Newcastle United v Fenerbahce, UEFA Cup

Gemmill

Guest Patrokles

Zoggy was very very disappointing. The one thing he always gave us up until recently was at least a few decent balls into the box. This is completely lacking from his game right now. Same for Milner.

I was watching the game with an American girl who knows hardly anything about football. She was like 'it all falls apart right at the end bits.' Yes, yes it does.

Roeder appeared verbal and animated for those who think this makes a useful manager.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The defence kept quiet Alex and Tuncay quite well I thought, but it's not every day you get the luxury of defending against Mateja Kezman up front alone. Still. Ramage was excellent, and was also impressed with his marshalling too, with his lack of experience in his true position. Duff also had the sort of game you'd be pleased with from any left-back.

Guest Patrokles

Well as Isegrim said its job done but we didn't play well and i haven't enjoyed watching a game at St. James in ages.

A word for Sibierski though. He was obviously a last minute panic buy, but when he's played he does a job and everythign that's asked of him. He offers a physical presence up front, fights for headers and takes a battering. He is pretty neat and tidy with his distribution and flick ons and he's scored 2 match winners. Obviously he isn't a world beater but i think he's done what's been asked of him pretty well.

More crap decision making in tonights match when Milner had spent the first half crossing terribly in his correct position with his stronger right foot so Roeder takes of Zog (a natural left winger) to stick Milner out of position there where he predictably spent his time cutting inside and dragging the ball onto his right foot to wasteyet more crosses.

Its a basic of football that you play people in their correct position where you, they and the team benefit the most, unless you have no choice, its so simple!

Even more humbling then, when Milner does more in 20 minutes out of position than N'Zogbia did in his natural one. The fact is, we needed Solano on. Milner gives us a high work-rate that N'Zogbia doesn't. Charlie was far, far from his best. Milner was not crossing particularly well, but played well otherwise. I have to disagree with your assessment.

In the first half it looked like the whole team were being bullied, without anyone standing up to them. Think about the hardmen we've had over the years. Bowyer (thug) is an exception.

We really needed someone in the Shearer/Kilcline mould tonight to give them something to think about.

Sometimes Parker is a bit too nice to be a captain.

Guest Patrokles

This is crazy but I just got really strange deja vu reading page three of this thread and if I recall my premonition correctly, it led to Matt hating me for dissing Zoggy, and we never recovered our good mutual respect.

HARPER 6.0 - Not alot to do - assumed he had a dodge hip with Ramage taking his kciks late on

DUFF 7.0 - Was getting into space but we wernt using it, done ok at LB

TAYLOR 7.0 - Unlucky not to score, done ok at the back.

RAMAGE 7.0 - As Taylor - done ok

CAR 6.0 - Like to have seen him use space better, but done ok going back

MILNER 6.0 - Done well getting behind them maybe once / twice - other wise "ok"

PARKER - 6.0 - Quiet first half, allowed to go forward more when Butt came on

EMRE 6.0 - Never seemed to get into the game

ZOGGY 7.0 - Couple of good runs but was crowded out often

MARTINS 6.0 - Too static when ball comes to him

SIB 7.0 - Worked hard up front, held up and won stuff in the air

Subs

But - 7.0 - tightened up the centre

Ameobi - 6.0 - Never really got going

Nobby 5.0 - I think his first 6-7 passes where awful esp by his usual standard

-------------------------------------------------------------

Overall I was disappointed. They were poor compared to how I thought they would be and a beter side would have made more of the chances we gave them at the back at times - certainly in the 2nd half when I could see better!

Going forward we lacked urgency at times and wernt exploiting space to run for the ball or to pull a oppo away. Also didnt see the point at the end of loading our box fully and not leaving on in the centre (thereby needing two of them to mark).

Please with the result, fortunate against a poor side.

Well as Isegrim said its job done but we didn't play well and i haven't enjoyed watching a game at St. James in ages.

A word for Sibierski though. He was obviously a last minute panic buy, but when he's played he does a job and everythign that's asked of him. He offers a physical presence up front, fights for headers and takes a battering. He is pretty neat and tidy with his distribution and flick ons and he's scored 2 match winners. Obviously he isn't a world beater but i think he's done what's been asked of him pretty well.

More crap decision making in tonights match when Milner had spent the first half crossing terribly in his correct position with his stronger right foot so Roeder takes of Zog (a natural left winger) to stick Milner out of position there where he predictably spent his time cutting inside and dragging the ball onto his right foot to wasteyet more crosses.

Its a basic of football that you play people in their correct position where you, they and the team benefit the most, unless you have no choice, its so simple!

Even more humbling then, when Milner does more in 20 minutes out of position than N'Zogbia did in his natural one. The fact is, we needed Solano on. Milner gives us a high work-rate that N'Zogbia doesn't. Charlie was far, far from his best. Milner was not crossing particularly well, but played well otherwise. I have to disagree with your assessment.

Milner failed to put one decent ball in from the left so he hardly did more than Zog who was actually coming into the game when he was taken off. But the point is Milner, like Ramage and pretty much all right footers who aren't especially gifted footballers struggle when stuck on the left and have to drag the ball back onto their right and cut inside. The defender knows this and there crosses are invariably slow and easy to defend as they come in from the wrong angle. Its so basic to play people in their position, there is just no need for wasting players on the left when the blatantly struggle there.

I agree we needed Nobby on to try and play some football, though irnoically his passing was shite from the moment he came on! But whilst i agree Milner works hard Zog does as well.

And i agree Milner was playing well except for crossing, unfortunately his crossing was abysmal and thus he created nothing despite having several golden opportunites under no pressure to set up chances and as a winger its not much use playing well then priducing absolutely no end product.

Guest Patrokles

What I was hoping for after recent times and given Roeder's suggestion that he'd work on it, was a far better defensive performance, which we got today. You have to build from the back, so I'm relatively pleased. I'd rather 1-0 than 2-1 with another mistake from the defence.

Guest Patrokles

Milner failed to put one decent ball in from the left so he hardly did more than Zog who was actually coming into the game when he was taken off. But the point is Milner, like Ramage and pretty much all right footers who aren't especially gifted footballers struggle when stuck on the left and have to drag the ball back onto their right and cut inside. The defender knows this and there crosses are invariably slow and easy to defend as they come in from the wrong angle. Its so basic to play people in their position, there is just no need for wasting players on the left when the blatantly struggle there.

I agree we needed Nobby on to try and play some football, though irnoically his passing was shite from the moment he came on! But whilst i agree Milner works hard Zog does as well.

And i agree Milner was playing well except for crossing, unfortunately his crossing was abysmal and thus he created nothing despite having several golden opportunites under no pressure to set up chances and as a winger its not much use playing well then priducing absolutely no end product.

I'd agree with that but neither winger did it, really. That's the most disappointing aspect of our game at the moment; Roeder likes to play with width, but neither are putting in any quality whatsoever. If we had Pennant or Lennon and Robert in his prime, I think we'd see a very different complexion to things. The fact is, we're getting in the positions to deliver, we get in them a lot. But we never do.

I thought it was a good performance against a side who looked threatening going forward.

Duff was good at LB, but I'd like to see Bernard there when fit.

Milner started well, but was becoming somewhat of a liability towards the end. Improved when he switched to the left though.

Zoggy was a little frustrating, but I thought on the whole he did well and that Milner should've been the one to come off.

Emre was playing well until he went off. I didn't see a single pass go astray. Shame he got injured.

Sibierski impressed me I must admit, but he's incredibly slow on the ball. But his worth ethic was top notch.

I'm pleased we have the 3 points, and our defense didn't look shaky at all. Whether it will be unchanged for Boro where it will be under greater scrutiny, is yet to be seen. But a win is a good morale-booster.

Well I am an old optimist but I thought wasnt too bad a performance. I thought Carr did well, Ramage is a much better CH than LB,we stuck to the task and got a win. It wasnt particularly pretty but it was a lot less ugly than I feared

Fernebache seemed technically very good and it was amatch we could easily of lost, not a bad evenings work

My liking for the Sib increased again

don;t know why your all rating milner so badly i thought he was one of our better players that game

No end-product at all though.

I think tonights match was a step in the right direction, whilst not worth hanging out the bunting for, but still worth respecting a clean sheet in europe and hopefully the performance of the Ramage/Taylor partnership will show that it is worth proceeding with rather than using Bramble.

MILNER 2 for me.

Spent all the second half giving the ball to Fener players... so infuriating!

Same old same old from him, beats one players sometimes three then either loses stupidly by pushing it too far, or passing it straight to the opposition, or of his special goal kick cross.

He's basically the same player we had two years ago. What Solano doesnt have in pace he makes up for with a brain.

It was so frustrating to see James 'Hit and Hope' Milner effortlessly glide past players and get himself into good postions; only to watch his graceless toe-punts ricocheting off the first defender.

Also annoying was Carr's uncanny ability to turn a five-yard head start into a 50/50. When he 'ran' towards a loose ball, it was like watching an old man hitch up the legs of his trousers and paddle into the sea

Edited by Sicklee Sausage Roll

Thought Milner did well myself. Nothing came off for him...but if he was a bit luckier could have been a 10.

Rambo was superb at CB. Faultless. Much better than the "golden boy".

Though Sib was shit but got a goal. He jus doesn't attack any headers in the box. Is centre forward his natiural position? Genuine question btw.

Guest Patrokles

Thought Milner did well myself. Nothing came off for him...but if he was a bit luckier could have been a 10.

Rambo was superb at CB. Faultless. Much better than the "golden boy".

Though Sib was shit but got a goal. He jus doesn't attack any headers in the box. Is centre forward his natiural position? Genuine question btw.

It's not, no.

And he didn't have much to attack, in all fairness.

and it was nice to see some:

"control - pass/lay off" for once instead of the usual "control - bobble - control - control - bobble - bounce - control - possession lost/offside"

I take it thats a dig at (9 starts 5 goals) shola? :)

Edited by Holden McGroin

and it was nice to see some:

"control - pass/lay off" for once instead of the usual "control - bobble - control - control - bobble - bounce - control - possession lost/offside"

I agree. I think that's only because they were giving us time on the ball when we we're pushing forward, everyone seemed to be composed and didn't panic at all, be a different story against Boro though.