Suicide

adios

Fishy isnt really gonna become a psychologist is he? :(

I think so, maybe I'm wrong. If right, though, this line from T-Keith really takes the biscuit:

Depression is a condition not some fucker saying they cant be arsed to go to work anymore,

Go on an NHS website and actaully read about depression FFS....

:(

?

In what manner?

he means that it implies that despite studying it, you think I know nothing. :lol:

but seriously I have my opinions on the matter and clearly I've gotten everyones knickers in a twist. I'm man enough to say my beliefs are not going to win me any "nicest bloke in Britain" prizes, but they are MY opinions.

and as this is an internet message board and not a court of law I really don't think I needed to do anything but give chicken nugget answers.

if you wanted a full essay on suicide, depression etc. then I'd love to.

maybe then you'd understand why I've formed this opinion and not just leap around from indignation to affront.

FFS I might not be all warm and fuzzy, but I've made an opinion based on what I know. So sue me. :D

I never knew you were studying it...

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fishy isnt really gonna become a psychologist is he? :D

I think so, maybe I'm wrong. If right, though, this line from T-Keith really takes the biscuit:

Depression is a condition not some fucker saying they cant be arsed to go to work anymore,

Go on an NHS website and actaully read about depression FFS....

:(

?

In what manner?

he means that it implies that despite studying it, I know nothing. :lol:

FYP.

And seriously, I'd love that essay.

I have no problem with your opinion, and certainly haven't got my knickers in a twist about it, but it is my opinion that you'd make a shocking psychologist. Maybe that essay will change my opinion. :(

FYP.

And seriously, I'd love that essay.

I have no problem with your opinion, and certainly haven't got my knickers in a twist about it, but it is my opinion that you'd make a shocking psychologist. Maybe that essay will change my opinion. :D

It really changes my whole career aspirations to know that some bloke, who doesn't know me, hasn't seen anything I've submitted to be marked by lecturers and frankly hasn't got a clue what he's talking about... reckons I won't make it as a Psychologist... :(

not all psychologists have to subscribe to the softly softly catchy monkey approach. I for one think that counselling and society as a whole has gone too far in that direction, leading to a blame culture and as such a lack of personal responsibility.

of course I want to help people, but I want to make sure they do it for the right reasons, I want to make sure they help themselves, because at the end of the day they're the only people who can.

So while I might have a personal opinion about a subject, you can bet your last fiver that it won't ever surface in a professional arena.

I mean, fucking hell you saw what happened when I dared to voice it here.. :(

I have to join the unpopular camp and say I agree with Fish - cowardice always comes to my mind - more for the "damage" to those left behind than for the actual act though I can see the argument about it being worse going on living if life is that bad.

Pushing drugs in a quiet room is one thing - jumping in front of a train and causing trauma to the driver/cleanup crew is another imo.

I have to join the unpopular camp and say I agree with Fish - cowardice always comes to my mind - more for the "damage" to those left behind than for the actual act though I can see the argument about it being worse going on living if life is that bad.

Pushing drugs in a quiet room is one thing - jumping in front of a train and causing trauma to the driver/cleanup crew is another imo.

Both acts of desperation though.

And just to clarify - the drug I referred to wasn't an illegal substance, it was a medical one. "Pushing drugs in a quiet room" sounds like he was injecting heroin or something. Yes I'm being over-sensitive.

And just to clarify - the drug I referred to wasn't an illegal substance, it was a medical one. "Pushing drugs in a quiet room" sounds like he was injecting heroin or something. Yes I'm being over-sensitive.

I presumed that that was what you meant - I wasn't implying seediness or anything.

I wouldn't say "Over" sensitive.

I've got to admit, a lot of people have a problem with my rather blunt objectivity. I never mean offense, but when someone asks a question... I answer it.

luckily when it comes to giving advice to people I've learned to put my opinions in a wee box and lock 'em

I've got to admit, a lot of people have a problem with my rather blunt objectivity. I never mean offense, but when someone asks a question... I answer it.

luckily when it comes to giving advice to people I've learned to put my opinions in a wee box and lock 'em

Where's this essay, pie-boy?

Guest Patrokles

Here's a question: how would you feel, as a shrink, if one of your patients killed themselves?

I suppose it's impossible to say. But it's an interesting thing to speculate about.

To be honest, I'm tired and can't be chewed to debate about it any more. It something I'm still coming to terms with and like I said earlier will never understand why he did it. I'm angry with him but at the same time he lived his life on his own terms and has died exactly the same way. I'm just sad because at some point he was sat alone and didn't think there was a single person he could turn to to help him through whatever it was, and that's difficult to deal with as a friend. And I'll miss him. You can be as blunt as you want in your opinion of :lol: people who do this ;) but when that person is someone that matters to you then you start to think differently about lots of things.

It also teaches you that if we all thought life was going to be so short then would we live it differently? Take more care about things, treat people better, let people know you care, right your wrongs etc. It throws up lots of life's philosophies and makes you completely re-evaluate things.

I'm now waffling so will shut up.

Thought about it? Know someone who's done it? What do you think about it?

Yes, and very seriously....

One of the guys I went to school with did it so yes

In most cases it's where someone has been 'failed' by someone or something and they see absolutely no alternative which is very sad. In a few cases (definitely the minority) it's where someone is attention seeking and wanting martyrdom

It's a selfish, cowardly thing to do.

Never been directly affected by it, but have seen the effects on close friends of mine.

A guy I went to school with was working in Ireland with his dad, just doing some laboring. His dad comes home to the Hotel from the pub, find Chris swinging from his neck.

I have no sympathy for people who attempt suicide either. I'd love to find out exactly how many truly want to die, and how many are just doing it for attention.

and these fuckers who jump off bridges into traffic or the path of trains are fucking subhuman scum tbh.

Gee thanks......

Lad I knew well at school did it. I got to know his friend at college and he hoyed himself in front of a train.

Another mate tried it once in my house and bled on my record collection the cock. Another mate tries it occasionally and fails every time happily. Never thought about it meself though

Lad I knew well at school did it. I got to know his friend at college and he hoyed himself in front of a train.

Another mate tried it once in my house and bled on my record collection the cock. Another mate tries it occasionally and fails every time happily. Never thought about it meself though

:lol:

Id be angry man

Ever thought you're just not a very good mate. Considering most people that seem to know you want to end it all? :lol:

In most cases it's where someone has been 'failed' by someone or something and they see absolutely no alternative which is very sad.

That's certainly the way I feel about it too, it's just an overwhealmingly sad situation, that you can't really judge as a total outsider.

Cath sorry to her about your friend, it hurts and there is nothing you can do unfortunately.

To those calling suicide cowardly, at what point though is it acceptable?

Is someone who is terminally ill cowardly?

Is someone who has lost everything cowardly?

Is someone who isn't prepared to slash their wrists but has lost hope and all self respect cowardly by living a life akin to suicide cowardly?

I once saw an interview with Jack Kerouac, I think it was with Jonny Carson, and he was asked why he drunk so much, to which he replied, "I'm catholic and it's a sin to commit suicide but there's nothing in the bible to say I can't drink myself to death."

Cath sorry to her about your friend, it hurts and there is nothing you can do unfortunately.

To those calling suicide cowardly, at what point though is it acceptable?

Is someone who is terminally ill cowardly?

Is someone who has lost everything cowardly?

Is someone who isn't prepared to slash their wrists but has lost hope and all self respect cowardly by living a life akin to suicide cowardly?

I once saw an interview with Jack Kerouac, I think it was with Jonny Carson, and he was asked why he drunk so much, to which he replied, "I'm catholic and it's a sin to commit suicide but there's nothing in the bible to say I can't drink myself to death."

Legend

On the road is awesome too...

God help the future clients of Mr Fish.

I've read most of this thread, skimmed a few of the posts but as far as I can tell you've made no reference to people suffering from a mental illness. Not just depression, but people suffering from Bipolar Disorder and particularly schizophrenia are at a much higher risk of suicide.

Still, they're probably just being selfish or cowardly or something. For fuck's sake.