Conscription - Would you do it?

wykikitoon

14 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

I have to say, if the KGB are reading this, one of mankinds greatest achievements in my humble opinion was the Sputnik, Igor Belonov's rakers in the '86 Mexico WC and the lass who played Nikita in Elton John's 1985 hit, 'Nikita'. :good:

Well played, Khajmandoswidanjaman. As Belanov is Ukrainian you do obviously acknowledge the territorial rights of Greater Russia.

If not I will have to tell you that Belanov was shite when he played for Gladbach and got arrested for shoplifting, the little bastard.

• Haha 9

25 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

I have to say, if the KGB are reading this, one of mankinds greatest achievements in my humble opinion was the Sputnik, Igor Belonov's rakers in the '86 Mexico WC and the lass who played Nikita in Elton John's 1985 hit, 'Nikita'. :good:

Honourable mentions for Dostoyevsky, Nabokov and Kate Bush’s 1980 single “Babooshka” :good: 

• Haha 3

33 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Given that they don't have enough gear for the current armed forces, I don't know how they'd propose to do this. 

Unless they've got us doing street patrols with a colander on our head and a fly swatter. 

I had a fucking weird encounter with "street patrol" army recuiters about 20 years ago.  I only remember it so well since shortly later I took a shite call center job and the guy training out group was ex army and turned out to be the same guy who had been cruising our council estate with two other squaddies in full kit.

When I worked at Virgin Money, the CEO got this weird obsession with hiring ex army people to senior positions. It was some link to a charity which placed ex forces people back into civilian jobs. 

Anyway, as part of this, they quite regularly had army recruitment people actually at head office, trying to recruit call centre kids to leave the bank and join the army. Weird as fuck! 

• Haha 3

32 minutes ago, Isegrim said:

Well played, Khajmandoswidanjaman. As Belanov is Ukrainian you do obviously acknowledge the territorial rights of Greater Russia.

If not I will have to tell you that Belanov was shite when he played for Gladbach and got arrested for shoplifting, the little bastard.

I forgot, most of the soviet union side played for Dynamo Kiev iirc? 

When I go to Belgium every year for the cycling it just stuns me how many war graveyards there are and that's after 17+ years of going. 

Every year you find new ones just hidden. Some with a dozen in just in a farmers field. No doubt after the farmer dug up remains without knowing they were there. 

I attend the last post every year at Menin Gate and it's so emotional. This year when I go they're refurbing the gate but they're still holding the memorial. They it 365 days year. 

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

In a similar vein, if the KGB are in fact reading this, I most definitely DO NOT have an extensive collection of late soviet military electronics components. Those late 80's/ early 90's era germanium transistors they were producing just before their collapse where they almost completely overcame most of the shortcomings and instabilities of germanium semiconductors some 20-30 years after the western world abondoned them are of absolutely no interest to me and never have been.

• Haha 4

12 minutes ago, Blastronaut said:

In a similar vein, if the KGB are in fact reading this, I most definitely DO NOT have an extensive collection of late soviet military electronics components. Those late 80's/ early 90's era germanium transistors they were producing just before their collapse where they almost completely overcame most of the shortcomings and instabilities of germanium semiconductors some 20-30 years after the western world abondoned them are of absolutely no interest to me and never have been.

back to the future GIF

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Which one is Soapy Soutar and which is Fat Boab? :lol:

My old man on the right and his mate Tam on the left. Must be at the depot in Berwick because they spent two years in the Malayan jungle in rather less clothing… 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

My old man on the right and his mate Tam on the left. Must be at the depot in Berwick because they spent two years in the Malayan jungle in rather less clothing… 

Must’ve been a relief not to have to wear saucepan lids as hats though. 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

back to the future GIF

Hold that thought. I have litres of flux and drawers full of old capacitors. If I can get our old Shitbox Megane up to 88 mph 

1 hour ago, PaddockLad said:

Some conscripts of my acquaintance, some time ago :cuppa:

IMG_3647.jpeg

Weirdly reassuring that they're both clearly left handed.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

two years in the Malayan jungle in rather less clothing… 

I may be changing my mind on this conscription lark

• Haha 6

6 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

National Service, 1950s?

My old man got lucky - he was volunteered to go to another regiment, who were then posted to the Caribbean, where he got tanned, and acquired a taste for Caribbean spice whilst his original regiment went to Suez. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

Honourable mentions for Dostoyevsky, Nabokov and Kate Bush’s 1980 single “Babooshka” :good: 

Forgot 

👍 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Gemmill said:

When I worked at Virgin Money, the CEO got this weird obsession with hiring ex army people to senior positions. It was some link to a charity which placed ex forces people back into civilian jobs. 

Anyway, as part of this, they quite regularly had army recruitment people actually at head office, trying to recruit call centre kids to leave the bank and join the army. Weird as fuck! 

Our gaffer is the same with getting ex-forces lads working on the floor. He’s a billy bullshitter in the extreme though so our theory is that he wants them in so he can lie about being a sniper or bomb defusing expert  in his previous years

35 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Our gaffer is the same with getting ex-forces lads working on the floor. He’s a billy bullshitter in the extreme though so our theory is that he wants them in so he can lie about being a sniper or bomb defusing expert  in his previous years

Surely they’ll suss him out fairly quickly.

10 hours ago, Monkeys Fist said:

National Service, 1950s?

My old man got lucky - he was volunteered to go to another regiment, who were then posted to the Caribbean, where he got tanned, and acquired a taste for Caribbean spice whilst his original regiment went to Suez. 

Crikey that’s a stroke of luck for your old man :lol: 

A mates dad was in Suez, drove and fixed trucks I think. Korea was another cunt of a posting. One of my dad’s mates went and never came back, he was the opposite to your dad, got backlisted and ended up there. Dad was involved in getting his name on to the war memorial in his village 

https://www.thesouthernreporter.co.uk/news/williams-sacrifice-is-recognised-in-special-eckford-ceremony-761256

My grandads cousin is on the same memorial but he lies in a commonwealth graveyard somewhere near Vimy Ridge..they added him at some point but there was no room on the front so he was covered in shite round the back and they only rediscovered it when the cleaned it up for the rededication :lol: 

IMG_3648.jpeg

• Like 5

I dunno why people are complaining about being posted in the Suez. Okay, it's not as nice as Sandy Lane in Barbados, but Sharm el Sheikh still has its charms. 

21 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

Crikey that’s a stroke of luck for your old man :lol: 

A mates dad was in Suez, drove and fixed trucks I think. Korea was another cunt of a posting. One of my dad’s mates went and never came back, he was the opposite to your dad, got backlisted and ended up there. Dad was involved in getting his name on to the war memorial in his village 

https://www.thesouthernreporter.co.uk/news/williams-sacrifice-is-recognised-in-special-eckford-ceremony-761256

My grandads cousin is on the same memorial but he lies in a commonwealth graveyard somewhere near Vimy Ridge..they added him at some point but there was no room on the front so he was covered in shite round the back and they only rediscovered it when the cleaned it up for the rededication :lol: 

IMG_3648.jpeg

Make sure you chisel a PTO on the main side. Problem solved, no need for thanks. 👍

• Haha 3

23 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

Some conscripts of my acquaintance, some time ago :cuppa:

IMG_3647.jpeg

Btw the guy on the right looks so much like half of the guys from the village I grew up in that I think I could take an educated guess at his surname.