General Random Conversation..

Scottish Mag

Sounds like the woman who used to run the ice cream shop in Seaton Deleval who would hoy a radgie if you had the temerity to ask for vanilla when you meant plain (or maybe it was the other way around, can't remember)

That's still there (the Crescent Cafe). Been superseded by Cicarelli's like.

I would never let him see me that weak. [emoji38] I love a good ham and Pineapple tbf but I think he'd have your head in the pizza oven.

Tbf, I totally agree with the less is more approach to pizza toppings. And I love a nice pizza, but he still takes a bit far. It's pizza ffs :lol:

I went to the Seaton Delaval place and wasn't that impressed. After people had gone wild about it.

Aye, it was nice back in the era when the only alternative was Mr Whippy but it's nowt special.

Tbf, I totally agree with the less is more approach to pizza toppings. And I love a nice pizza, but he still takes a bit far. It's pizza ffs [emoji38]

Ah totally. Remember he had posters up in the Chilli Road place telling people how to eat the pizza and signing off with "respect the craft". [emoji38]

I fucking love the pizza though and it's an absolute banker for a class feed - he does really nice starters and desserts now too. I even had an espresso martini last time I was there. [emoji38]

I'll genuinely be gutted if it's game over.

Ah totally. Remember he had posters up in the Chilli Road place telling people how to eat the pizza and signing off with "respect the craft". [emoji38]

I fucking love the pizza though and it's an absolute banker for a class feed - he does really nice starters and desserts now too. I even had an espresso martini last time I was there. [emoji38]

I'll genuinely be gutted if it's game over.

I occaisonally make them. Created my own version :lol: Think I posted the recipe on here once (for Brock). You're right though as loads of the pizza places in town etc. are a bit naff considering how many of them there are.

Howay let us have the recipe then. I looked it up the other day when I got back in and I've got vodka, kahlua and an espresso machine arriving on my birthday so I'm fully ready to go. What tweaks do you introduce?

I do a nice home made pizza like.

You'll never get as good as somewhere like Cal's though, simply because you can't replicate the heat of a proper wood fired clay oven.

Gemmill just make sure you use 00 flour and if possible let the dough rise for about a day. Also use san marzano tomatoes for your sauce.

Howay let us have the recipe then. I looked it up the other day when I got back in and I've got vodka, kahlua and an espresso machine arriving on my birthday so I'm fully ready to go. What tweaks do you introduce?

Per person:

1 measure of espresso (made in advance and cooled down or the ice will melt)

1 measure of coffee liqueur (Kahlua, Tia Maria etc)

1 measure decent vodka

1 measure white creme de cacao (which you can get loads of places - Sainsbury's etc. It's not a 'cream liqueur like Bailey's etc. it's clear).

Shake with ice and strain into a Martini glass

You wouldn't drink loads of them but they're a nice aperitif for a change

You'll never get as good as somewhere like Cal's though, simply because you can't replicate the heat of a proper wood fired clay oven.

Gemmill just make sure you use 00 flour and if possible let the dough rise for about a day. Also use san marzano tomatoes for your sauce.

I'm wanting an espresso martini recipe you mad bastard. [emoji38]

Per person:

1 measure of espresso (made in advance and cooled down or the ice will melt)

1 measure of coffee liqueur (Kahlua, Tia Maria etc)

1 measure decent vodka

1 measure white creme de cacao (which you can get loads of places - Sainsbury's etc. It's not a 'cream liqueur like Bailey's etc. it's clear).

Shake with ice and strain into a Martini glass

You wouldn't drink loads of them but they're a nice aperitif for a change

Nice one, I'll give this a blast cheers.

I thought you were teetotal. Your body is a temple and all that? Yoga? Chakras??

What happened to you man...

Never been to Cal's but mentioned in the Lunch thread before, Elder & Wolf on Whitley Road has one of them ovens and does some lush Pizza's and flat bread based bait.

Been a couple of times now and happy with both servings.

Nah never been teetotal but I can go weeks and months without a drink. I very rarely get monged but I like a bit drink in the house.

I'm alcoholically intelligent.

Fair enough - this drink you're trying does sound nice as well, tbf.

All this talk about cracking food options in and around town, and where did my folks take us when we visited at the weekend? The Wetherspoons on Gosforth High Street. :lol:

:lol:

Also, tell you what's quite nice, two parts decent silver tequila to one part coffee liqueur. Just serve over ice in an old-fashioned glass / tumbler. Obviously easier than fannying about with a cocktail shaker / waiting for the coffee to cool down too. Came up with that after I got some of that Italian Espresso Liqueur Aldi have in atm.  I don't doubt someone else got there first with at least something very similar like

get a pizza stone and shovel. you can get modern ovens pretty fucking hot with one of those and they cost next to nowt. pizza cooks in next to no time and tastes pretty close to what you'd get in a restaurant, minus the smoky taste you get with a wood burning oven pizza