General Random Conversation..

Scottish Mag

Huh? You literally just linked an enormous list of mathematical advances between the building of the pyramids and the building of cathedrals.

Are you seriously saying there were no advances in mathematics between the 3rd millennia BC and the middle ages? You're link doesn't, but are you? Before you answer. Maybe you should actually read the link you googled.

This is your Viking alliance to take over England all over again. Try reading something ffs.

Thats all i said - that they point to the lack of a full narrative.

Renton thinks that pyramids were the only way to build large structures and therefore they dont.

I would argue that because they have precision engineering in them that requires complex astronomical understanding, this upsets the normal way we tell human history.

http://www.americanscientist.org/issues/pub/2004/9/astronomy-and-the-great-pyramid/3

I won't put words in Renton's mouth, but I really don't think he was talking about Egyptian astronomy, and the cardinal orientation of the pyramids. Nice article though.

You can protest all you like, Egyptian astrology is well understood by historians. There are numerous possible explanations for the way the pyramids were built, orientated, or whatever. Some are even mentioned in the article you linked. Historians know how the Egyptians could have orientated the pyramids, but there is very little information available from Egyptian records on the matter of how they actually did it. There are reasons for this, owing to the esoteric nature of the Egyptian priestly caste, but I won't ruin your conspiracy buzz with boring facts. And, reality. Yuck.

The lack of contemporary sources in no way, 'upsets the way we tell human history'. You sound like you really want to establish that gaps in historical understanding are a troubling issue. It's really not. Gaps in understanding are present in literally every field of study in the humanities. Don't take that gap and try and make it a chasm into which you throw all the poorly researched crap you've ever read.

As for 'full narratives'. Let's do an experiment, that's something people do to test the veracity of their knowledge. Pick a topic in history. Not the 1066 invasion. We've done that one. ;) Then check and see if the historical literature on that topic contains a 'full narrative'.

Morning!

No, just that Hippocrates and Pythagoras came after the Egyptians. Then things slow down until the early Rennaissance. The Egyptians were ahead of the Greeks and the Greeks laid the foundation for the next millennium.

Anyway apparently the pyramids were made out of a type of concrete.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2008/04/23/world/africa/23iht-pyramid.1.12259608.html?pagewanted=all&referer=&_r=0

I won't put words in Renton's mouth, but I really don't think he was talking about Egyptian astronomy, and the cardinal orientation of the pyramids. Nice article though.

You can protest all you like, Egyptian astrology is well understood by historians. There are numerous possible explanations for the way the pyramids were built, orientated, or whatever. Some are even mentioned in the article you linked. Historians know how the Egyptians could have orientated the pyramids, but there is very little information available from Egyptian records on the matter of how they actually did it. There are reasons for this, owing to the esoteric nature of the Egyptian priestly caste, but I won't ruin your conspiracy buzz with boring facts. And, reality. Yuck.

The lack of contemporary sources in no way, 'upsets the way we tell human history'. You sound like you really want to establish that gaps in historical understanding are a troubling issue. It's really not. Gaps in understanding are present in literally every field of study in the humanities. Don't take that gap and try and make it a chasm into which you throw all the poorly researched crap you've ever read.

As for 'full narratives'. Let's do an experiment, that's something people do to test the veracity of their knowledge. Pick a topic in history. Not the 1066 invasion. We've done that one. ;) Then check and see if the historical literature on that topic contains a 'full narrative'.

The Egyptians didn't do horoscopes, so you undermine the rest of that post.

My contention that the Norman invasion wasn't 'French' but Viking and was facilitated either indirectly or directly by the concerted Viking invasions that had been going on since the 700s is a perfectly valid reading of the history of Britain. The Normans may have just been chancers and lucky that another raid was going on but the point was it had nowt to do with Parisian Kings / Franks who were what we would now call the French at the time. I seem to remember you conceding on that one.

Any books that you've read on the causational relationship between the sacking of Lindisfarne and the collapse of the Anglo-Saxon line of English nobility? Or are we just making wild links of causation with cautious desperation again? :lol:

Any books that you've read on the causational relationship between the sacking of Lindisfarne and the collapse of the Anglo-Saxon line of English nobility? Or are we just making wild links of causation with cautious desperation again? :lol:

A book on how the Normans weren't French, yes.

It's called '1000 Years of Annoying the French' by Stephen Clark :lol:

Yeah Davey. We're discussing an apparent avenue of communication between Yucatan and Nile Delta societies, prior to inter-continental seafaring. God. This is serious.

Edited by toonotl

Got a couple more photos from the breeder, pick her up next Wednesday.

7SO6L7f.jpg

R7lUEqd.jpg

Been home a couple of hours. She was a saint in the car for nearly 2 hours. Got home, went mental, fed, pissed, shat. Is now asleep in her "crate" (apparently they aren't cages according to our lass).

Think I have just signed my free time away by choice..