Leazes?

Ted Maul

So we're shit because of the Souness appointment? Has anyone seen the results in Robson's last 25 games as manager?

Aye, do you now mean he was right to sack Robson and not stick to the plan ?

Have I ever said any different?

The timing was shocking, but the decision was right.

By the way, I wasn't happy with either the Duff or Martins signings especially. I questioned the fact that we'd signed a left winger who we didn't need instead of strikers/defenders/right winger who we did.

the timing is irrelevant. I've said this before. Were Arsenal wrong to sack Rioch and replace him with Wenger early in the season ? Were we wrong to sack gullit and replace him with Robson early in the season ? Clubs have always done this, and always will. You don't stick with managers who are losing games, but people like you think they should stick with their plan :razz: ... should Arsenal have stuck with Rioch ? Should we have stuck with Gullit ? What a load of bollocks. Just because other people say this tripe doesn't mean its right. Get a mind of your own and realise the only thing that matters is who the new bloke is.

Note - we do not need defenders before forwards, we didn't in the summer, and we still don't. There is absolutely nothing wrong with buying a player like Duff, for 5m quid, and the best years of his career ahead of him, when he was available. This is what makes me smile about "damned if they do, damned if they don't" people like you, because you would have done your nut and called the board everthing if he had gone somewhere else for that price instead of here, and whats more you know it.

You are seriously supporting Shepherd's (and Hall's) decision to sack Robson 4 games into the season with ABSOLUTELY NO PLAN ON HIS REPLACEMENT whatsoever? This, after publically undermining him by stating he was in his last year no matter what (and the interference with his transfers which you choose to deny).

Can you tell me why on Earth we couldn't PLAN ahead just a little bit and have got his replacement in during the summer, like Liverpool did? I know you don't believe in planning, but how can other clubs make decisions with foresight (again, something you claim does not exist), unlike us, who have made the same mistake THREE times in succession (the mistake being letting a manger spend during the summer only to sack him very early on in the following season), which has led to our present sad and sorry placing.

And if as you claim there really is no such thing as foresight, how was it possible to predict Souness would be a disaster? No hindsight required there, was there?

Basically I don't think you are capable of ever seeing the damage Shepherd and Hall have done to this club in the last 10 years. I get the feeling that even if we are relegated, which I still think looks like more than a possibility, you will be unable to blame him, instead clinging to some bizarre belief that it was all inevitable.

I agree we needed forwards more than defenders btw, it's just a pity Shepherd appointed a manager who is clueless in the transfer market and consequently bought extremely poorly imo. As always though, the buck stops at the top - two apalling managerial appointments have completely undone any good work Shepherd had done previously, and Shepherd is on the brink of leaving the club in its worst state in its entire history. His latest mistake, his decision to stick with Roeder, could well be the straw to finally break the camel's back.

Btw, if we were right to sack Robson after 4 games in 2004, can you explain to me why it's alright to give obviously inferior managers much longer and more funds despite much worse starts to the season. Can you explain that one to me Leazes?

There is no explanation for this. Robson started the season badly, and so they decided they needed to change. Clubs do it all the time. The fact that some of us think it could have been done in the summer, is neither here nor there....the majority of supporters didn't say this at the time, many on here too, they were happy with the summer signings ie Kluivert, Butt, Milner and Carr, so why would they advocate the sacking of the manager at that stage ? The people who know this is what they thought, but now say they advocated something else, are basically liars.

I was happy to go with Robson at the time, but I had reservations about how long he had left. When we started the season badly, I went with the view that a change could work out well as the entire season stood in front of us. As we know, they gave the job to the Scottish fuckpig, and backed him. Why ? Fuck knows, Gemmill and Craig could tell us as they stuck with him even after he assaulted his player on the training ground. The disastrous decision. Don't ask me why they stuck with him, I haven't a clue, I wanted him out from day 1 just like you did.

Regarding foresight....you can make a judgement, and you may be wrong. But you can't have foresight, it is not the same thing, and :dancing::icon_lol: .... nobody is employed to show foresight....fucking hilarious statement that like

Do yourself a favour and read Fop's post about foresight. We're going to chip in together and get you a dictionary, shall we send it to Shepherd's office for him to give to you?

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So we're shit because of the Souness appointment? Has anyone seen the results in Robson's last 25 games as manager?

By the way, I wasn't happy with either the Duff or Martins signings especially. I questioned the fact that we'd signed a left winger who we didn't need instead of strikers/defenders/right winger who we did.

the timing is irrelevant. I've said this before. Were Arsenal wrong to sack Rioch and replace him with Wenger early in the season ? Were we wrong to sack gullit and replace him with Robson early in the season ? Clubs have always done this, and always will. You don't stick with managers who are losing games, but people like you think they should stick with their plan :razz: ... should Arsenal have stuck with Rioch ? Should we have stuck with Gullit ? What a load of bollocks. Just because other people say this tripe doesn't mean its right. Get a mind of your own and realise the only thing that matters is who the new bloke is.

Note - we do not need defenders before forwards, we didn't in the summer, and we still don't. There is absolutely nothing wrong with buying a player like Duff, for 5m quid, and the best years of his career ahead of him, when he was available. This is what makes me smile about "damned if they do, damned if they don't" people like you, because you would have done your nut and called the board everthing if he had gone somewhere else for that price instead of here, and whats more you know it.

If Shepherd had pulled off a coup and got someone of Wenger's calibre, he would have rendered the timing of Robson's dismissal irrelevent. However, when the timing of that sacking (combined with no contingency plan) meant we ended up with Souness as manager, the timing is highly relevent imo.

eeerr...thats what I'm saying, that I have always done Alex. Its not the timing that matters, its the replacement. And if you need to sack your manager, you have to turn to who is available, because believe it or not, if you have an eye on someone under a 4 year contract, you can't poach them because its against the rules.

No, you're saying the timing never matters. I'm saying in this case it does, as it was a factor in why we got Souness.

If many accounts are true, I blame Shepherd far, far more than Roeder for our inability to address problem positions in the summer. I think Roeder can see everything that we fans can, but has maybe been frustrated in his efforts due to disagreements with the chairman.

Roeder chose the signings though. Martins was his number 1 target after all :razz:

Roeder's proven himself to be a shit manager at three other clubs. People (like Leazes) who believed he might be different here should ask themselves why.

without labouring the point Renton, I don't think a person like you should be making a judgement on a person doing a job when they are suffering from a brain tumour. You ought to know better. These things can affect people for a long time before they become obvious to the point where you seek treatment.

There are reasons for his fortunes at the other 2 clubs, not many people at Watford blame him for the teams demise, and Gillingham too. Fans of both these clubs wished him well when he got our job, on the rivals network when I asked them about what happened to him there.

I have no idea if he will be better, than another big name would have been. I made the point that big names had not succeeded, in most cases they were more concerned with their big name than the best interests of the club, and Roeder at least deserved some support and a positive outlook on the 7th place he gained before he had his health problems.

I'm sorry but that's bullshit. Roeder has never to my knowledge claimed that the tumour was affecting his health or giving him symptoms before it became critical, and I suspect he wouldn't like other people use it as an excuse either.

which says a lot for him. I wouldn't either. However, it would affect him, its bullshit to suggest it wouldn't and I suspect that you must know this.

His record speaks for itself, it's very poor, at four clubs now including us. When you select a manager, the main thing you have to go on when you appoint someone is their previous record, quite frankly alarm bells should have been ringing when looking at Roeder's, whatever his health problems or other excuses were. Not to mention the fact that someone's record as a caretaker should be largely discounted because successful caretakers almost never make successful managers.

Of course a manager that has previously been successful at other clubs has no guarantee of being successful at NUFC, but one that has a previously disastrous record should be avoided like the plague. Even Souness is not as adept at relegating clubs as Roeder, and this is a fact.

You know the fact you can't even agree with these elementary points really does make you look foolish Leazes, for once stop being so blinkered towards the leadership of this club and accept that they have dropped a clanger, and not for the first time. Or keep on in La La land as we are relegated if you like, I suppose you are at least good for comic value in these dark times.

Shame but I think someone who has so little compassion for a human being who almost died is very sad. Whether he will make a good job as manager, none of us know. He was dealt a shit set of cards, and no, he would not have been my choice and probably not too many people's either. At the end of his time as caretaker stint though, quite a lot of people were happy for him to be given this short contract too and see if he had what it takes, and again, those that now deny this or use hindsight are simply liars.

I would be the first to sack any manager who I think is responsible for getting the club relegated. I said from day 1 again that Roeders fate would rest on his transfer market buying and selling. If Martins was scoring goals like Andy Cole did, his position today would be far more secure and we would all be a lot happier. However, as some of you lot are constantly harping on about "planning", why are you not supporting the "plan", and giving him time ........ you can't have it both ways unfortunately there are more than a few people on here who appear to want this and just moan on denying their own judgements instead when it suits them.

Edited by LeazesMag

LM is just totally mind-numbing on this matter. He just refuses to accept that Shepherd is basically shit at everything other than spending money.

Keep trying though, eh? I'm sure you'll get through to him in the end. :dancing:

How big is that fucking picture btw? :razz:

If many accounts are true, I blame Shepherd far, far more than Roeder for our inability to address problem positions in the summer. I think Roeder can see everything that we fans can, but has maybe been frustrated in his efforts due to disagreements with the chairman.

Roeder chose the signings though. Martins was his number 1 target after all :razz:

Roeder's proven himself to be a shit manager at three other clubs. People (like Leazes) who believed he might be different here should ask themselves why.

without labouring the point Renton, I don't think a person like you should be making a judgement on a person doing a job when they are suffering from a brain tumour. You ought to know better. These things can affect people for a long time before they become obvious to the point where you seek treatment.

There are reasons for his fortunes at the other 2 clubs, not many people at Watford blame him for the teams demise, and Gillingham too. Fans of both these clubs wished him well when he got our job, on the rivals network when I asked them about what happened to him there.

I have no idea if he will be better, than another big name would have been. I made the point that big names had not succeeded, in most cases they were more concerned with their big name than the best interests of the club, and Roeder at least deserved some support and a positive outlook on the 7th place he gained before he had his health problems.

I'm sorry but that's bullshit. Roeder has never to my knowledge claimed that the tumour was affecting his health or giving him symptoms before it became critical, and I suspect he wouldn't like other people use it as an excuse either.

which says a lot for him. I wouldn't either. However, it would affect him, its bullshit to suggest it wouldn't and I suspect that you must know this.

His record speaks for itself, it's very poor, at four clubs now including us. When you select a manager, the main thing you have to go on when you appoint someone is their previous record, quite frankly alarm bells should have been ringing when looking at Roeder's, whatever his health problems or other excuses were. Not to mention the fact that someone's record as a caretaker should be largely discounted because successful caretakers almost never make successful managers.

Of course a manager that has previously been successful at other clubs has no guarantee of being successful at NUFC, but one that has a previously disastrous record should be avoided like the plague. Even Souness is not as adept at relegating clubs as Roeder, and this is a fact.

You know the fact you can't even agree with these elementary points really does make you look foolish Leazes, for once stop being so blinkered towards the leadership of this club and accept that they have dropped a clanger, and not for the first time. Or keep on in La La land as we are relegated if you like, I suppose you are at least good for comic value in these dark times.

Shame but I think someone who has so little compassion for a human being who almost died is very sad. Whether he will make a good job as manager, none of us know. He was dealt a shit set of cards, and no, he would not have been my choice and probably not too many people's either. At the end of his time as caretaker stint though, quite a lot of people were happy for him to be given this short contract too and see if he had what it takes, and again, those that now deny this or use hindsight are simply liars.

I would be the first to sack any manager who I think is responsible for getting the club relegated. I said from day 1 again that Roeders fate would rest on his transfer market buying and selling. If Martins was scoring goals like Andy Cole did, his position today would be far more secure and we would all be a lot happier. However, as some of you lot are constantly harping on about "planning", why are you not supporting the "plan", and giving him time ........ you can't have it both ways unfortunately there are more than a few people on here who appear to want this and just moan on denying their own judgements instead when it suits them.

It's got nothing to do with lack of compassion ffs. If we are going to get so sentimental then why on Earth did we sack Bobby the way we did? Roeder has an ABSOLUTELY SHIT MANAGERIAL CV, which is why I, and other sensible people, NEVER wanted him as a full time manager. Go back and check my posts to see if I am lying if you like.

Btw, I have no idea if his tumour had any effect on him or not. But when he was failing at West Ham, he was not aware he had it. He never described any symptoms then, and hasn't said since he had any symptoms, which is quite common with this type of illness. What I do find utterly repugnant personally is you using his illness not as an excuse for his managerial failings, but as some kind of backup for your flawed argument which you are obviously losing. Give the man some dignity ffs and stop making excuses for him.

Souness should have got longer as he's had heart problems in the past I reckon. You lot have no compassion.

Was still having them some days when he was here by the look of him.

Rushed to hospital with a bad side, etc. *Groan*

Souness should have got longer as he's had heart problems in the past I reckon. You lot have no compassion.

That's a good point actually and one Leazes should seriously answer when discussing his time at Liverpool. Bet he ducks out of this one as well though...........

Edit: in fact, iirc Leazes and others (including me I think) used this as an argument against Souness, as Liverpool's only success was when he was in hospital and Thompson was in charge!

West Ham's position would have looked a lot worse if it had not been for Brooking too as it happens.

Edited by Renton

Incidentally, has anyone pointed out the two flaws in the title of this thread to Skol yet? If not you're slipping.

Someone's already alluded to it, I think any conversation on that level is probably forbidden in the Newcastle forum.

You are seriously supporting Shepherd's (and Hall's) decision to sack Robson 4 games into the season with ABSOLUTELY NO PLAN ON HIS REPLACEMENT whatsoever? This, after publically undermining him by stating he was in his last year no matter what (and the interference with his transfers which you choose to deny).

Can you tell me why on Earth we couldn't PLAN ahead just a little bit and have got his replacement in during the summer, like Liverpool did? I know you don't believe in planning, but how can other clubs make decisions with foresight (again, something you claim does not exist), unlike us, who have made the same mistake THREE times in succession (the mistake being letting a manger spend during the summer only to sack him very early on in the following season), which has led to our present sad and sorry placing.

And if as you claim there really is no such thing as foresight, how was it possible to predict Souness would be a disaster? No hindsight required there, was there?

Basically I don't think you are capable of ever seeing the damage Shepherd and Hall have done to this club in the last 10 years. I get the feeling that even if we are relegated, which I still think looks like more than a possibility, you will be unable to blame him, instead clinging to some bizarre belief that it was all inevitable.

I agree we needed forwards more than defenders btw, it's just a pity Shepherd appointed a manager who is clueless in the transfer market and consequently bought extremely poorly imo. As always though, the buck stops at the top - two apalling managerial appointments have completely undone any good work Shepherd had done previously, and Shepherd is on the brink of leaving the club in its worst state in its entire history. His latest mistake, his decision to stick with Roeder, could well be the straw to finally break the camel's back.

Btw, if we were right to sack Robson after 4 games in 2004, can you explain to me why it's alright to give obviously inferior managers much longer and more funds despite much worse starts to the season. Can you explain that one to me Leazes?

There is no explanation for this. Robson started the season badly, and so they decided they needed to change. Clubs do it all the time. The fact that some of us think it could have been done in the summer, is neither here nor there....the majority of supporters didn't say this at the time, many on here too, they were happy with the summer signings ie Kluivert, Butt, Milner and Carr, so why would they advocate the sacking of the manager at that stage ? The people who know this is what they thought, but now say they advocated something else, are basically liars.

I was happy to go with Robson at the time, but I had reservations about how long he had left. When we started the season badly, I went with the view that a change could work out well as the entire season stood in front of us. As we know, they gave the job to the Scottish fuckpig, and backed him. Why ? Fuck knows, Gemmill and Craig could tell us as they stuck with him even after he assaulted his player on the training ground. The disastrous decision. Don't ask me why they stuck with him, I haven't a clue, I wanted him out from day 1 just like you did.

Regarding foresight....you can make a judgement, and you may be wrong. But you can't have foresight, it is not the same thing, and :dancing::icon_lol: .... nobody is employed to show foresight....fucking hilarious statement that like

Tell that to your average economist or stockbroker. :icon_lol:

They are certainly paid to show foresight.

Nb: definition includes:"providence by virtue of planning prudently for the future"

Explain why Freddie or an economist or a stockbroker shouldnt be doing just that.

It's got nothing to do with lack of compassion ffs. If we are going to get so sentimental then why on Earth did we sack Bobby the way we did? Roeder has an ABSOLUTELY SHIT MANAGERIAL CV, which is why I, and other sensible people, NEVER wanted him as a full time manager. Go back and check my posts to see if I am lying if you like.

Btw, I have no idea if his tumour had any effect on him or not. But when he was failing at West Ham, he was not aware he had it. He never described any symptoms then, and hasn't said since he had any symptoms, which is quite common with this type of illness. What I do find utterly repugnant personally is you using his illness not as an excuse for his managerial failings, but as some kind of backup for your flawed argument which you are obviously losing. Give the man some dignity ffs and stop making excuses for him.

what I find fantastically naive ... or maybe you are in a state of denial....is the picture you are painting that someone suffering from the growth of a brain tumour isn't seriously affected by it to the extent that it impairs on their performance not just at work, but their whole life. In a highly competitive sport/industry like football, where competition is athletic and on a knife edge and every small advantage counts too. I suggest you post your comments that it shouldn't be relevant in one of your medical journals, and I guarantee you will be laughed out of sight. Your "qualification" must be a shite qualification if this is what you really think, or else you are a complete arsehole if you have your head up your arse about the board at this football club to such a degree you can deny such a thing.

Shameful, to be honest. And it is significant that none of your mates have so far decided to agree with you.

His illness doesn't need to be spoken about by anyone, anyone with half a brain will realise that it must have effected him, as it would have been lying dormant or undetected during the very period when West Ham went from 7th to a relegation position. Only a complete wanker would not appreciate that he is a brave man for not making excuses. As for someone with "medical qualifications"........

Speaking of naivety...your post about this "lack of planning" business regarding Shepherd sacking Bobby Robson and not having a manager in mind...of course he did, every chairman in football has an eye on managers just the same as fans do. Football is a reactionary game, managers are sacked all the time, the simple fact is that the club chose Souness which was a wrong decision. How do you know he wasn't on a short list ? Of course he was.....the wrong choice most definitely, but he would have been on a short list of replacements. I can't believe the amount of tossers on here who make things up as they go. Such as a load of bollocks like such statements.

BTW... I am in the process of copying old videos of clips from TV I've made over the years, onto DVD's and tonight I watched an interview of Tony Galvin [for KK bandwagon jumpers who think we have always been winning cups and playing in europe since the 1950's he was Ossie Ardiles assistant] and said that he and Ossie "had a plan, but it would need patience and wouldn't happen overnight"....laugh ? ....I nearly swallowed the fucking blueprint .... what a wanker, mind you someone could explain what happened to that plan if they know anything about it or feel the need to prove something ........

Edited by LeazesMag

His illness doesn't need to be spoken about by anyone, anyone with half a brain will realise that it must have effected him, as it would have been lying dormant or undetected during the very period when West Ham went from 7th to a relegation position. Only a complete wanker would not appreciate that he is a brave man for not making excuses. As for someone with "medical qualifications"........

:razz::dancing:

My my, Leazes is obsessed with my qualifications again, now there's a surprise. Ironically this is one discussion they may have some relevance as it happens, because I spent 6 years in cancer research. I'll not go into details, but I'm fairly sure I know more about the subject than you.

And unlike you, I am not going to presume that Roeder's tumour had any effect on him or not in the year he was relegated, or at what exact point in time it may have become symptomatic. As far as I was aware, he was affected very suddenly, with symptoms similar to a stroke. It is possible he may have been getting some symptoms such as headaches prior to this event, or he might have felt nothing wrong at all. The crucial point is I don't know, and you don't know. What I do know is that the condition was not diagnosed prior to his collapse and he never publically complained about it affecting his job prior to or after this. Therefore I would respect his privacy on the matter and not go around making assumptions about it.

Robson, btw, has had cancer 4 times now, and he had very few initial symptoms from any of these tumours, in fact in the last case it was completely asymptomatic and was found by chance. He also doesn't use his health as an excuse either, even though it has been at least as bad as Roeder's. I agree that both Robson and Roeder are dignified men, I'm sure neither of them would want you speculating on how their health has impacted on their jobs, let alone use it as an excuse for their failings, but you are probably just too crass to understand this, aren't you?

Btw, why have you dodged the point about Souness? I remember clearly you complaining about what a terrible job he did at Liverpool, do you deny this? Well, he had a life threatening heart complaint, one that would have given him terrible pain and other symptoms, plus would have put him very much in fear of dying. Why does he not warrant your sympathy?

I'll tell you why shall I? Because it doesn't suit your pathetic arguments, that's why. And this proves to me that you are merely using Roeder's illness as a smoke screen in a vain attempt to justify your support for his candidture, which just about sums you up, you pig ignorant, obstinate, fool.

a person doing a job when they are suffering from a brain tumour................ These things can affect people for a long time before they become obvious to the point where you seek treatment.

................................... Roeder has never to my knowledge claimed that the tumour was affecting his health or giving him symptoms before it became critical, and I suspect he wouldn't like other people use it as an excuse either...................

Shame but I think someone who has so little compassion for a human being who almost died is very sad. Whether he will make a good job as manager, none of us know. He was dealt a shit set of cards...............

Little insight from one who's been there, for what it's worth.

July 1993 I found I was having difficulty with sentences as I couldn't remember the next word and had to search for an equivelent. Healthwise I felt fine but this problem of having difficulty with words led me to see a doctor to whom I explained my problem.

He ran me through a series of tests but found nothing amiss and his next step was to schedule me for a CT-Scan of my head. I had already booked a flight home to catch the start of the season and Newcastle's first home game so he said the CT-scan could wait until I got back after 3 weeks holiday.

I felt fine except for this difficulty with words, it was a nuisance but nothing I couldn't cope with as I was a good communicator and didn't seem to have a problem finding alternate words.

2 weeks into my holiday, having a great time gadding about all over the place, an old mate and I went to Durham City to visit someone and hear the story becomes heresay.

He said we were walking around an indoor market when he noticed I was talking a bit funny and he thought I was joking but as time went by it became worse and according to him there was nothing but utter gibberish

coming out of my mouth yet I was smiling and walking along like there was nothing wrong. He became so concerned he called an ambulance and as it pulled up to the curb I fell unconcious in the street.

I woke up in Dryburn Hospital not knowing why I was there and they kept me there for 3 days and there didn't seem to be anything wrong with me.

To cut a long story short, I asked to be released, flew back to California, walked into the local hospital emergency room, told them what had happened, within 4 hours I was diagnosed as having a brain tumour and was admitted to the hospital for surgery, First two doctors said it was inoperable, third one said he thought there was a chance but guaranteed nothing, not even survival.

I'm here, I'm alright, took a long time to be alright, but some ot the things that have been said are close to reality, no telling how long the tumour had been there, no significant symptoms, no headaches, just a problem with words, the CT-scan would have exposed it had I had it before leaving for England. Most people weren't even aware I was having a problem, it wasn't noticable to them.

We should only take on managers with life-threatening illnesses. It shows a lack of compassion to do otherwise.

Only managers with undiagnosed life-threatening illnesses, silly.

How do we know which managers to pick if their illnesses are undiagnosed?

"Hmmm Mr Scolari your CV looks very impressive, and you have no history of illness. Just one more question, do you shit blood?"