Our Single Biggest Problem

Gemmill

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As long as we've got these two wellying balls long and relinquishing posession, we're going to struggle............. booting the ball long to a lad standing at 5ft7 up front goes beyond moronic.

186059[/snapback]

Oh dear Mr. Gemmell I think I'm going mental <_<

The last time we won the Big League I don't think wee Hughie Gallagher was even 5ft7 and it was a long-ball game. Left & right fullbacks, centre half-backs, were expected to welly the ball down field, clear the line and not ponse around. Centre-forwards were fed on a diet of long balls albeit they were NEVER alone up front.

I'm old-fashioned by way of thinking that 5 forwards was not a bad thing when the defense were wellying long balls.

I'm not advocating the long ball nor am I advocating 5 forwards, but I'm never happy if we have less than 3 forwards on the field at the same time. ;)

As long as we've got these two wellying balls long and relinquishing posession, we're going to struggle............. booting the ball long to a lad standing at 5ft7 up front goes beyond moronic.

186059[/snapback]

Oh dear Mr. Gemmell I think I'm going mental ;)

The last time we won the Big League I don't think wee Hughie Gallagher was even 5ft7 and it was a long-ball game. Left & right fullbacks, centre half-backs, were expected to welly the ball down field, clear the line and not ponse around. Centre-forwards were fed on a diet of long balls albeit they were NEVER alone up front.

I'm old-fashioned by way of thinking that 5 forwards was not a bad thing when the defense were wellying long balls.

I'm not advocating the long ball nor am I advocating 5 forwards, but I'm never happy if we have less than 3 forwards on the field at the same time. ;)

186160[/snapback]

I think the game might have moved on slightly since the days of 4-2-4 and Hughie Gallagher, Noelie. <_<

186059[/snapback]

Oh dear Mr. Gemmell I think I'm going mental ;)

186160[/snapback]

I think the game might have moved on slightly since the days of 4-2-4 and Hughie Gallagher, Noelie. <_<

186201[/snapback]

It were 2-3-5 in them days Mr. Gemmel, not 4-2-4. our 6 FA Cup Final wins were with 2-3-5 and there were NO substitutes so no decision making changes to be made.

Oh. wee Hughie was before my time but I did play against him once when he turned out for 'Huwoods' on the Team Valley Trading Estate where he was working.

Is the distribution of Bramble and Given IMO.  As long as we've got these two wellying balls long and relinquishing posession, we're going to struggle.  Bramble booting the ball long to a lad standing at 5ft7 up front goes beyond moronic.  It beggars belief that no one is having words with him.

At training on Monday morning I'd be standing Martins next to Taylor and asking Bramble who he thinks is favourite in the air.  When he answers Taylor I'll ask the silly fucker why he insisted on trying to hit long balls to Martins all bastard day today.  :rolleyes:   The lad is fucking braindead.

186059[/snapback]

you heard it here first, as usual

http://z3.invisionfree.com/NUFCforum/index...?showtopic=2019

186084[/snapback]

I think the moaning about Bramble's and Given's hoofing antics is as old as the internet tbh. I do it every week...

186090[/snapback]

it was just a shameless plug for a dodgy board tbh.

186091[/snapback]

This was the best shameless plug ever: http://www.toontastic.net/forum/index.php?...ndpost&p=178356

:D

186096[/snapback]

Just providing a service :lol:

Now run along, the Hoff wants his hoop cleaned

Any chance of stopping posting in BLUE, it does my eyes in.

186261[/snapback]

Would you prefer purple or green dear boy? :lol:

186341[/snapback]

just so long as its not red, no self respecting NUFC fan uses red anywhere

Aye, well spotted Leazes, no one had noticed either Bramble's or Given's poor distribution until a week ago :lol:

Gemmill knows my Bramble / Forrest Gump theory from old btw :D

Lad I sit near has a theory that Bramble has terrible eye sight, but hasn't got the bottle to tell anyone. Mentioned it again last week because he crashed his car.

Edited by sweetleftpeg

Lad I sit near has a theory that Bramble has terrible eye sight, but hasn't got the bottle to tell anyone. Mentioned it again last week because he crashed his car.

186539[/snapback]

He just loves watching the ball fly through the air when he pings those cross field balls. Proximity to team mates is an irrelevance :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

So was it just coincidence that without braindead Bramble's longball buffoonery to drag us down, we played some nice football on the deck and were able to keep a hold of the ball a lot better yesterday? I only saw the 50 minutes or so of highlights on Football First, but it seemed to make a big difference to me.

So was it just coincidence that without braindead Bramble's longball buffoonery to drag us down, we played some nice football on the deck and were able to keep a hold of the ball a lot better yesterday? I only saw the 50 minutes or so of highlights on Football First, but it seemed to make a big difference to me.

I watched the whole game on an Arab channel and there was a huge difference.

It was noticable as soon as Bramble went off on Thursday. He has more passing ability than any of our other defenders but far too often he just chooses the big punt. The others tend to play it simple a lot more which means they allow our midfielders to get the ball and use it.

He really does seem to think he's Franz Beckenbauer or something. Quite why his managers and coaches (seemingly) haven't told him to stop it is a mystery to me.

They probably have, just after they told him to mark players at corners :lol: