IT'S ROEDER!

snakehips

Aye they were a bit long ball-ish at times but always think of that 5-4 UEFA Cup win and the Michael Owen cup final win....

And a 2-2 draw we had with them that was an all round cracking game of football.

127320[/snapback]

I agree with the 5-4, fantastic game of football, but my memory of the Cup final was that they did fuck all for 85 odd minutes, should have been beaten soundly, should have had a blatant penalty against them, and them Owen nipped in for 2 quick goals, without any decent football being played.

I'm having trouble remembering the 2-2, which makes me look like a closet red. ;)

127324[/snapback]

They went 1-0 up, Haman I think, then Bobby brought on Robert & Bellamy for their first appearences of the season, we went 2-0 down (Owen penalty) and then a Robert-Bellamy inspired fightback saw us level with goals from Speed and Shearer.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aye they were a bit long ball-ish at times but always think of that 5-4 UEFA Cup win and the Michael Owen cup final win....

And a 2-2 draw we had with them that was an all round cracking game of football.

127320[/snapback]

I agree with the 5-4, fantastic game of football, but my memory of the Cup final was that they did fuck all for 85 odd minutes, should have been beaten soundly, should have had a blatant penalty against them, and them Owen nipped in for 2 quick goals, without any decent football being played.

I'm having trouble remembering the 2-2, which makes me look like a closet red. ;)

127324[/snapback]

They went 1-0 up, Haman I think, then Bobby brought on Robert & Bellamy for their first appearences of the season, we went 2-0 down (Owen penalty) and then a Robert-Bellamy inspired fightback saw us level with goals from Speed and Shearer.

127328[/snapback]

And another 2-2 draw we had with them at home in SBR first season, when Owen scored 2 I think.

Maybe I think positive because our defence was so shite and made the games high scoring?

Yeah remember that match, my memory was that it was a pretty dire affair, although I went mental when we equalised, obviously.

Yeah remember that match, my memory was that it was a pretty dire affair, although I went mental when we equalised, obviously.

127332[/snapback]

We were awful in that game and spawned the draw iirc.

Just the job for Glenn

Apr 25 2006

By Alan Oliver, The Evening Chronicle

Newcastle United have decided that Glenn Roeder is the man they want as manager of the club - without the caretaker tag.

But the United board will hold back making any official announcement until they have talked to the Premier League about the fact that the 50-year-old Roeder does not yet have the FIFA Pro-Licence required to enable him to take the job on a permanent basis.

United will ask the Premier League if they will grant special dispensation for Roeder to take the job because of the "extenuating circumstances" as he was halfway through qualifying for the Pro-licence when he was struck down with a brain tumour while he was actually on Premiership duty as West Ham United boss.

I understand that Saturday's victory, the fifth in a row in April, albeit against a poor West Brom side, finally convinced the United board they have to give Roeder his chance.

United insiders tell me Saturday's win was achieved without players who cost £70m if you take into account the transfer and agents fees, yet Roeder was still brave enough to leave £20m of talent on the bench in Jean Alain Boumsong and Albert Luque.

When United opened their offices yesterday morning they found they had been inundated with messages demanding that Roeder be given the job, and Freddy Shepherd knows the support in the dressing room for the caretaker boss could hardly be stronger.

Indeed, Geordie boy Lee Clark today joins Emre, Nobby Solano, Shola Ameobi and Titus Bramble in making public a wish that Roeder be given the job on a full-time basis.

And after the way the adulation poured down from the stands for Alan Shearer in an amazing and emotional 15-minute spell during Saturday's victory, Shepherd knows that there is no way Tyneside's favourite son cannot be involved at the club once he has had his 12-month family break from football.

For if United were to bring in someone like Martin O'Neill and his backroom staff of John Robertson and Steve Walford, it is hard to see how here would be a place for Shearer.

And O'Neill - or any would-be manager for that matter - could be forgiven for always looking over his shoulder at Shearer.

But the respect between Roeder and Shearer is mutual and the pair have already shown they can work together.

Meanwhile, there is a lot of talk in football that with all the Irish money ready to pour into Sunderland, Ulsterman O'Neill is very much in the running to take over at the Stadium of Light.

If United are able to rubber-stamp Roeder's appointment they will be getting two for one. For, unlike a lot of big-name managers, including O'Neill, Roeder is a coach, and don't forget that is why he went to the World Cup in France with Glenn Hoddle in 1998.

Or the fact that at Newcastle he coached a very young and inexperienced bunch of kids into the quarter-finals of the FA Youth Cup.

The betting for the United job has been all over the place, and at the weekend I am told that all the money went on Gerard Houllier. But United are aware that the Frenchman's partnership with Roy Evans did not work at Liverpool.

To his credit, Shepherd has stayed as cool in the boardroom as Roeder has been in the technical area, as the chairman was determined not to make a rash appointment. Clearly he now feels he has found an ideal candidate on his own doorstep.

Shepherd will know that whoever he appoints, the decision will be criticised by some fans, especially those who want a big name.

But there cannot be one Newcastle supporter who doesn't realise what a fantastic job Roeder has done since he took over a demoralised squad from Graeme Souness at the beginning of February.

Jesus Wept!

127291[/snapback]

So a few letters on the doormat have prevailed over a website with 10,000 backing it? ;)

127320[/snapback]

127324[/snapback]

Well, if my memory serves me correct my Liverpool-loving Irish mate showed me a fake police report a couple of days later, that looked something like "Theft of silverware in Cardiff, young Scouser accused of nicking a cup" or something like that.

So a few letters on the doormat have prevailed over a website with 10,000 backing it? ;)

127335[/snapback]

I don't believe that for a second btw. The sort of people who would write to the club specifying who they want as new manager are the sort of people who don't know how to write.

127335[/snapback]

I don't believe that for a second btw. The sort of people who would write to the club specifying who they want as new manager are the sort of people who don't know how to write.

127338[/snapback]

I don't believe it either but I wonder if it's a sly dig from Oliver in response to his inbox being spammed the other month! ;)

I don't really buy that argument, because the fact is that we don't have the players to compete with Man U, Liverpool or Chelsea.  And that's not Roeder's fault.  Yes, they could have competed better on the day, but it's a long term thing getting us back on a par with that lot.

127264[/snapback]

The Ramage mistake at Old Trafford could not be accounted for, it shattered the confidence of a team who were trying to recover from Souness, and overall Roeder's done that very well. He's also picked them up very well after 4 straight defeats. As regards weak only beating weak opposition - Spurs & Bolton certainly aren't. But the game against Chelsea was woeful. We played badly against a shite, nervous Chelsea and basically couldn't create a chance. Roeder was outfoxed(?) by a coach who's not nearly as tactically savvy as people give him credit for.

We were also a bag of shite against the mackems for an hour. And the awfulness of the Charlton game counts against. His tactical nouse may be better than Souness but it's not top notch but he can seem to organise players and play people in their proper positions.

Edited by geordieshandy

All I say is, I like the bloke and hope he stays on it some capacity, but he is the safe option. We could do better, although I think he'll be appointed on the fact our board for whatever reason look like they might have fucked up attracting a top manager once again.

We were also a bag of shite against the mackems for an hour.  And the awfulness of the Charlton game counts against.  His tactical nouse may be better than Souness but it's not top notch but he can seem to organise players and play people in their proper positions.

127356[/snapback]

Proper positions are for binmen tbh.

houllier was a fan of the 4CM midfield. be the fans here would love that!

127372[/snapback]

He did try to get the likes of Duff and Kewell in to solve that problem, maybe he wasn't concerned enough about it.

So is anyone going down to SJP to make a tit of themselves on national TV when this is officially announced?

"Aye. Wuh ganna win the leeg noo lyk. Champions leeg next season lyk. Nee bovvaaaaaaAAAHAWAYGLENNGERRINTHEREMAAAAAN!!!"

etc.

So is anyone going down to SJP to make a tit of themselves on national TV when this is officially announced?

"Aye.  Wuh ganna win the leeg noo lyk.  Champions leeg next season lyk.  Nee bovvaaaaaaAAAHAWAYGLENNGERRINTHEREMAAAAAN!!!"

etc.

127383[/snapback]

I just did.

There was neeone there though.

"Aye.  Wuh ganna win the leeg noo lyk.  Champions leeg next season lyk.  Nee bovvaaaaaaAAAHAWAYGLENNGERRINTHEREMAAAAAN!!!"

etc.

127383[/snapback]

I just did.

127384[/snapback]

Amateur charv tbh. ;)

etc.

127383[/snapback]

LMAO!!! exact!! ;)

etc.

127383[/snapback]

I just did.

127384[/snapback]

Amateur charv tbh. ;)

127390[/snapback]

Haven't had your years of practise tbh

I've noticed that every time a media source says it's a certain manager (Moyes, Roeder, etc) Shepherd comes out with the same statement...however he's never mentioned anything about whether or not Mancini has been offered that €3.5m contract mentioned in the Gazzetta dello Sport.

I've noticed that every time a media source says it's a certain manager (Moyes, Roeder, etc) Shepherd comes out with the same statement...however he's never mentioned anything about whether or not Mancini has been offered that €3.5m contract mentioned in the Gazzetta dello Sport.

127403[/snapback]

Probably has no idea that that report exists tbh. He barely speaks English never mind Italian.

etc.

127383[/snapback]

You do that far too well ;)

Still nothing concrete then? Freddie's havin' one hell of a lunch break today! Must be some fresh meat on at FYEO.