Is anyone that bothered about the result tonight?

Gemmill

Fantastic result - I never doubted it for one minute! :(

Having read through this thread since the game started, I have to say I was shocked :) at some of the comments regarding Krul and his kicking etc; for me, he looked pretty good the whole 90 mins whatever he was doing.

On the whole he looked comfortable, but there were a couple of clearances which skimmed the turf, he got over any intial nerves though.

Edited by Hatful Of Hollow

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fantastic result - I never doubted it for one minute! ;)

Having read through this thread since the game started, I have to say I was shocked :o at some of the comments regarding Krul and his kicking etc; for me, he looked pretty good the whole 90 mins whatever he was doing.

I'll think you'll find i was defending him all game snakey. :D:):(

Fantastic result - I never doubted it for one minute! ;)

Having read through this thread since the game started, I have to say I was shocked :o at some of the comments regarding Krul and his kicking etc; for me, he looked pretty good the whole 90 mins whatever he was doing.

I'll think you'll find i was defending him all game snakey. :D:):(

Okay, that's good caus Krul is now my official bestest player and anyone that diss's him will meet with death from my AK47 :angry:

:dancing:

Guest Patrokles

I think that the post-game reaction shows a good team spirit, too. I also think that those who are convinced Roeder HATES LUQUE WITH A PASSION AND WANTS HIM TO FAIL are probably a little misguided, given that they hugged after the game. Also you can see that everyone at the club WANTS Luque to succeed.

I have to say Carroll did absolutely nothing to convince me he's worthy of a start. Didn't even get near the ball when he came on, let alone get a sniff at goal. Especially being a Geordie. Needs to make room for real tryers like Luque. Blatantly no point in brining him on.

Luque rises to the challenge at last to sink Sicilians

Michael Walker at Stadio Renzo Barbera

Friday November 3, 2006

The Guardian

Remarkable gets over-used as a description in sport but Newcastle United, and three of their players in particular - Tim Krul, Albert Luque and Andy Carroll - merited it last night. Krul, an 18-year-old Dutch goalkeeper, made his debut and in keeping a clean sheet, Newcastle's third in a row, he was outstanding.

In defying Andrea Caracciolo and David Di Michele in the 67th minute Krul, moreover, has already had the Newcastle version of his Jim Montgomery moment and as he said afterwards: "I will never forget this night for as long as I live." When he walked into the Newcastle dressing room, last in, Krul was given a standing ovation.

His double save helped ensure that Newcastle held on to the 37th-minute lead provided by Luque, only the third goal from the Spaniard in the 15 months since his £9.5m transfer from Deportivo La Coruna. As Glenn Roeder asked of him on Wednesday, Luque proved he may yet have a future at St James' Park, though it is only a first tentative step.

On a night of no little vindication for Roeder, Newcastle's manager was also able to give a debut to Carroll in injury-time. Replacing Nolberto Solano, Carroll, at 17 and 267 days, became United's youngest player in 37 years of European football. Carroll's big day ended with his team on top of Group H, with Newcastle now virtually assured of participation in the knock-out phase beginning in the new year.

Under intense pressure on Tyneside due to Newcastle's weak Premiership results, Roeder will hope that beating Palermo, currently second in Serie A, comes to be seen as a turning point. It will be said that Palermo started with just five regulars and that Simplicio and Di Michele, scorers of three of the four goals that accounted for West Ham in the preliminary round, came on too late, but this was a mature Newcastle performance from a team sprinkled with youth.

"The collective team spirit running through our team clearly showed tonight," said Roedera "and given that we left senior players back in Newcastle due to injury and asked a number of others to step up who don't normally play, it was nothing short of brilliant. It's a major result for us for many reasons."

He added: "Palermo are not to be under-rated - where they are in Serie A is a true reflection of their quality. I hope this now gives us the confidence in the Premiership. You can see we are not playing like a side in our Premiership position."

Roeder revealed that the plan for Krul was to send him out on loan - "and we may still do that". He explained: "I thought his debut was 18 months to two years away. He's had a night to remember."

Physical recovery is now an issue for Roeder's players before the home game with Sheffield United tomorrow but spirits are undoubtedly lifted. With Nicky Butt giving a master class at the base of a five-man midfield, a fixture that looked treacherous was handled with care. Krul was beaten twice in the first 12 minutes but on each occasion Craig Moore got back to clear.

Moore had one of his best displays in a Newcastle jersey, as did James Milner. Playing on the left, Milner was a release valve for Newcastle when he could be, but was also prepared to carry the attack to the Sicilians.

Robbing Andrea Barzagli on 10 minutes, Milner forced the Sicilian goalkeeper Alberto Fontana into a smart save and he might have had a penalty then as Barzagli was dragging him back as he shot.

And it was Milner who delivered the fantastic cross from the left that Luque met six yards out to steer beyond Fontana. It was a fine goal and may persuade the disaffected Spaniard that he can make a go of it at St James'.

Overall Luque's was a much improved effort but as Roeder said: "He needs to keep on working hard." After the goal Newcastle were comfortable for the next half-hour and when Palermo were able to break through, Krul was there. Of Newcastle's 16, last night he was one of eight who came through the academy, another positive from a remarkable night for the club.

Brilliant result and good performance, let's hope we can transfer that to Saturday's match which is more important. We don't want to win the UEFA cup and get relegated.

A couple of thoughts. For me the motm, excepting Krul, had to be Milner. But it wouldn't surprise me if he goes in January thanks to some truly shabby treatment by us and the fact he is one our few saleable assets.

Secondly, why do we seem to perform better, or at least get better results, without Parker in the side? Our best spell in the league for a couple of years coincided with his glandular fever. He might be the fans favourite and give 100%, but for some reason I'm beginning to suspect the team is broken with him in it.

:)

Milner did well. He's right footed isn't he? Which makes that a hell of a cross with his left.

I know people are wetting themselves about Luque, and I don't want to have a go at him unnecessarily, because he scored, but apart from the goal he was pretty poor. Can anyone argue with that? I know Wullie's over on NO saying how many times has Owen been poor and scored and that's all that's mattered, but there's a world of difference between Owen and Luque tbh.

Milner did well. He's right footed isn't he? Which makes that a hell of a cross with his left.

I know people are wetting themselves about Luque, and I don't want to have a go at him unnecessarily, because he scored, but apart from the goal he was pretty poor. Can anyone argue with that? I know Wullie's over on NO saying how many times has Owen been poor and scored and that's all that's mattered, but there's a world of difference between Owen and Luque tbh.

Couldn't agree more about Bert Luque. Credit to be on the six yard line to head the goal, but that was piss poor defending to let him stand and head it unchallenged tbh. I reckon Babayaro could have headed that in, which shows how easy it was to score.

Apart from the goal, he looked weak and ineffective to me.

The cross was so perfect it would have been a crime to miss. Other than that, I didn't see him do anything special. That's not to say he shouldn't get a few more chances, especially as we have few other options.

Patrokles will go mad, but I couldn't help wondering if Roeder tried to hang Luque out to dry last night. His pre-match talk implied it was Luque's last chance, which is hardly fair when he's playing up front by himself against one of the form teams in Europe, away from home. Luckily for him he got the chance to score and took it.

I think he dropped of and came looking for the ball a bit more than usual which seemed positive and was heartening, but I spose it was completely ineffective if I'm to give the full appraisal. Right place at the right time for the goal and credit for that. See if he can kick on in the league now. Basically, he's on his last warning for the next five or six games and he needs to perform in all of them tbh.

Patrokles will go mad, but I couldn't help wondering if Roeder tried to hang Luque out to dry last night. His pre-match talk implied it was Luque's last chance, which is hardly fair when he's playing up front by himself against one of the form teams in Europe, away from home. Luckily for him he got the chance to score and took it.

I guess everyone else noticed Rodders - during the pre-match press conference - lay the blame of buying of Luque for £9.5m squarely at the door of Mr Souness. Talk about slopey shoulders Glenn!

I guess everyone else noticed Rodders - during the pre-match press conference - lay the blame of buying of Luque for £9.5m squarely at the door of Mr Souness. Talk about slopey shoulders Glenn!

Aye, I noticed. Next year Curbishley will be blaming Roeder for wasting 10 million quid on Martins!

Given the speculation re: N'Zogbia today I could see him and Milner leaving in January, which would be a real shame. Especially as there is a decent argument that both should be starting ahead of Duff and Nobby respectively imo.