IT'S ROEDER!

snakehips

By the way, the business about Shearer in the Oliver article is pathetic. If this decision is all down to keeping Shearer involved at the club, then it's absolutely ridiculous. We're staking our future on a bloke who we don't even know will cut the mustard as a manager??

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Roeder's done a good job to pick up the shit left behind by Souness, but our total lack of competitiveness against Chelsea, Liverpool and Man U under him has been a worry. All three could and should have quite easily stuffed us. This club needs a manager who can take it up a level.

127259[/snapback]

I don't really buy that argument, because the fact is that we don't have the players to compete with Man U, Liverpool or Chelsea. And that's not Roeder's fault. Yes, they could have competed better on the day, but it's a long term thing getting us back on a par with that lot.

Here's Oliver's bit from the Chron btw:

[/url]

I have to say that if we ended up with Roder and the scum got O'Neil I would be right fucked off.

By the way, the business about Shearer in the Oliver article is pathetic.  If this decision is all down to keeping Shearer involved at the club, then it's absolutely ridiculous.  We're staking our future on a bloke who we don't even know will cut the mustard as a manager??

127270[/snapback]

And that would surprise you would it?

Roeder's done a good job to pick up the shit left behind by Souness, but our total lack of competitiveness against Chelsea, Liverpool and Man U under him has been a worry. All three could and should have quite easily stuffed us. This club needs a manager who can take it up a level.

127259[/snapback]

I don't really buy that argument, because the fact is that we don't have the players to compete with Man U, Liverpool or Chelsea. And that's not Roeder's fault. Yes, they could have competed better on the day, but it's a long term thing getting us back on a par with that lot.

[/url]

I have to say that if we ended up with Roder and the scum got O'Neil I would be right fucked off.

I don't think McClaren's gonna get the England job any more mate, following the lukewarm press reaction. I think Boro are stuck with him and O'Neill will need to wait for the next Premiership sacking.

By the way, the business about Shearer in the Oliver article is pathetic.  If this decision is all down to keeping Shearer involved at the club, then it's absolutely ridiculous.  We're staking our future on a bloke who we don't even know will cut the mustard as a manager??

127270[/snapback]

And that would surprise you would it?

127273[/snapback]

Unfortunately not.

The latest news from N-O is that he'll get us relegated next season.  Has this been confirmed anywhere? ;)

127251[/snapback]

To be fair to them, he's not Hitzfeld, therefore he shouldn't be allowed to be manager.

Expect to see www.roederoutofthetoon.com setup soon.

127259[/snapback]

[/url]

I don't think McClaren's gonna get the England job any more mate, following the lukewarm press reaction. I think Boro are stuck with him and O'Neill will need to wait for the next Premiership sacking.

I meant the other scum. The bottom of the article says that he could be on his way to the great unwashed if an Oirish consortium take over!

127270[/snapback]

If theres any truth in that its a disgrace. I thought we could finally start moving on, guess I was wrong

127270[/snapback]

Hey Geordie boy Gemmill, you cannot talk about Geordie boys Alan Shearer and Alan Oliver in this way. It is totally disrespectful. You should take Geordie boy Lee Clark's as an example who is a great pro and would love nothing more than working for his home town club under his colleague Geordie boy Alan Shearer.

Anyway I don't buy all this manager talk because as I understand Mancini is house hunting in Newcastle anyway.

It's difficult when the manager doesn't have a winning track record, you can't be sure. But we have been down that road and they didn't succeed or weren't given enough time and not just by the board, by us too because we all or most of us wanted rid of Dalglish and Gullit in the end. We have however appointed these trophy winning managers, so there is no reason not to doubt we could do it again.

This is not meant to be another Shepherd thread BTW, I'm just trying to put across a fact.

We are all suggesting different people for this job, it is far from unanimous.

The one thing about Roeder is that he has succeeded in uniting the fans again. He has restored a sinking ship to a peaceful one that has zoomed up the league ?

What more did we want ?

Some want him, some don't. That makes him the same as O'Neill, Allardyce, SGE etc.

I for one will give him my backing, for the simple reason that he has restored my enthusiasm that fuckwit killed, and he deserves it and for those who are concerned with 5 year plans and the like, he knows the club, the area, the pressure of the job and the talent or otherwise of the young players he's been coaching that may or may not come through !! It would be a sad loss if we let him go and he went somewhere else and was successful not having had a chance here. His test is how he handles a new season from the off, and how he buys and sells, which is yet to come. If he makes one or two arsehole sigings though, then everyone else has apart from Keegan [almost].

Besides, I saw him in the Fairholm Club once on a Sunday lunch time when he was a player .... ;)

Edited by LeazesMag

His tactics have been good unlike Souness IMO.

127269[/snapback]

If that qualifies someone for the job, how far down the leagues would we have to go to find someone who didn't qualify?

That would really piss me off.

It would seem(albeit via rumours) that O'Neill was offered the job straight after the City game.

For whatever reason, he's dragged his heels over it. I also think, despite Freddy's jibber jabber, the we haven't had applications from the world's top managers.

I'm not happy with Roeder as permenant manager, but if our only other options were Bruce/DO'L, then we're stuck with Roeder.

I also think the Anal article was a load of crap. It was nothing but pro-Roeder chat and how the club would fall apart if Shearer wasn't there to hold it all together.

Just the job for Glenn

Apr 25 2006

By Alan Oliver, The Evening Chronicle

Newcastle United have decided that Glenn Roeder is the man they want as manager of the club - without the caretaker tag.

But the United board will hold back making any official announcement until they have talked to the Premier League about the fact that the 50-year-old Roeder does not yet have the FIFA Pro-Licence required to enable him to take the job on a permanent basis.

United will ask the Premier League if they will grant special dispensation for Roeder to take the job because of the "extenuating circumstances" as he was halfway through qualifying for the Pro-licence when he was struck down with a brain tumour while he was actually on Premiership duty as West Ham United boss.

I understand that Saturday's victory, the fifth in a row in April, albeit against a poor West Brom side, finally convinced the United board they have to give Roeder his chance.

United insiders tell me Saturday's win was achieved without players who cost £70m if you take into account the transfer and agents fees, yet Roeder was still brave enough to leave £20m of talent on the bench in Jean Alain Boumsong and Albert Luque.

When United opened their offices yesterday morning they found they had been inundated with messages demanding that Roeder be given the job, and Freddy Shepherd knows the support in the dressing room for the caretaker boss could hardly be stronger.

Indeed, Geordie boy Lee Clark today joins Emre, Nobby Solano, Shola Ameobi and Titus Bramble in making public a wish that Roeder be given the job on a full-time basis.

And after the way the adulation poured down from the stands for Alan Shearer in an amazing and emotional 15-minute spell during Saturday's victory, Shepherd knows that there is no way Tyneside's favourite son cannot be involved at the club once he has had his 12-month family break from football.

For if United were to bring in someone like Martin O'Neill and his backroom staff of John Robertson and Steve Walford, it is hard to see how here would be a place for Shearer.

And O'Neill - or any would-be manager for that matter - could be forgiven for always looking over his shoulder at Shearer.

But the respect between Roeder and Shearer is mutual and the pair have already shown they can work together.

Meanwhile, there is a lot of talk in football that with all the Irish money ready to pour into Sunderland, Ulsterman O'Neill is very much in the running to take over at the Stadium of Light.

If United are able to rubber-stamp Roeder's appointment they will be getting two for one. For, unlike a lot of big-name managers, including O'Neill, Roeder is a coach, and don't forget that is why he went to the World Cup in France with Glenn Hoddle in 1998.

Or the fact that at Newcastle he coached a very young and inexperienced bunch of kids into the quarter-finals of the FA Youth Cup.

The betting for the United job has been all over the place, and at the weekend I am told that all the money went on Gerard Houllier. But United are aware that the Frenchman's partnership with Roy Evans did not work at Liverpool.

To his credit, Shepherd has stayed as cool in the boardroom as Roeder has been in the technical area, as the chairman was determined not to make a rash appointment. Clearly he now feels he has found an ideal candidate on his own doorstep.

Shepherd will know that whoever he appoints, the decision will be criticised by some fans, especially those who want a big name.

But there cannot be one Newcastle supporter who doesn't realise what a fantastic job Roeder has done since he took over a demoralised squad from Graeme Souness at the beginning of February.

Jesus Wept!

O'Neill won't take over at Sunderland man. I don't see that club being turned around by anything tbh.

If United are able to rubber-stamp Roeder's appointment they will be getting two for one. For, unlike a lot of big-name managers, including O'Neill, Roeder is a coach, and don't forget that is why he went to the World Cup in France with Glenn Hoddle in 1998.

He talks about it like it's a new concept. Managers.....who can coach! What will those eggheads think of next?!

O'Neill won't take over at Sunderland man.  I don't see that club being turned around by anything tbh.

He talks about it like it's a new concept. Managers.....who can coach! What will those eggheads think of next?!

127298[/snapback]

makes a change from some of our coaches who couldnt coach. mick wadsworth for one ;)

I still think we are going to see a combination of Houllier and Roeder..

127296[/snapback]

I'd be happy with that. But only if Tyneside's Favourite Son has a highest paid manager clause in his contract when he comes back though. Anything else would be disrespectful to the great one.

where did houllier come into it all of a sudden? he won a few cups with liverpool but they played the mosty boring football in the league. zoggy and nobby might as well leave now if hes coming.

127299[/snapback]

Aye, clearly not good enough for us....... ;)

Shite! Would love him here!

where did houllier come into it all of a sudden? he won a few cups with liverpool but they played the mosty boring football in the league. zoggy and nobby might as well leave now if hes coming.

127299[/snapback]

127305[/snapback]

Houllier's Liverpool were the most boring team I'd ever seen, until Souness. Is it too much to ask for exciting football and a cup?

127299[/snapback]

127305[/snapback]

Houllier's Liverpool were the most boring team I'd ever seen, until Souness. Is it too much to ask for exciting football and a cup?

127308[/snapback]

Well whenever I seen them play when Houllier was in charge I thought they were decent enough...

Look at Lyon now, hardly a boring team.

Well whenever I seen them play when Houllier was in charge I thought they were decent enough...

127311[/snapback]

Some would argue that has fuck all to do with Houllier.

I'm gob-smacked you didn't see a boring Liverpool team, I watch a lot of them and to be honest his tactics completely bypassed a decent midfield most of the time.

127311[/snapback]

Some would argue that has fuck all to do with Houllier.

I'm gob-smacked you didn't see a boring Liverpool team, I watch a lot of them and to be honest his tactics completely bypassed a decent midfield most of the time.

127316[/snapback]

Aye they were a bit long ball-ish at times but always think of that 5-4 UEFA Cup win and the Michael Owen cup final win....

And a 2-2 draw we had with them that was an all round cracking game of football.

Aye they were a bit long ball-ish at times but always think of that 5-4 UEFA Cup win and the Michael Owen cup final win....

And a 2-2 draw we had with them that was an all round cracking game of football.

127320[/snapback]

I agree with the 5-4, fantastic game of football, but my memory of the Cup final was that they did fuck all for 85 odd minutes, should have been beaten soundly, should have had a blatant penalty against them, and them Owen nipped in for 2 quick goals, without any decent football being played.

I'm having trouble remembering the 2-2, which makes me look like a closet red. ;)