Given's Injury

Jigsaw's Juggernaut

Back playing in goal in 3-4 weeks after breaking ribs? Is that feasible?

I cracked a couple of ribs about 4 months ago and the pain had gone within 2½ weeks and I played football again within 3 weeks..

Rolling pin ?

:lol:

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cracked a couple of ribs about 4 months ago and the pain had gone within 2½ weeks and I played football again within 3 weeks..

Rolling pin ?

:D

Not this time - nope, this was actually a footballing injury :(

Fall off your broomstick whilst playing Quidditch?

NEWCASTLE United goalkeeper Shay Given was taken to hospital in London on Sunday evening after suffering from acute abdominal pain caused by a collision with Marlon Harewood in the latter stages of the 2-0 victory over West Ham at Upton Park.

The brilliant Irish international - who on Thursday was crowned as the North East Football Writers' 2006 Player of the Year - looked to be in some discomfort as he was stretchered from the field.

Rather than fly back with his Magpies colleagues, Shay was kept down in London to be checked out. Club Doctor Roddy McDonald stayed with Shay.

Glenn Roeder said afterwards: "It was a nasty collision, but it was one of those things that happens in games and it certainly wasn't intentional.

"We left Shay in London to be checked over, and we hope he will be OK. He was in quite a bit of discomfort after the game, to the point where he was struggling to breathe, and we wish him well."

I like this part of the Glenn quote....

to the point where he was struggling to breathe, and we wish him well."

Glenn: "Oh he cant breathe? well I wish him well with that, hope it all goes ok"

emmm Glenn, breathings quite an important part of survival mate....

I like this part of the Glenn quote....

to the point where he was struggling to breathe, and we wish him well."

Glenn: "Oh he cant breathe? well I wish him well with that, hope it all goes ok"

emmm Glenn, breathings quite an important part of survival mate....

"...but I told him it wasn't like he had a brain tumour or something, the big girl."

SHAY Given will remain in hospital for "a short stay" after undergoing surgery to repair a small tear in his lower stomach suffered during yesterday's 2-0 victory at West Ham United.

The Irishman spent a comfortable night in a London hospital after receiving treatment following his collision with Hammers' striker Marlon Harewood in the latter stages of the victory at Upton Park.

Manager Glenn Roeder told nufc.co.uk: "Shay has had surgery to repair a small tear in his lower stomach.

"He is comfortable and will have a short stay in hospital.

"We'll let things settle down now and it's too early to be putting any date on when he'll be expected back."

United have a double Mersey mission looming, with Wednesday's trip to Liverpool followed by Everton's visit to St. James' Park on Sunday.

Steve Harper deputised for Given in the closing moments at West Ham and boss Roeder knows he his long-standing back-up keeper will be ready to answer any call-up.

Shame for Seamus, good for Harper. Harper's not as good as Given, but he's a pretty handy deputy and I've got no worries at all about him coming in. Liverpool should certainly give him plenty opportunity to get match practice on Wednesday night. :lol:

I think we'll really miss Given. Harper hasn't played regular first-team football for how long, six years?

Even more reason to drop Bramble tbh.

I think we'll really miss Given. Harper hasn't played regular first-team football for how long, six years?

I'll be paying close attention to his distribution.

I'll be paying close attention to his distribution.

I'll be paying close attention to him keeping the ball out of the back of the net, anything else is a welcome bonus.

I'll be paying close attention to him keeping the ball out of the back of the net, anything else is a welcome bonus.

It's Liverpool on Wednesday, there'll be scant opportunity for that. :lol:

It's Liverpool on Wednesday, there'll be scant opportunity for that. :lol:

Sad but true.

He shouldnt be such a big heavy twat then should he!

Oddly enough, we were looking up the weights of players at half time, and Harewood was one of them. One site had him listed as 10 stone, another around 13 stone. I'm guessing the latter is closer, his cranium's got to weigh the best part of 10 stone.

Frank Lampard is nearly 14 stone! :lol:

He shouldnt be such a big heavy twat then should he!

Oddly enough, we were looking up the weights of players at half time, and Harewood was one of them. One site had him listed as 10 stone, another around 13 stone. I'm guessing the latter is closer, his cranium's got to weigh the best part of 10 stone.

Frank Lampard is nearly 14 stone! :lol:

Muscle :D