Do you feel sorry for Shearer?

Asprilla

Do you feel sorry for Shearer?  

25 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Seeing him walk off at the end of the Chelsea game was a pretty sad sight, but on the other hand, he's earned more in the last month than I have in my entire life....and he's been doing that for 10 years!

On the whole yes, given his all to the club, sacrificing personal glory to do so. Would have been nice to see him have at least one medal to show for it.

On the other hand I do believe that he has become a negative to the club for the last 2 seasons, and he offers almost nothing on the pitch these days so that does lessen my pity.

On the third hand he gets to live the rest of his life as a living legend in his home town, with a big bank balance to live on and the gaurantee that he'll one day get a shot at managing the club. So the lad doesn't have it too bad.

Would love to have seen Shearer lift a trophy in a black and white shirt, although he has broken nearly every goal scoring record there is, I hope he will take comfort in that.

But I must say, had we had a more cutting edge strike force tonight I think we'd have at least got a replay tonight.

He shouldn't even be at NUFC. His contribution to the last 3 games has been abysmal.

There is no room in football for sentiment. When sentiment rears its ugly head then that is the day you go backwards. 2 of the last 3 managers saw the future of NUFC as being without Alan Shearer - only the most complete incompetant to ever manage NUFC in my time of supporting them was prepared to offer him an extension.

NUFC will have little or no chance of improving as ong as the shadow of Shearer looms over the Club.

And I will never feel sorry for a player who has lifted over *£20m in wages in his time at the Club. Perhaps that is where NUFC go wrong!

*conservative estimate!

I feel sorry that he'll never lift a trophy as a player for this club but as has been mentioned previously, he has iconic status, more money than he'll probably ever need and a job for life at the club in whatever capacity he chooses due to his ever-increasing influence behind closed doors. I'm pleased he got Milburn's record but I do believe that was the only reason he decided to play on for this season when he really should have hung his boots up. It would have been nice to see him go out with a bang whereas it's kind of turning into a whimper......

2 of the last 3 managers saw the future of NUFC as being without Alan Shearer - only the most complete incompetant to ever manage NUFC in my time of supporting them was prepared to offer him an extension.

109420[/snapback]

Gullit was wrong to want to get rid of him, look at how SBR rejuvenated him, you can't say Shearer wasn't an asset in SBR's first couple of seasons. However Shearer should've retired two years ago, yes we would've missed him but it would've forced the board to solve the problem of replacing him.

Overall Shearer deserved a trophy more than any other player in recent NUFC history.

The man is, has been and will continue to be a local hero for many of us.

How can you feel sorry for him, he made his choice and came to us knowing for a fact he may never win anything. at other clubs he was more or less garuanteed (sp) a trophy, he made his choice and it wasnt to win trophies but to be true to his roots, which is one of the things that makes him a great man.

Hi scareer has been more than what most of us will ever achieve, his name has gone down in history.

Does he need silverware?

Not really.

:lol:

How can you feel sorry for him, he made his choice and came to us knowing for a fact he may never win anything.  at other clubs he was more or less garuanteed (sp) a trophy, he  made his choice and it wasnt to win trophies but to be true to his roots, which is one of the things that makes him a great man.

109426[/snapback]

Bollocks, when he joined we were challenging for the league and looking like becoming a top team, had we been in our current situation he would not have joined up, he thought he was going to win trophies as did we, that is why he joined us.

How can you feel sorry for him, he made his choice and came to us knowing for a fact he may never win anything.  at other clubs he was more or less garuanteed (sp) a trophy, he  made his choice and it wasnt to win trophies but to be true to his roots, which is one of the things that makes him a great man.

109426[/snapback]

Bollocks, when he joined we were challenging for the league and looking like becoming a top team, had we been in our current situation he would not have joined up, he thought he was going to win trophies as did we, that is why he joined us.

109427[/snapback]

Correct.

So your saying he had no better options ?

he could have went to a proven top team but didnt, owen has just joined us while we were shite, we still are, owen had few options for a world cup place, benefits us, shearer had choices, and he chose to come home, and try to win, rather than joining a team that was always going to.

not bollocks, there were no certanties, and he wasnt going to go and sign for a shite team when he had his career to think of was he, he has also stuck with us through the years and been loyal to the club, through its ups and downs.

So your saying he had no better options ?

he could have went to a proven top team but didnt, owen has just joined us while we were shite, we still are, owen had few options for a world cup place, benefits us, shearer had choices, and he chose to come home, and try to win, rather than joining a team that was always going to.

not bollocks, there were no certanties, and he wasnt going to go and sign for a shite team when he had his career to think of was he, he has also stuck with us through the years and been loyal to the club, through its ups and downs.

109433[/snapback]

After all the platitudes there was no way Shearer could leave Newcastle.

I can get sentimental and feel sorry for him, but at the end of the day, the bloke retires with more money than he can spend, recognised as one of the greatest players of his generation and one of the best English strikers of all time. He'll also go on to earn a fortune as a pundit and then more money still as a manager.

Hard to feel sorry for a bloke like that.

As has been mentioned, his decision to stay on this season was for one reason - the record - and has been to the detriment of the team. On current form he'll struggle to get a game at his testimonial.

With a grrrrrrrreeeaaat (in a N-O way) Chairman and World class players like Ameobi , Bramble and Boumsong who r liabilities at the club for the past few yrs....

IT IS NEWCASTLE UNITED FOOTBALL CLUB I FEEL SORRY FOR

Shearer doesnt need a trophy which is a materialistic entity....Say for a player like Roy keane after having lifted innumerable trophies and been thrown out of the club is a disgrace.

Shearer is a living GOD and doesnt need a 2kg pot to showoff.

I feel more sorry for me actually. As fans, we've all suffered the same disappointments as Shearer for the past 10 years. But we don't leave the ground in a sports car after every game or return to a massive house. And none of us have become multi-millionaires over the past 10 years as a consolation to the lack of trophies.

I feel more sorry for me actually.  As fans, we've all suffered the same disappointments as Shearer for the past 10 years.  But we don't leave the ground in a sports car after every game or return to a massive house.  And none of us have become multi-millionaires over the past 10 years as a consolation to the lack of trophies.

109451[/snapback]

;) totally agreeeeeeeeee ;)

:lol:

Well i feel absolutely gutted for Shearer, the club and us fans ;) Yes these last 2 seasons havent been good for shearer and he not good for us...but for his goals, for his loyality and passion for his home team, he deserved to win something with us. I rekon he'd swap all his goal scoring records for just one poxy trophy- and without a pang of regret.

Yes i am sentimental...i wanted to see him lift a Trophy for us and i dont mind admitting i had tears in my eyes last night as he walked off :lol: I know it was only a very slim chance, but its gone and thats it now.

Whats the betting we go and win something next season? ;):icon_lol:

Edited by Toonraider

Well i feel absolutely gutted for Shearer, the club and us fans  :icon_lol:  Yes these last 2 seasons havent been good for shearer and he not good for us...but for his goals, for his loyality and passion for his home team, he deserved to win something with us. I rekon he'd swap all his goal scoring records for just one poxy trophy- and without a pang of regret.

Yes i am sentimental...i wanted to see him lift a Trophy for us and i dont mind admitting i had tears in my eyes last night as he walked off  :lol: I know it was only a very slim chance, but its gone and thats it now.

Whats the betting we go and win something next season?  :icon_lol:  :icon_lol:

109464[/snapback]

the phrase "lifting trophy" can also be used asin "lifting trophy as a manager"-------------Amen ;)

well now that u said u cried...i did too...I was at the stadium for India-England Test lost there ;) was a bit let down.

If this was not enough...I was awake upto 3:30 am hoping for the best...alas i slept :icon_lol:

Well i feel absolutely gutted for Shearer, the club and us fans  :icon_lol:  Yes these last 2 seasons havent been good for shearer and he not good for us...but for his goals, for his loyality and passion for his home team, he deserved to win something with us. I rekon he'd swap all his goal scoring records for just one poxy trophy- and without a pang of regret.

Yes i am sentimental...i wanted to see him lift a Trophy for us and i dont mind admitting i had tears in my eyes last night as he walked off  :lol: I know it was only a very slim chance, but its gone and thats it now.

Whats the betting we go and win something next season?   :icon_lol:   :icon_lol:

109464[/snapback]

the phrase "lifting trophy" can also be used asin "lifting trophy as a manager"-------------Amen ;)

well now that u said u cried...i did too...I was at the stadium for India-England Test lost there ;) was a bit let down.

If this was not enough...I was awake upto 3:30 am hoping for the best...alas i slept :icon_lol:

109470[/snapback]

well just to make you feel better, not only were we knocked out of the cup, then I worked a 10 hour shift. (whilst im on my hols) Not in the best of moods! :icon_lol:

Edited by Toonraider

It's the fans I feel sorry for, not Shearer - thoosands go here, there and everywhere with little to shout about yet still get behind the lads. These people (the fans) are making sacrifices that make me shudder.

I heard Moncur on Century last night saying how sorry he was for Shearer, 'no service etc etc'. I don't agree. Because Shearer is so slow the attacking play often peters out due to lack of someone in the box to take any decent pass.

Shearer is, and will always be, a legend in my eyes but has been well rewarded for his time here.

All together now, you all know the words;

Fuck all. We're gonna win fuck all....we're gonna win fuck all...

109519[/snapback]

We will win something, sometime. Don't know where but it will happen sometime.

Just hope I'm still around to see it, but I will not give up on NUFC just because we aren't winning things - which seems to be some people's only reason for following the Toon (the hope of winning something, that is).