Reaching Europe

JawD

Updated

We got to 7th quicker than I thought with some results going our way (Bolton & West Ham). Tricky to keep it but more than possible. Now can we aim for 6th? Very possible indeed. Bolton & West Ham are the two to fend off, goal difference needs catching up on Bolton also just in case. Blackburn for 6th is the tricky one like. Getting close though.

Newcastle

Wigan (H) 3 AYE

Sunderland (A) 3 AYE

West Brom (H) 3

Brum (A) 1

Chelsea (H) 1

Current 45

TOTAL 56

Blackburn

Liverpool (H) - 0 AYE

Birmingham (A) - 1

Charlton (A) - 1

Chelsea (H) - 0

Man City (H) - 3

Current - 54 points

TOTAL 59 points

Bolton

Chelsea (H) 0 AYE

West Brom (A) 3 NO 1pt

Charlton (H) 3

Spurs (A) 0

Brum (H) 1

Boro (H) 3

Current 48

TOTAL 56

Wigan

Newcastle (A) 0 AYE

Villa (H) 3

Fulham (A) 1

Pompy (H) 3

Arsenal (A) 0

Current 48

TOTAL 55

West Ham

Man City (H) 3 AYE

Boro (A) 1 NO 0pts

Liverpool (H) 0

West Brom (A) 3

Spurs (H) 1

Current 46

TOTAL 53

Everton

Spurs (H) 1 NO 0pts

Chelsea (H) 0 AYE

Brum (H) 3

Boro (A) 1

West Brom (H) 3

Current 45

TOTAL 52

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We need to win our last 3 games to have a chance I reckon, which is going to be tough. We're playing two teams fighting for their lives plus Chelsea (although at least the league will be in the bag before we play them).

Newcastle

Wigan (H) 3

Sunderland (A) 3

West Brom (H) 3

Brum (A) 3

Chelsea (H) 1

Current 45

TOTAL 58

Blackburn

Liverpool (H) - 0

Birmingham (A) - 1

Charlton (A) - 1

Chelsea (H) - 0

Man City (H) - 1

Current - 54 points

TOTAL 57 points

Bolton

Chelsea (H) 0

West Brom (A) 3

Charlton (H) 3

Spurs (A) 1

Brum (H) 1

Boro (H) 1

Current 48

TOTAL 57

I See sixth as possible...........

Updated after Brum v Blackburn

Good win for Brum edging things in our favour again. To keep 7th we need to watch West Ham and Bolton with the latter having a game in hand. Though, they (Bolton) also are struggling a little at the moment. With our toughest being our last, its crucial we pick up all three at home this weekend with arguably the easiest of our last three games, though still againts a side fighting to stay up.

Newcastle

Wigan (H) 3 AYE

Sunderland (A) 3 AYE

West Brom (H) 3

Brum (A) 1

Chelsea (H) 1

Current 45

TOTAL 56

Blackburn

Liverpool (H) - 0 AYE

Birmingham (A) - 1 NO 0

Charlton (A) - 1

Chelsea (H) - 0

Man City (H) - 3

Current - 54 points

TOTAL 58 points

Bolton

Chelsea (H) 0 AYE

West Brom (A) 3 NO 1pt

Charlton (H) 3

Spurs (A) 0

Brum (H) 1

Boro (H) 3

Current 48

TOTAL 56

Wigan

Newcastle (A) 0 AYE

Villa (H) 3

Fulham (A) 1

Pompy (H) 3

Arsenal (A) 0

Current 48

TOTAL 55

West Ham

Man City (H) 3 AYE

Boro (A) 1 NO 0pts

Liverpool (H) 0

West Brom (A) 3

Spurs (H) 1

Current 46

TOTAL 53

Removed Everton

If we finish in the top 6 it would be pretty hard for Shepherd to ignore Roeder for the permanent job tbh.

124144[/snapback]

but he isnt the bet man for the job though is he? Admittedly he may be better than who we end up with but we have to aim for higher, shirley? I think what's been learnt these last couple of months is that Roeder has a lot more to offer the club than just working with the academy and him working as a coach alongside our new worldclass boss would be spot on!

:lol:

If we finish in the top 6 it would be pretty hard for Shepherd to ignore Roeder for the permanent job tbh.

124144[/snapback]

but he isnt the bet man for the job though is he? Admittedly he may be better than who we end up with but we have to aim for higher, shirley? I think what's been learnt these last couple of months is that Roeder has a lot more to offer the club than just working with the academy and him working as a coach alongside our new worldclass boss would be spot on!

:icon_lol:

124410[/snapback]

I honestly don't know. I'm not saying he's a potential "great", but all the great managers have to start somewhere don't they? What I mean is imagine it's 5 or 6 years ago and we had Mourinho as Academy Director.....the manager loses his job and he steps in as caretaker, and the fans all clamour for a big name. That would have been a canny big mistake.

I'm not suggesting that Roeder is a Mourinho in the making, but no one knew Mourinho was a Mourinho in the making either, if you see what I mean. :lol:

Guest CrimsonFault
Finishing 6th is not going to happen imo.

We will have to win our last 3. Cant see us rolling over Chelski tbh.

122956[/snapback]

They'll have won the league by then, theyll have 400 fans up in Level 7, there players will be rested for the World Cup and the FA Cup Final, they'll have nowt to play for.

124144[/snapback]

:angry:

124410[/snapback]

I honestly don't know. I'm not saying he's a potential "great", but all the great managers have to start somewhere don't they? What I mean is imagine it's 5 or 6 years ago and we had Mourinho as Academy Director.....the manager loses his job and he steps in as caretaker, and the fans all clamour for a big name. That would have been a canny big mistake.

I'm not suggesting that Roeder is a Mourinho in the making, but no one knew Mourinho was a Mourinho in the making either, if you see what I mean. :lol:

124450[/snapback]

I see I've sent you all into a stunned (and slightly worried at the prospect of now losing Roeder) silence with this bit of theorising. :icon_lol:

I'm half-serious about being concerned that we could get rid of Roeder and end up with someone not as good as him btw. And I don't mean Bruce or O'Leary.

124144[/snapback]

:nufc:

124410[/snapback]

124450[/snapback]

I see I've sent you all into a stunned (and slightly worried at the prospect of now losing Roeder) silence with this bit of theorising. :blush:

I'm half-serious about being concerned that we could get rid of Roeder and end up with someone not as good as him btw. And I don't mean Bruce or O'Leary.

124518[/snapback]

I agree we could get someone a lot worse but let's not forget this isnt Roeder's first management job, and whilst as a coach he could benefit the club, he isnt the full package to manage us.

124144[/snapback]

:nufc:

124410[/snapback]

124450[/snapback]

I see I've sent you all into a stunned (and slightly worried at the prospect of now losing Roeder) silence with this bit of theorising. :blush:

124518[/snapback]

I agree we could get someone a lot worse but let's not forget this isnt Roeder's first management job, and whilst as a coach he could benefit the club, he isnt the full package to manage us.

124539[/snapback]

I don't think you can make that conclusion from his short time at West Ham tbh. I think it remains to be seen whether he's the complete package, rather than being able to say that he definitely isn't.

Throughout this whole who will it be thing, I've admittedly been against Glen getting the job in the hope that we would attract someone who can take this club where we all want it. As names have been disappearing off the "possible" list, I think Roeder has been becoming more and more of a good choice. We've had results that the squad should have been getting all year, though a few blips and rightful turn overs by teams such as Man U. We do need more players in and a few need to be shipped out and maybe just maybe Glen, though not glamourous, we be the man to do it. He may not be a O'Neil or a Scolari, but then does that matter if he can get us into 5th next year? Former club captain, worked with players at all levels and now a track record at the club to suggest he can.

Its been suggested that he could come in with a DOF above him or something, maybe that is another idea and a way to go.

Its quite right that we could send Glen back to the academy and end up with someone not necessarily crap, but who just cant make it work. Even Houllier. There is no guarantee's with anyone, and while we would expect Houllier to perhaps win us something, at least we now know what we are getting with GR.

Roeder should be judged on what he has achieved at Newcastle, and that alone.

His record in the games he has managed us is comparable with that of SBR at his height. He's got results from the same set of players, with the same sort of injuries as Souness couldn't. And Souness was "getting all he could out of the players" remember!!

We need to lose this 'he's not a big enough name for us' line. If a manager continues to achieve the results Roeder has achieved for us, who gives a flying fuck if he's a big enough name - he's good enough!

That's the one thing that I have reservations about - tactically he's good though, and a million times better than his predecessor.

Roeder should be judged on what he has achieved at Newcastle, and that alone.

His record in the games he has managed us is comparable with that of SBR at his height. He's got results from the same set of players, with the same sort of injuries as Souness couldn't. And Souness was "getting all he could out of the players" remember!!

124556[/snapback]

That's the problem, we can't compare every candidate to Souness, otherwise every man and his dog would be good enough for the job.

Roeder has done well so far but all the teams we've beaten have been either worse than us or around the same level on paper. I'm not saying I expected us to beat Chelsea, Man U or Liverpool but had we done that then I would've been more impressed with him.

And we can't judge him on what he did at Newcastle alone, any potential appointment has to be judged on past achievements as well. He got a very good West Ham team relegated and the story about how they had the most points of any team to be relegated doesn't matter as Brooking earnt them 7 points from their last 3 games.

I'm yet to be convinced by him, he has done well since he came in but for me he would have to have done an exceptional job to be considered for the post. If a more proven manager is out there and is willing to take the job then I'd prefer him to Glen.

I would say he's done a great job since he's come in tbh. To take a squad of players with no morale in 14th or 15th place to the brink of being a top 6 side again in 3 months is pretty impressive. On current form we're a top 4 side, and it doesn't matter who we've played or whether they've had a dip in form or not.

People have dismissed Shearer's contribution to the dressing room too. With him gone next year, will there be a negative effect? Can Roeder do it alone? I'm not so sure.

124576[/snapback]

Maybe, I think it will be the same for whoever comes in though. I'd still rather have a new manager (got to be the right man) with Roeder in a coaching capacity though.