Conscription - Would you do it?

wykikitoon

Pretty much what the title is.

Would you bear arms?  I replied to someone on Insta who is currently in the armed forces.  I said no I wouldn't fight for those cunts in charge.  His reply was;

Put the government aside, if there was a genuine threat (probably from Russia) and they were (like in WW2) in France threatening to invade us and destroy everything that is British, kill all men and enslave the women and children, would you take up arms?

Because at that point it would be fuck the politicians and any gripe we have with what they have done or haven’t done I think

It did get me thinking.  I've seen some 'We don't fight for the government' stuff on Twatter yesterday.  Flag shaggers mainly.

1 minute ago, wykikitoon said:

Would you bear arms?  I replied to someone on Insta who is currently in the armed forces.  I said no I wouldn't fight for those cunts in charge.  His reply was;

It did get me thinking.  I've seen some 'We don't fight for the government' stuff on Twatter yesterday.  Flag shaggers mainly.

Luckily too old and too far away to have to make the decision

I don't think I'd be much use on the front line but I'm sure I'd help to man a doomed Les Mis-style barricade if they got to the gates of my neighbourhood.

Realistically though - in addition to actual fighters, I assume they'd be looking to recruit for all types of roles in that scenario, and I suppose being a cunning linguist could be useful to the intelligence services or something? I wouldn't refuse that kind of thing purely because the powers that be are a bunch of cathwords, no - not when the alternative being posited is somewhat worse, to say the least.

But if they wanted me to be cannon fodder I'd definitely be more of a hindrance than a help. :lol: 

• Haha 1

The idea of two nuclear armed countries fighting each other is preposterous. If Russia attacks NATO, all bets are off. I can't envisage any scenario where we need conscription to put boots on the ground. 

• Like 2

In my lifetime the only time this was mooted previously was during the Falklands war. 

Age aside my answer would be the same as it would have been then. Fuck. Right. Off. 

More likely is a civil war. Would I take up arms against the gammons? You bet your soy latte I would.

• Haha 3

55 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

it would never get that far. we wouldn’t wage a conventional war with Russia 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The Fish said:

More likely is a civil war. Would I take up arms against the gammons? You bet your soy latte I would.

Now you're talking.

19 minutes ago, Renton said:

The idea of two nuclear armed countries fighting each other is preposterous. If Russia attacks NATO, all bets are off. I can't envisage any scenario where we need conscription to put boots on the ground. 

Beat me to it 

Me talking about how I'd be on the front line defending our country in a hypothetical situation:

image.png.b4fc53027c7ae9805b0058e37c5980da.png

Me when the government actually attempts to draft me:

image.png.c2e0e4b32dc94aa0a68c955d03fa99db.png

• Haha 16

Howay then, lets have a roll call on the mighty toontastic men ellifgible for conscription, lets say <40 years. Erm....

Dazzler, see above. 

Tom, gout, amongst many, many things. 

Rayvin, :lol: 

Andrew, New Zealand 

We're fucked lads. 

• Haha 4

43 minutes ago, Renton said:

Whats the scenario where NATO or Russia fire a nuclear missile at the other side? 

We’re in a proxy land war with Russia as it stands, if 75% of all human assets end up involved in Ukraine how does the UK fulfill military commitments elsewhere across the globe? 

Edited by PaddockLad

5 minutes ago, Renton said:

Howay then, lets have a roll call on the mighty toontastic men ellifgible for conscription, lets say <40 years. Erm....

Dazzler, see above. 

Tom, gout, amongst many, many things. 

Rayvin, :lol: 

Andrew, New Zealand 

We're fucked lads. 

I’m out. Over 40.

The only thing I'd be doing is to look to header the nuclear missile back in their direction. You want that thing landing directly on your forehead to ensure you don't accidentally survive for a bit. 

• Haha 2

Just now, Holden McGroin said:

I’m out. Over 40.

Yeah, I guessed. So is every other fucker (UK based, anyway). Actually maybe not, get Blastronaut signed up. 

45 minutes ago, Renton said:

It depends what their motive is? If they want to occupy territory (eg UK) we’d need infantry. 

I’d happily be part of Dads Army assisting all those lovely lonely ladies. 

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Whats the scenario where NATO or Russia fire a nuclear missile at the other side? 

We’re in a proxy land war with Russia as it stands, if 75% of all human assets end up involved in Ukraine how does the UK fulfill military commitments elsewhere across the globe? 

Not sure I follow. I think conscription would only occur in a WW1 or 2 situation where our nearest neighbours were under direct attack. Simply would never happen. Not to mention, if anything, we should be relieved at just how shit the Russian military has shown itself to be. They can't even take Ukraine, the useless corrupt bastards. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Holden McGroin said:

It depends what their motive is? If they want to occupy territory (eg UK) we’d need infantry. 

I’d happily be part of Dads Army assisting all those lovely lonely ladies. 

I honestly think we're the first to get nuked so there'd be no lovely ladies left unless they've been GI Jane'd.

In the event of an actual conflict it's probably going to be safer on the front lines than it will be back in old Blighty where the best you can hope for is dying in the initial blast rather than slowly dying due to the radiation.

1 minute ago, Renton said:

Not sure I follow. I think conscription would only occur in a WW1 or 2 situation where our nearest neighbours were under direct attack. Simply would never happen. Not to mention, if anything, we should be relieved at just how shit the Russian military has shown itself to be. They can't even take Ukraine, the useless corrupt bastards. 

Even shitter when you consider half the Ukrainian troops were lads conscripted with no military background and sent to us for a fortnight's worth of training :lol:

• Like 1