What are you listening to ?

Jimbo

I like the Black Keys. Didn't really give the first few albums a go, but the last album was superb, and went back to all the old stuff. Always seen them as a quality little band the rock crowd and the hipster crowd could like, unllike Kings of Leon who got too MOR & popular and alienated those who are too cool for school.

Surprised to see how many of their songs are amongst the most popular on Grooveshark though, rubbing shoulders with Rihanna, Lady Gaga and LMFAO.

Have you heard the Black Joe Lewis & The Honeybears album? Fucking champion too.

Was it Brother, their last one? Didn't realise they had a new one out (coming out?), will have to have a listen to that, quite like this track.

That first Weeknd mixtape. Man, I think this might be the best release of 2011, it's my favourite, I think. Ridiculously well put together RNB, great production, great hooks, nice drum machines, enough colourful instrumentation when needed. The second one really peaks with The Birds but the first one just goes from strength to strength. I've been coming back to this for a couple of months now. PJ Harvey singing about the atrocities of war with an auto harp may be enjoyable but there's something about this kid talking about wet fannies and shagging that works ridiculously well with his tunes.

Gotye's tune is the best track of the year though, hands down. There's no way that lot can top that single because the album's not much cop and there's no precedent for them writing a song that good. Every crap poet has one good poem though, I suppose.

I'd recommend "Heart's a Mess" from his first album though. Ironically i didn't rate his first album that much, overall, but that track was class.

Their best track, and one of the greatest songs of all time. I don't hear it often these days, as there is alot of random stuff on mp3 player in the car, and my drive to work is usually 30mins top, so the window of opportunity to actually listen to it is pretty narrow. That opening riff & first minute brings a smile to your face every time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cqg_ZGcuybs

.... and a nice cover, although it's a hard task to screw this track up.

one of my favourite songs of all time

I like the Black Keys. Didn't really give the first few albums a go, but the last album was superb, and went back to all the old stuff. Always seen them as a quality little band the rock crowd and the hipster crowd could like, unllike Kings of Leon who got too MOR & popular and alienated those who are too cool for school.

Surprised to see how many of their songs are amongst the most popular on Grooveshark though, rubbing shoulders with Rihanna, Lady Gaga and LMFAO.

Have you heard the Black Joe Lewis & The Honeybears album? Fucking champion too.

yes as you said they are popular on that site as they are massive in America (arctic monkeys are supporting them on their US tour) and are starting to get big here (UK tour nearly sold out)

going to see them in February, really chilled band

Edited by Idioteque

The new Weeknd album is meant to be released next week.

Another freebie?

Speaking of which, everyone got the free Frank Ocean mixtape?

http://soulhead.wordpress.com/2011/08/04/frank-ocean-nostalgia-ultra-mixtape-free-download-mp3/

and the Big KRIT one....

http://www.returnof4eva.com/

There's plenty of them out there but these two are both appearing on end of year lists :)

A lad at work today was saying how great Pearl Jam were.....I said I could name 5 better American bands from the early nineties who were better....these are what I came uo with....Pearl Jam did one decent song, Alive, and that was fuckin it iyam.

Pulled some CDs off the shelf at random to give a listen.

The Stands: Horse Fabulous - Think I've mentioned them before but Liverpool band from the mid-2000s who were severely underrated. Great hooks, good playing, lots of variety all through the album. Didn't get popular in 2005 because it brought up memories of 60s pop rather than Gang of Four. Well recommended if you like The Kinks, Paul Simon, Beatles and anything from that era really.

The Clash - Sandinista - I forgot that this is a bit of a slog. Reckon I'll get 20 tracks in like usual and never bother with the rest. Clash had an immense rhythm section.