Good Friday

Jill

Could be down to, as Rob says, that a pope decreed that the people eat more fish due to the Italian fishing industry being in decline.

Or that fasting on Fridays and Wednesdays meant just eating as the poor would, seeing as you could catch a fish or eat veg without paying for it, but meat was a food of the rich.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it something to do with the feeding of the 5 thousand?

To be on the safe side though, I'd recommend avoiding bacon at all times too, and smoking lots of ganja.

119308[/snapback]

I think it's the idea of not eating flesh (fish is ok though) on Good Friday because Jesus was crucified that day (don't see what's good about that like :D ). Traditionally Catholics in this country observe this every Friday. Disclaimer: I think!

119314[/snapback]

So isn't avoiding cannabalism once a year OK?

You're right about catholics - Fish on Friday we were told. As much for the alliteration as anything else I suspect.

119319[/snapback]

It has to do with lent between Ashes Wednesday and Good Friday. Those two days are also special lent days where you are only supposed to eat one light meal. The fact that Catholics are not supposed to eat meat on Fridays stems from this tradition and not the other way round. IIRC.

119343[/snapback]

Why do we eat pancakes on Shrove Tuesday* then? And what the fuck is a Shrove? :lol:

*I know that one btw :blink:

Is it something to do with the feeding of the 5 thousand?

To be on the safe side though, I'd recommend avoiding bacon at all times too, and smoking lots of ganja.

119308[/snapback]

I think it's the idea of not eating flesh (fish is ok though) on Good Friday because Jesus was crucified that day (don't see what's good about that like :D ). Traditionally Catholics in this country observe this every Friday. Disclaimer: I think!

119314[/snapback]

So isn't avoiding cannabalism once a year OK?

You're right about catholics - Fish on Friday we were told. As much for the alliteration as anything else I suspect.

119319[/snapback]

It has to do with lent between Ashes Wednesday and Good Friday. Those two days are also special lent days where you are only supposed to eat one light meal. The fact that Catholics are not supposed to eat meat on Fridays stems from this tradition and not the other way round. IIRC.

119343[/snapback]

Why do we eat pancakes on Shrove Tuesday* then? And what the fuck is a Shrove? :lol:

*I know that one btw :blink:

119368[/snapback]

Let me guess, Mr big J was offered to be stoned with a huge block (think Life of Brian) and out of respect we have to eat things that are flat?

Oh and shrove has something to do with sins I think?

it was me, I ate all the pancakes

If you're religious it's a different matter, they can have a go at you, but FFS, if you don't practice at all what's their fucking problem??

Worse than Jehovahs! At least the fuck off and don't know you from Adam...

Could be down to, as Rob says, that a pope decreed that the people eat more fish due to the Italian fishing industry being in decline.

119362[/snapback]

1800's wasn't it? And no Rob, that isn't a reference to your alleged age. IIRC it is a little known fact, but a fact all the same. Personally Jill I'd tell the self rightous f*ckers to pawn their religious beliefs on someone else.

I think it's the idea of not eating flesh (fish is ok though) on Good Friday because Jesus was crucified that day (don't see what's good about that like ;) ). Traditionally Catholics in this country observe this every Friday. Disclaimer: I think!

119314[/snapback]

I think you are right Alex. I'm fairly sure though (99%) that the eating of meat was 'okayed' by the catholic church, if not by the pontiff himself, a long time ago.

btw, what type of fuckin' word is pontiff FFS

I think it's the idea of not eating flesh (fish is ok though) on Good Friday because Jesus was crucified that day (don't see what's good about that like ;) ). Traditionally Catholics in this country observe this every Friday. Disclaimer: I think!

119314[/snapback]

I think you are right Alex. I'm fairly sure though (99%) that the eating of meat was 'okayed' by the catholic church, if not by the pontiff himself, a long time ago.

btw, what type of fuckin' word is pontiff FFS

119456[/snapback]

Never mind that, why is it "good" that Jesus died? Surely it should be Bad Friday and Good Sunday?

Reet, it says:-

The most important events in Christianity are the death and later resurrection of Jesus Christ, the Jewish prophet who Christians believe is the Son of God, and whose life and teachings are the foundation of Christianity.

Good Friday is the Friday before Easter. It commemorates the execution of Jesus by crucifixion.

Good Friday is a day of mourning in church. During special Good Friday services Christians meditate on Jesus's suffering and death on the cross, and what this means for their faith.

In some countries, there are special Good Friday processions, or re-enactments of the Crucifixion.

The main service on Good Friday takes place between midday and 3pm. In many churches it takes the form of a meditation based on the seven last words of Jesus on the cross, with hymns, prayers, and short sermons.

Read about The Passion of Christ

The seven last words from the cross

The Bible quotes seven last sentences that Jesus spoke from the Cross

"Father , forgive them; for they do not know what they are doing."

(Luke 23:34)

"Truly I tell you, today you will be with me in paradise."

(Luke 23 :43)

"Woman,here is your son….Here is your mother"

(John 19:26)

"Eloi, Eloi, lema sabachthani?"

(My God, My God, why have you forsaken me?) (Mark 15:34)

"I am thirsty"

(John 19:28)

"It is finished"

(John 19:30)

"Father, into your hands I commend my spirit"

(Luke 23:46)

Nowhere do I see

"Oh, and by the way, eat meat on this day and I shall strike ye down"

(Luke 23:55)

119318[/snapback]

Basically Luke reckoned he was nails and Mark reckoned he was bricking it.

119331[/snapback]

I am, tbh.

"..and we commemorate the death and resurrection of jesus: by telling our children that a giant bunny rabbit left chocolate eggs in the night” - Bill Hicks

Anyone watching the Manchester Passion on BBC3? The music should be canny at least.

119480[/snapback]

That's a bit random.

I was listening to the Stone Roses for the first time in yonks last week and it brought back some good memories of the North West in the early 90s. One of the best albums ever.

Did any of you give anything up for lent then? I presume this is as a mark of respect to big J for the fact he fasted for so long. I thought i'd try and give up chocolate this year....not because of the religious angle, but because i want to lose a few pounds!! :(

I notice the elderly still tend to have fish on a friday but the tradition is slowly dying....i'd eat fish any day tbh, i love it.

I will eat what i like on Good Friday, im not religious so won't be a hypocrite. I'm sick of traditions that folk blindly follow year after year without it having any meaning to them.

I know last christmas i suggested to my family who were all coming for xmas dinner that maybe i'd buy a large piece of beef....my god! :( the shocked look on their faces was comical..but why do we have turkey at chrismas? was a turkey present at the birth of baby jesus? ;) I told you im not religious in any way! :blush:

Anyway from now on i refuse to conform to these pointless (for me) traditions, if i wanna have burger and chips on christmas day i will....and im sick of spending all my hard earned money on gifts for people who i cant stand :blush: Why do we all do it? Things are going to change!!! :blink:

Did any of you give anything up for lent then?  I presume this is as a mark of respect to big J for the fact he fasted for so long.  I thought i'd try and give up chocolate this year....not because of the religious angle, but because i want to lose a few pounds!!  :blush:

I notice the elderly still tend to have fish on a friday but the tradition is slowly dying....i'd eat fish any day tbh, i love it.

I will eat what i like on Good Friday, im not religious so won't be a hypocrite.  I'm sick of traditions that folk blindly follow year after year without it having any meaning to them.

I know last christmas i suggested to my family who were all coming for xmas dinner that maybe i'd buy a large piece of beef....my god!  :(  the shocked look on their faces was comical..but why do we have turkey at chrismas? was a turkey present at the birth of baby jesus?  ;)  I told you im not religious in any way!  :blush:

Anyway from now on i refuse to conform to these pointless (for me)  traditions, if i wanna have burger and chips on christmas day i will....and im sick of spending all my hard earned money on gifts for people who i cant stand  :blush:  Why do we all do it?  Things are going to change!!! :blink:

119488[/snapback]

You rebel you! :(

Did any of you give anything up for lent then?   I presume this is as a mark of respect to big J for the fact he fasted for so long.  I thought i'd try and give up chocolate this year....not because of the religious angle, but because i want to lose a few pounds!!   :blush:

I will eat what i like on Good Friday, im not religious so won't be a hypocrite.  I'm sick of traditions that folk blindly follow year after year without it having any meaning to them.

I know last christmas i suggested to my family who were all coming for xmas dinner that maybe i'd buy a large piece of beef....my god!  :(  the shocked look on their faces was comical..but why do we have turkey at chrismas? was a turkey present at the birth of baby jesus?  ;)  I told you im not religious in any way!  :blush:

Anyway from now on i refuse to conform to these pointless (for me)  traditions, if i wanna have burger and chips on christmas day i will....and im sick of spending all my hard earned money on gifts for people who i cant stand  :blush:  Why do we all do it?  Things are going to change!!! :blink:

119488[/snapback]

You rebel you! :(

119490[/snapback]

yes i think i'm returning to my very wild teenage ideals :blush:

Anyone watching the Manchester Passion on BBC3? The music should be canny at least.

119480[/snapback]

Aye, mentioning an adaptation of the Easter story in a thread about Good Friday. How random is that? ;)

i'd eat fish any day tbh, i love it.

119488[/snapback]

Latent (blatant) lezza!!

119491[/snapback]

:blink:

trust you to pick up on that :(

119494[/snapback]

So you gonna give up on Xmas as well? ;) or is that a tradition worth holding on to :( Actually, few years back ... well maybe 8 or so... I ended up having a rubber microwave burger for Xmas from a garage. Went for a pub meal which was crap, walked out then realising I had nowt in and everywhere was shut. Doh!

119488[/snapback]

Latent (blatant) lezza!!

119491[/snapback]

:blink:

119494[/snapback]

So you gonna give up on Xmas as well? ;) or is that a tradition worth holding on to :( Actually, few years back ... well maybe 8 or so... I ended up having a rubber microwave burger for Xmas from a garage. Went for a pub meal which was crap, walked out then realising I had nowt in and everywhere was shut. Doh!

119508[/snapback]

aw that sounded lonely... did anyone show compassion or christmas spirit and come to your rescue though?

I know what you're saying...i do like our christmas tree and buying gifts for those i love and care about even though im not religious. So i suppose im still being hypocritical :blush: but i intend to be myself more and only do what feels right instead of pretending and going along with things i dont want to do just because everyone else does.

119488[/snapback]

Latent (blatant) lezza!!

119491[/snapback]

:(

119494[/snapback]

So you gonna give up on Xmas as well? ;) or is that a tradition worth holding on to :blush: Actually, few years back ... well maybe 8 or so... I ended up having a rubber microwave burger for Xmas from a garage. Went for a pub meal which was crap, walked out then realising I had nowt in and everywhere was shut. Doh!

119508[/snapback]

aw that sounded lonely... did anyone show compassion or christmas spirit and come to your rescue though?

I know what you're saying...i do like our christmas tree and buying gifts for those i love and care about even though im not religious. So i suppose im still being hypocritical :blush: but i intend to be myself more and only do what feels right instead of pretending and going along with things i dont want to do just because everyone else does.

119522[/snapback]

No ... I was left to walk the streets alone, pondering my solitude. Even the stray cats and dogs had alleyways to share.... :blink:

Alreet so thats bollocks, I wasnt actually alone, three was there of us and we just got pissed instead. :blush:

Never mind that, why is it "good" that Jesus died? Surely it should be Bad Friday and Good Sunday?

119460[/snapback]

Good Friday because J.C. took all the sins of all the people with him when he died.

Which was canny good of him really, when you think about it. I mean, being a Friday, it meant everyone had a clean slate and could then go on a complete weekend of drink and shagging ;)

Okayyyyyy. The reasons for not eating meat on a Good Friday is because it is a day of fasting and abstainance in the Catholic church. As Isegrim said, you are supposed to eat basic foods with no treats and meat is considered to be a luxury food. We always had fish and chips on a Friday lunchtime, went to mass at 3pm and then had a very basic meal at teatime. Good Friday is a sombre day in the churches calendar.

Personally I do avoid meat on a GF but that's my personal choice. I would never suggest anyone else does so and certainly wouldn't try to persuade them that they should. It's an individual thing and about someone's personal belief and faith, and it certainly doesn't offend me if anyone else has steak for their tea!

It's funny though, that (as well as Christmas) the majority of people are happy to go along with the traditions because it means they can have presents on Christmas Day and eat chocolate on Easter SUnday, but then decree that they couldn't give a fuck about the reasons behind why these traditions exist. You've a lot to thank us Catholics for ;)