Bramble wants to stay

Scottish Mag

Titus Bramble has vowed to do all he can to earn a new contract at Newcastle United after insisting he never wants to leave the club despite the personal criticism he has been forced to endure at times in the past.

Bramble, who will once again start in the centre of defence against Eintracht Frankfurt tonight, remains a popular figure among supporters despite a poor start to the season which appeared to suggest the centre back was slipping back into bad habits and damaging lapses in concentration.

But the former England Under-21 international, who is out of contract at the end of the season and who can discuss a free transfer move with other clubs under the Bosman rule if a new deal has not been agreed by the New Year, is adamant he wants to prove he deserves to stay at the club he has grown to love.

"I want to stay at Newcastle United," said Bramble, who at 24 is confident the best years of his career are ahead of him.

"I love the club and I am settled in the North-East. Leaving Newcastle would be a massive wrench. There are not many better clubs to play your football at in Europe than Newcastle United.

"I've grown up at this club, both as a footballer and a person and I'm not thinking about leaving.

"I've not heard anything about a new contract yet and, to be honest, that isn't up to me. I've spoken to the manager and he's told me to go out there, play my football and prove to everyone that I deserve one.

"That's all I can do. The rest is out of my hands, but I'm determined to show that I should stay a Newcastle player.

"Hopefully something will be sorted out soon, but as I've said, all I can do is play well and see what happens."

Bramble's blunders in the home game against Fulham earlier this season led to some calls for his removal but, with Glenn Roeder's support, the former Ipswich man has recovered his form and his confidence to play a pivotal role in a defence which has conceded only six goals in its last 11 games.

There are few players who have attracted as much personal criticism as Bramble in the last few years, although much of it is born out of the frustration that he has the potential to establish himself as one of the best defenders in the Premiership if he can find the consistency.

And Bramble is determined to show that he can handle the pressure after suggesting United defenders are always going to be singled out by the critics.

He said: "You have to be strong to be a Newcastle defender, mentally it's tough because you probably get more criticism than at other clubs. Yes I've made mistakes, but I've always put my hand up and accepted the blame.

"I've always been mentally strong, even when I was a kid. I've got my family to thank for that. I've been low at times because sometimes the criticism has gone too far in my opinion.

"But I've got family, friends and team-mates who lift me up again. I've never buckled under the pressure and I never will.

"If I couldn't handle it, I wouldn't be so keen to stay."

It remains to be seen whether Bramble will be offered a new deal by chairman Freddie Shepherd, but, for now, Bramble is concentrating on more immediate issues.

A point in Frankfurt tonight would ensure Newcastle top their Uefa Cup group, which will mean they are paired against a team which finished third in their group and not a side coming from the Champions League.

He added: "It's going to be tough in Frankfurt, but we want to finish top of the group because that will help us in the knockout phase.

"We're on a decent run at the moment and we want to keep that momentum and take it into the league with us.

"That run has been helped by a much-improved defence, although Bramble is reluctant to be singled out for special praise.

"It's nice to see the defence has been praised in recent weeks.

"We've played really well as a unit and the statistics show we've had one of the best defensive records in the Premiership over the last couple of months.

"But it's not down to one individual. It's the whole team. I think the Arsenal game was probably the match where we proved a lot of people wrong. People expected us to get hammered there, but, although we were put under a lot of pressure, we repelled everything they threw at us."

It's good to be in a strong position on this one. If his performances get shit again, there should be no way he should get a new contract. I know a lot of people will say we shouldn't offer him one anyway. Yet, if, as expected, Moore leaves at the seasons end, we're going to be very short handed at the back.

Bramble is starting to realise that not many other clubs in the top flight are going to be interested in him after the shitty reputation he's gotten himself. Probably worried that it's going to affect his pockets too.

If brambles still playing well come april i'd give him a one year extension.

That would be typical NUFC, wouldn't it? Bramble's form goes sky-high but come the end of the season it is too late as Bramble has already agreed to join someone else on a Bosman!

Something has to be sorted before the end of the window imo. I stll reckon he'll be swapped for Distin.

Time to start a fresh with our centrebacks. The only ones who have a chance of ever being good enough are Taylor and possibly Ramage but it will never happen if players like Bramble are what they have to look up to and learn from.

We need to get some experienced quality back there.

That would be typical NUFC, wouldn't it? Bramble's form goes sky-high but come the end of the season it is too late as Bramble has already agreed to join someone else on a Bosman!

Something has to be sorted before the end of the window imo. I stll reckon he'll be swapped for Distin.

Like Man City would want that calamity on their books.

fantasy island tbh

Id give him an extra year. I cant see us bringing enough CBs in to afford loosing them. He could leave from the winter (iirc) on a free and moore has said he is leaving in the summer. While Taylor is good enough for CB and Ramage is coming on, they both still need improvement and that will come with experience. Unless we brought in 2 top CBs then Id give Bramble and extension. This would allow us to bring one in during the winter and another in the summer. Id be happy with Taylor, Ramage +1 +1

get rid. he's not good enough.

no doubt there's an improved 5 year deal incoming

Agreed. Take the opportunity to start afresh.

No matter how well he's playing come the end of the season, his problem (over a very lengthy spell) is proved beyond reasonable doubt to be consistency. Ie he will almost certainly get shit again.

Let's break the cycle ffs.

As has been said before we can't really afford to let him go if Moore also wants to leave unless we know we have the cash to bring in two new CBs.

One year extension, certainly no more.

We can't afford to continue with this cycle of relying on Bramble beacuse he has a good run.

We are going to need to get new centre backs in regardless and his and Moore's contract expiry gives us the oppertunity to admit we made a mistake and just start again.

this is exactly what I'd tell my client to say to the press if I was an agent representing the joke of the premiership. There is no way he's going to move into an established prem team, his best chance would be a move to a newly promoted team, or one that looks like they're building a promotion bid for next year.

has all the qualities required to be a top class centre half, bar the most important one. Concentration.

Time to start a fresh with our centrebacks. The only ones who have a chance of ever being good enough are Taylor and possibly Ramage but it will never happen if players like Bramble are what they have to look up to and learn from.

Ramage has no chance of ever being a Premiership standard centre half.

Nail on head imo

Bramble is just not up to it and has done alot more damage to us than people realise (confidence wise). He was also poor again tonight with several unforced errors. Get rid ASAP

Taylor class again tonight he and Ramage give all they've got for our cause and could be a class CB pairing imo

Nail on head imo

Bramble is just not up to it and has done alot more damage to us than people realise (confidence wise). He was also poor again tonight with several unforced errors. Get rid ASAP

Taylor class again tonight he and Ramage give all they've got for our cause and could be a class CB pairing imo

To be fair Bramble was pretty solid tonight defensively. Just a few horrific passes. Shame imo.

Nail on head imo

To be fair Bramble was pretty solid tonight defensively. Just a few horrific passes. Shame imo.

To be fair he really wasn't. He was turned a few times by very average players, he needlessly gave the ball away and his positioning was horendous at times other than that he was absolutey brilliant like :) He was very lucky to get away with the errors he made he's not good for the younger lads either wo may ge infected with his bad habbits (gang bangs aside).