniously kicked the family off the estate (Makerston) as he wouldn’t have 6 youths and a piss head father on the estate without their mother 😕

Edit: actually both G Grandparents were from Ednam (so was Captain Cook’s father, who Mrs PL is descended from :blink: ) which is only about a mile from Kelso…

IMG_3657.jpeg

Edited by PaddockLad
  • Like 1

@PaddockLad, going back to the original pic of your old man, I’ve been hunting for a certain pic of my old boy in a regimental kilt and Tam O’Shanter taken when he was in Kingston, Jamaica, but I think it’s at Grandma Fist’s. 

It’s a puzzler because he was originally in the Durham Light Infantry but then, as I mentioned, got “volunteered” to go to 

the Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry who were stationed in Kingston- neither should be wearing sweaty skirts? :lol:

I spent a lot of time with the old man in the last months of his life, and he really opened up about his time over there.
He’d always been a dapper bugger, and a few weeks after arriving at the Kingston barracks he was told to report to the head honcho- naturally, he was shitting it, but it turned out that his Sergeant had given him excellent reports in his kit inspections and the Big Cheese offered him the role of his personal batman and driver.
He took it without realising what a cushy number it was initially, but he basically got paid to be an informal butler with loads of perks and time off. :lol:

Like I said, I learned all this just sitting chatting with him in his last months, but  towards the end when the cancers started hitting his brain, one of the early effects was that he lost ALL filters, having previously been an absolute gent. 

One of the funniest things was him ringing up his first proper girlfriend, who was now in her eighties, and asking her if he’d been a better shag than her husband, who she’d met after my dad went to the Caribbean. 
I grabbed the phone off him to apologise to the old dear, but she was laughing her spaniels off because it apparently wasn’t the first call he’d made to her that week. :lol:

Also, it seems Pa Fist was a bit of a shagger ( yes, I know, what a shock ).  When I mentioned that he found a love for Caribbean spice, it wasn’t just the food- it seems that, barring a miscarriage, I have a Jamaican half sibling. :lol:

This fucking killed me tbh, because as I said, his “polite” filters were gone, and he said that the lass, a local, was the one who cut off contact after telling him she was pregnant. He was posted to Belize a few weeks after then sailed back home from there.
He said it was his only regret in his life and he was glad to tell finally someone. 

So, if they made it, my Jamaican sibling would be approaching their 70th birthday or thereabouts- I’d love to find them, but am I fuck sending my DNA to some company to do it. 

Aaaanyway, I’ll hoy the kilt pic up if I can find it at Ma Fists. :lol:

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

There’s a chance but it’s unlikely.  G grandfather was an itinerant gamekeeper and sprogged half a dozen all over the Borders but none in Kelso…if you can see this it’s his family in the 1911 census.On the second page you can see the birthplaces, the bottom 3  ie Maxton and Makerston could’ve conceivably been actually registered in Kelso especially Makerston…

I got the census pic from https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/search-our-records

Youve got to buy credits but it’s not that expensive definitely cheaper than a month on Ancestry so if you’ve got details for the Kelso gadge I’d give it a go. I was astounded to find this census form. gutted I couldn’t show it to dad or his siblings . I also got my G Grandmothers death certificate on there, written only a few months after the census. The Laird unceremoniously kicked the family off the estate (Makerston) as he wouldn’t have 6 youths and a piss head father on the estate without their mother 😕

Edit: actually both G Grandparents were from Ednam (so was Captain Cook’s father, who Mrs PL is descended from :blink: ) which is only about a mile from Kelso…

IMG_3657.jpeg

My lass’s grandad and your grandad have the same surname and lived within a 20 mile radius of each other. 

It’s the Borders- you have sheep and/or you have cousins. 

I’m definitely banging your relative :lol:

• Haha 3

Fuckin hell man your old man was a fuckin  card :lol:  My old man didn’t go to the extent of phoning old flames up but he didnt have to really…he let it slip once that the old lady across the road who was then a Kirk Elder had been rifled not only by him but my uncle Bob too :lol: he chatted to her most mornings :D 

• Haha 3

24 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

It was invasion day here yesterday, so probably best next time you and the future ex-wife are in town, you don't point that out to people!

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, sammynb said:

It was invasion day here yesterday, so probably best next time you and the future ex-wife are in town, you don't point that out to people!

Too late…we spent most of 2016 doing just what you suggest not to :D 

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Fuckin hell man your old man was a fuckin  card :lol:  My old man didn’t go to the extent of phoning old flames up but he didnt have to really…he let it slip once that the old lady across the road who was then a Kirk Elder had been rifled not only by him but my uncle Bob too :lol: he chatted to her most mornings :D 

This side of him only emerged in the last two weeks or so, it was fucking hilarious tbh because he seemed to be sooo relieved to finally get it off his chest. 

Your old man and his Uncle being Tunnel Buddies with a pious Church wife is the most normal Borders thing tbh :lol:

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Too late…we spent most of 2016 doing just what you suggest not to :D 

You'd be fine still in rural/regional, white-hood wearing 'stralia, so about 15% of the population but it's amazing how much has changed since then with regard to the thoughts on our colonial history.

It's totally understandable seeing the first nations people have been so badly treated for 200 odd years but truth is there needs to be a middle ground but there never is with our stupid species.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

This side of him only emerged in the last two weeks or so, it was fucking hilarious tbh because he seemed to be sooo relieved to finally get it off his chest. 

Your old man and his Uncle being Tunnel Buddies with a pious Church wife is the most normal Borders thing tbh :lol:

It absolutely is… my old man was the village oracle, it was said in a public meeting once that something certainly wasn’t public knowledge as my old man hadn’t mentioned it :lol: he knew where all the bodies were buried and he’d left one or two himself :D 

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Top Dad Lads. 

That's fair like. My da's da was a fucking jazz musician so I think the "patter" gene leapfrogged both me and my granda. 

Amusingly, my son is totally non-verbal but absolutely hilarious, and if I'm lucky that's where the family name ends. Wise beyond his years, I've said to Mrs B plenty times that his first words (if he ever speaks) could well be "you pair of cunts talk too much".

• Haha 3

22 hours ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Aaaanyway, I’ll hoy the kilt pic up if I can find it at Ma Fists. :lol:

No luck. 

Found these though. 
IMG_2158.thumb.jpeg.1d1364834c7f2fbe41f9818eca933e7b.jpeg
Belize 1953- Pa Fist on the left  IMG_2157.thumb.jpeg.36b173395532e6887a3a10cc71d74e75.jpeg

Kingston Barracks, Jamaica. 1955. 

No comment :lol:

• Like 1