Toon eye up Nugent

Scottish Mag

FFS If we get Davies thats just use prepering for the Championship :lol:

Him & Martins would be a great partnership, in my opinion.

In the Championship?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Patrokles

Your optimism knows no bounds if your expecting anything great from Martins after what we have seen so far!

I meant the partnership rather than the individuals.

Your optimism knows no bounds if your expecting anything great from Martins after what we have seen so far!

While theorectically I understand where you're coming from, I still think expecting greatness from anything Martins is involved in is extremely optimistic.

Thats the problem we have now. Nobody is working in a team, so even if we did get him the "partnership" wouldnt exist!

Roeder denies Upson interest

By Alex Livie - Created on 30 Oct 2006

Newcastle United boss Glenn Roeder has denied an interest in Birmingham City defender Matthew Upson.

The Magpies boss is eager to bolster his defensive options in January, having missed out on targets Jonathan Woodgate and Robert Huth in the summer, and he has been linked with a number of centre halves in recent weeks.

Upson, even though he is still on the comeback trail following an Achilles injury, was linked recently, but he would not appear to be on Roeder's New Year shopping list.

"Matthew Upson is not a player we are interested in," Roeder told the Newcastle Evening Chronicle.

Roeder's striking options are also thin on the ground, with Obafemi Martins set to be sidelined for a fortnight with a hamstring injury, and he admits he will have to soldier on until January.

"There are no superstars waiting around the corner to come in and help us," added Roeder. "If players are out of contract and have not been snapped up by some club, there is obviously a reason for this."

Another potential target crossed off the list then...

Newcastle United boss Glenn Roeder has denied an interest in Birmingham City defender Matthew Upson.

The Magpies boss is eager to bolster his defensive options in January, having missed out on targets Jonathan Woodgate and Robert Huth in the summer, and he has been linked with a number of centre halves in recent weeks.

Upson, even though he is still on the comeback trail following an Achilles injury, was linked recently, but he would not appear to be on Roeder's New Year shopping list.

"Matthew Upson is not a player we are interested in," Roeder told the Newcastle Evening Chronicle.

Roeder's striking options are also thin on the ground, with Obafemi Martins set to be sidelined for a fortnight with a hamstring injury, and he admits he will have to soldier on until January.

"There are no superstars waiting around the corner to come in and help us," added Roeder. "If players are out of contract and have not been snapped up by some club, there is obviously a reason for this."

Dont rate him very highly personally. VERY slow.

Aye, like bernard...

• 4 months later...

we should have got nugent in the last transfer window. looks a good player. i hope we get him

Said on Saturday (hindsight-tastic) Healy and Nugent would have been a canny bit better than £10million on Martins. Even if the latter comes good he was/is a luxury we couldn't afford, i.e. spukning all our dosh on a player who will need time to settle in.

Just like Leazes me :);)

Nugent's price-tag just went up ten fold though....

£50m?? D'you reckon? :)

That's pedantry you would be proud of, Craig. ;)

Indeed :)

Aye, think I read the other day that with Shola back, Owen, Martins & Sib GR see's us as being well covered up front for next season.

Right.

Aye, think I read the other day that with Shola back, Owen, Martins & Sib GR see's us as being well covered up front for next season.

Right.

If the money is there and Liverpool want to sell Roeder will go for Crouch IMO.

Someone's just told me Nugent is out of contract in the summer but any club wanting to sign him will have to pay compensation to Preston, is this right? Surely he'd be worth a punt for a couple of mil or whatever the compo would be (doubt it'd be much)? He looks like a poacher as much as anything which is what every team needs, some of the best strikers in the world are the ones who nick the goals inside the box... not that I'm saying he's one of the best in the world like but it's worth considering.

He's going to Everton apparently.

I guess with him being a scouser it figures, still if he goes to the scouse mackems I wonder if we'll go for Beattie or one of their other strikers...

I guess with him being a scouser it figures, still if he goes to the scouse mackems I wonder if we'll go for Beattie or one of their other strikers...

I would have thought Beattie coming here was more than plausible.

Guest Patrokles

Someone's just told me Nugent is out of contract in the summer but any club wanting to sign him will have to pay compensation to Preston, is this right? Surely he'd be worth a punt for a couple of mil or whatever the compo would be (doubt it'd be much)? He looks like a poacher as much as anything which is what every team needs, some of the best strikers in the world are the ones who nick the goals inside the box... not that I'm saying he's one of the best in the world like but it's worth considering.

Michael Owen?

I would have thought Beattie coming here was more than plausible.

I fucking hope not. Hes slower than sibierski! He had one good season 4 or 5 years ago. It stuns me that people still want him.