Good Friday

Jill

Everyone at work has just kicked off at me for saying I'll be eating meat on Good Friday.. Is it really *that* disrespectful? :D

I'm not the slightest bit religious and have never followed the tradition (since I was old enough to cook for myself because my mam is religious) but they way they reacted you'd think I'd stabbed this Jesus dude myself.. :lol:

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is everyone old in your office with nothing to live for, apart from death??  :D

119289[/snapback]

40s and 50s mostly, though the person who reacted strongest is 30 and admits herself that she isn't religious, but observes this tradition "out of respect". For who? If I'm not religious who am I supposedly being respectful towards? (Serious question, she assumed I was being awkward and didn't answer..)

I'll eat what I like tbh. I don't go to church or owt, so what's the point in me all of a sudden observing some religious gubbins just because it's Easter. It's just an extra long weekend as far as I'm concerned.

Im no religious buff, so why shouldnt we eat meat on friday?

119299[/snapback]

Out of respect for Jesus, he ate a lot of sausage on Fridays.

I think a lot (if not most) people in this country have fish and chips on Good Friday but I think it's more of a tradition along the lines of having turkey on Xmas Day* these days. I suppose it's a bit like having a big white wedding in a church when you aren't even religious, i.e. a complete fucking waste of time :D

*I know that's a relative recent thing / American tradition, but you know what I mean.

Everyone at work has just kicked off at me for saying I'll be eating meat on Good Friday.. Is it really *that* disrespectful? :D

I'm not the slightest bit religious and have never followed the tradition (since I was old enough to cook for myself because my mam is religious) but they way they reacted you'd think I'd stabbed this Jesus dude myself.. :lol:

119285[/snapback]

They sound pretty ignorant. You're not the same religion as them (any more anyway); I presume they follow every tradition from the religious spectrum throughout the year?

I'll eat what I like tbh.  I don't go to church or owt, so what's the point in me all of a sudden observing some religious gubbins just because it's Easter.  It's just an extra long weekend as far as I'm concerned.

119301[/snapback]

And how! :D

I'm not the slightest bit religious and have never followed the tradition (since I was old enough to cook for myself because my mam is religious) but they way they reacted you'd think I'd stabbed this Jesus dude myself.. :blink:

119285[/snapback]

They sound pretty ignorant. You're not the same religion as them (any more anyway); I presume they follow every tradition from the religious spectrum throughout the year?

119307[/snapback]

Nope, by their own admission - that's the bit I don't get, why this one? :lol:

Is it something to do with the feeding of the 5 thousand?

To be on the safe side though, I'd recommend avoiding bacon at all times too, and smoking lots of ganja.

119308[/snapback]

:D You pithy fool!

So is a pork pie ok then? Or maybe a meat pie from greggs as thats prob got next to no meat in it. In fact, sausages has little meat in also?

Hmm, gonna have to trawl the net to find out why (not that it will matter like, Im still going for a chinees).

To be on the safe side though, I'd recommend avoiding bacon at all times too, and smoking lots of ganja.

119308[/snapback]

I think it's the idea of not eating flesh (fish is ok though) on Good Friday because Jesus was crucified that day (don't see what's good about that like :D ). Traditionally Catholics in this country observe this every Friday. Disclaimer: I think!

I'll eat what I like tbh.  I don't go to church or owt, so what's the point in me all of a sudden observing some religious gubbins just because it's Easter.  It's just an extra long weekend as far as I'm concerned.

119301[/snapback]

And how! :D

119309[/snapback]

Just went back down to the canteen to get a double decker and I come back to this cheek! I dunno..... :lol:

119308[/snapback]

These days I think he's just referred to as the Fish.

Reet, it says:-

The most important events in Christianity are the death and later resurrection of Jesus Christ, the Jewish prophet who Christians believe is the Son of God, and whose life and teachings are the foundation of Christianity.

Good Friday is the Friday before Easter. It commemorates the execution of Jesus by crucifixion.

Good Friday is a day of mourning in church. During special Good Friday services Christians meditate on Jesus's suffering and death on the cross, and what this means for their faith.

In some countries, there are special Good Friday processions, or re-enactments of the Crucifixion.

The main service on Good Friday takes place between midday and 3pm. In many churches it takes the form of a meditation based on the seven last words of Jesus on the cross, with hymns, prayers, and short sermons.

Read about The Passion of Christ

The seven last words from the cross

The Bible quotes seven last sentences that Jesus spoke from the Cross

"Father , forgive them; for they do not know what they are doing."

(Luke 23:34)

"Truly I tell you, today you will be with me in paradise."

(Luke 23 :43)

"Woman,here is your son….Here is your mother"

(John 19:26)

"Eloi, Eloi, lema sabachthani?"

(My God, My God, why have you forsaken me?) (Mark 15:34)

"I am thirsty"

(John 19:28)

"It is finished"

(John 19:30)

"Father, into your hands I commend my spirit"

(Luke 23:46)

Nowhere do I see

"Oh, and by the way, eat meat on this day and I shall strike ye down"

(Luke 23:55)

119308[/snapback]

I think it's the idea of not eating flesh (fish is ok though) on Good Friday because Jesus was crucified that day (don't see what's good about that like :D ). Traditionally Catholics in this country observe this every Friday. Disclaimer: I think!

119314[/snapback]

So isn't avoiding cannabalism once a year OK?

You're right about catholics - Fish on Friday we were told. As much for the alliteration as anything else I suspect.

119308[/snapback]

119314[/snapback]

Hmm, maybe he meant cannibals?

119314[/snapback]

Even the heathen-but-nominally-CofE primary school I went to insisted on serving Slab Of Reconstituted Fish Sludge instead of Slab Of Reconstituted Meat Sludge on Fridays. It's a bizarre tradition really.

We know of course that Jesus prepared for His public ministry by fasting for forty days and nights in the desert. Although during His time with them He did not give specific directions as to how His followers were to fast after His ascension to the Father, it is quite evident that fasting and abstinence were faithfully assumed by the first Christians (Acts 13:3; 14:23)

Riiiight, so this none meat eating is based on an assumption. Basically because big J starved himself for a while before he was stuck to the cross, its said that out of respect we should not eat meat on this day.

Bet the person who wrote that was a veggie who liked fish.