General Random Conversation..

Scottish Mag

43 minutes ago, ewerk said:

But does she really have cancer? And you have to ask yourself, where is Meghan Markle in all of this?

image.png.d3db46672ee00bc76970d95c903509d6.png

• Haha 2

On 20/03/2024 at 19:36, strawb said:

Our lass has had her colonoscopy and it’s all clear. Thank fuck.

Been in James Cook all week with my brother because his fits were out of control, then drove down last night and spent all day today in the arse inspection unit of the MRI.

Great week.

That's excellent news.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Renton said:

Well, it turns out Princess Kate has been diagnosed with cancer. 

Perhaps the  "kill" notice was ill-advised?

• Haha 1

On 20/03/2024 at 19:36, strawb said:

Our lass has had her colonoscopy and it’s all clear. Thank fuck.

Been in James Cook all week with my brother because his fits were out of control, then drove down last night and spent all day today in the arse inspection unit of the MRI.

Great week.

Somehow missed this. Pleased to hear it was nowt and that you got an answer quickly.

• Like 1

I've posted the photo below before in a discussion about remembrance day. The young man standing and kilted is my great uncle Gordon, he was killed in action in 2015 at the battle of Loos, he has no known grave. We have all his letters up to his death (and letters afterwards from the war office and his comrades). Reading them over the years I feel like I knew Gordon.

Well today I received a letter from the MoD, they think they've found him !!! 100 sets of remains were discovered whilst a hospital extension was being built in Lens next to Loos. What makes them think this one particular set is Gordon is that he was found with some buttons from Newcastle Tramways Corporation (weird eh?), my Great Grandfather (retired Sgt Major seated in photo) was Chief Inspector of Newcastle Tramways when he retired from the army. Too much of a coincidence surely. DNA kit awaited to confirm.

Excited and quite emotional here !!! (The bairn is my grandfather)

image.png.ad4959865efaec508194583c2aab2278.png

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

That's mad that they think they've identified him after all this time. Hope the DNA results come back a match.

Yeah, they say he's the only one in his regiment that could have had any link to the Tramways, must have been given the buttons for good luck, or perhaps, given my great grandad was a career soldier and saw significant action in his time pre WW1, maybe a thought of "if the worst happens these might help identify you" - and here we are.

They found the link through the 1911 census.

When Gordon was killed a young Lieutenants mother wrote to my great grandmother asking if she had any news as her son (also MIA) was reportedly last seen with Gordon, MoD lady I spoke to today said "believe it or not, I was researching Lt's Chapman's next of kin this morning" with regard to remains found close to what we hope is Gordon.

Edited by Toonpack
  • Like 4

Wow! I remember reading several years back that it’s still a fairly regular occurrence for remains to be unearthed by accident on Belgium. By farmers ploughing fields and that sort of thing 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Alex said:

Wow! I remember reading several years back that it’s still a fairly regular occurrence for remains to be unearthed by accident on Belgium. By farmers ploughing fields and that sort of thing 

They’ve been building a new hospital since 2021 work for that is what uncovered them evidently. 

Have no idea how long ago he was found (if it is him) but the location (MoD sent me a map of the discovery) also fits with what the letters from his comrades said, at the German second line trenches where attack stalled and killed covering retreat from counter attack.

• Like 4

That’s amazing news @Toonpack, well chuffed for you. 

I went to Thiepval a few years back, the memorial to the missing, and one of the things that struck me was just how many names are listed of missing men.

And that’s just men from the battles of the Somme. 

So pleased your relative has been found, and in time for there still to be a tangible connection between you and him. 

• Like 4

I posted this on Twitter in reply to Toonpack’s tweet on this. My grandfather knew this character who is intrinsically linked to the Battle of Loos where TP’s  great uncle lost his life. They were both from Berwickshire, they saw each other from time to time after they returned home.. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Laidlaw

I think about a billion years ago me and  @Monkeys Fist were chatting about WWl and realised both our gfathers were in the Royal Garrison Artillery?… 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

I think about a billion years ago me and  @Monkeys Fist were chatting about WWl and realised both our gfathers were in the Royal Garrison Artillery?… 

Aye, my great grandfather- poor fucker was stationed on one of the islands in the Firth of Forth initially, then went to France and came back deaf due to the guns they were blasting. 

One of the lucky ones, tbh. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Aye, my great grandfather- poor fucker was stationed on one of the islands in the Firth of Forth initially, then went to France and came back deaf due to the guns they were blasting. 

One of the lucky ones, tbh. 

Do you know what siege battery he was in?  My GF was 104th 

1 hour ago, PaddockLad said:

Do you know what siege battery he was in?  My GF was 104th 

I don’t off the top of my head. 

I’m wondering if he saw any arsefeet whilst he was stationed in the frozen wastes of Edinburgh though? :lol:

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

I don’t off the top of my head. 

I’m wondering if he saw any arsefeet whilst he was stationed in the frozen wastes of Edinburgh though? :lol:

You mean like (the recently promoted) Major General Sir Nils Olav III? 

• Haha 1