Organ Donation

catmag

I know we've done this topic before but I thought I would re-advertise the fact that there is a MASSIVE shortage of organs needed for donation in this country. I've been part of an organ retrieval here at work tonight where a 29 year-old man who had a brain haemmorhage a couple of days ago was pronounced clinically brain-dead earlier today. His parents gave permission for us to retrieve some of his organs for donation to others and that took place this evening.

Do people still carry donor cards or is anyone registered on the offical organ donor register? It's still the case in this country that no matter what your personal wishes, it will ultimately be the decision of your loved ones as to whether your organs are donated, but if you are registered then the transplant team can make reference to this in discussions with the family and consent is more likely to be given.

If anyone is willing to become registered as a donor it literally takes one minute to fill in the form, and it's Here

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Registered online a few months ago.

I think we should follow other countries and make people opt out rather than in. The obsession with remains and funerals mystifies me.

I registered the last time this thread came up. Good to see that now your next of kin can't stop the harvesting if it is clear that it was your wish to be a donor.

Isn't that contrary to what Catmag has just said?

I gave blood a couple of times years ago and then got a letter saying they didn't want it anymore. I told my Mam it must have been off my preventative Asthma inhaler. But seen as I never took that I think it was from taking something else. Does this mean they wouldn't want my heart though?

I gave blood a couple of times years ago and then got a letter saying they didn't want it anymore. I told my Mam it must have been off my preventative Asthma inhaler. But seen as I never took that I think it was from taking something else. Does this mean they wouldn't want my heart though?

:blink:

Sorry, shouldn't laugh, but the thought of you getting a snobby letter telling you your blood is too drugged-up is pretty funny. I'm guessing about your organs, but if they are in good working condition I reckon they'd lob them out.

I've registered btw, I presume this means I don't need a card?

I registered the last time this thread came up. Good to see that now your next of kin can't stop the harvesting if it is clear that it was your wish to be a donor.

Isn't that contrary to what Catmag has just said?

Your next of kin CAN stop the retrieval, but are less likely to do so if you're on the register. No surgeon is going to go ahead with organ retrieval if a patients family are stood there saying that they refuse permission to do so.

And no, if you're registered you don't need a card. If the situation arises where you could be considered as a donor then the transplant team will check the register to see if your wishes are there.

Not necessarily. As long as it's healthy and viable for transplant, they could still use it along with liver, kidneys, pancreas, lungs, corneas and even bowel, skin and bones these days.

No but I've read about it if it's the one I'm thinking of (and seen the pictures) - the French lass (iirc) who had her face eaten by her own dog. Hadn't she taken an overdoes too? Now that is a shitty day.

No but I've read about it if it's the one I'm thinking of (and seen the pictures) - the French lass (iirc) who had her face eaten by her own dog. Hadn't she taken an overdoes too? Now that is a shitty day.

That's the one. She looked like Skeletor :blink:

Amazing what they can do. I guess with major organs it's one pipe in and one pipe out, hook them up and you're away, but the face has so many blood vessels running through it, she's even getting feeling back. How do they get your brain responding to nerve endings in someone elses face?

Marvellous.

Amazing what they can do. I guess with major organs it's one pipe in and one pipe out, hook them up and you're away, but the face has so many blood vessels running through it, she's even getting feeling back. How do they get your brain responding to nerve endings in someone elses face?

Marvellous.

Not sure how the process works but i guess its like any form or aterial reperfusion (basically your body grows new bllod vessels to connect areas of the body that need blood).

The issue is the immunosuppressant drugs which she needs to stop the body rejecting the foreign body. These will reduce her life expectancy by 10 to 20 years as they increase the risk of cancer (think about it).

Basically they traded off years of life for quality of life in quite a transparent way. They have had to justify this ethically to those who didnt think they should deliverately decrease her life expectancy.

Marvellous.

Not sure how the process works but i guess its like any form or aterial reperfusion (basically your body grows new bllod vessels to connect areas of the body that need blood).

The issue is the immunosuppressant drugs which she needs to stop the body rejecting the foreign body. These will reduce her life expectancy by 10 to 20 years as they increase the risk of cancer (think about it).

Basically they traded off years of life for quality of life in quite a transparent way. They have had to justify this ethically to those who didnt think they should deliverately decrease her life expectancy.

Didn't see the program, but although immunosuppressants are quite toxic, I have never heard they significantly increase the risk of cancer, let alone that this risk could be so accurately quantified. Is this what they claimed? It would have massive implications for all sorts of donor recipients as well as people like myself who have been offered it for severe allergic illnesses.

Actually, having just checked product literature, there is no mention of this as an adverse effect of ciclosporin.

Marvellous.

Didn't see the program, but although immunosuppressants are quite toxic, I have never heard they significantly increase the risk of cancer, let alone that this risk could be so accurately quantified. Is this what they claimed? It would have massive implications for all sorts of donor recipients as well as people like myself who have been offered it for severe allergic illnesses.

Actually, having just checked product literature, there is no mention of this as an adverse effect of ciclosporin.

It was the article in the press yesterday saying it could knock 10 to 20 years off her life and that they increase cancer risk. It makes sense though doesnt it? The drug reduces the bodies ability to get rid of foreign bodies, like cancer cells?

If there is no direct data with the type of immunosuppresant and a cancer study it wont be in the 'data sheet'. Doesnt mean there is no evidence to link them.

I've been signed up for a while.

Got my first appointment to give blood next week as well (finally) and I'm also looking into donating bone marrow. It's about time I got off my arse and got round to it.

Friend of mine went through bone marrow donation. It's not the best of things to go through to be honest, she was canny unwell and felt like shite for a while, but her bone marrow went to a little girl and that thought kept her going.

Friend of mine went through bone marrow donation. It's not the best of things to go through to be honest, she was canny unwell and felt like shite for a while, but her bone marrow went to a little girl and that thought kept her going.

Aye, I've heard it's a pretty unpleasant experience but I know I would be grateful if I was in a position where I needed to receive a donation and somebody was willing, so just trying to concentrate on that.

Aye, I've heard it's a pretty unpleasant experience but I know I would be grateful if I was in a position where I needed to receive a donation and somebody was willing, so just trying to concentrate on that.

Do they do bone marrow donations on spec? Wouldn't it make more sense to put your details on a database and call you if there's a match? :blink: