Magpies in lead for defenders signature

Besty

By Paul Gilder, The Journal

Glenn Roeder is searching far and wide in his bid to bring defensive reinforcements to St James's Park - with Marco Andreolli's representatives last night insisting Newcastle head the queue of leading European clubs pursuing the Inter Milan stopper.

Having lost Stephen Carr, Craig Moore, Titus Bramble, Celestine Babayaro and Peter Ramage to various injuries, the United boss is keen to bolster his threadbare back line and, while he would prefer to recruit proven Premiership performers, Roeder is keeping all his options open.

The 51-year-old is willing to exploit the loan market and, having been made available for a temporary transfer by his San Siro paymasters, Andreolli would appear to fit the bill.

Patrick Bastianelli, the agent who negotiated the £10m deal that brought Obafemi Martins from Milan to the North-East, last night revealed the identities of five clubs interested in the Italian Under-21 international. Newcastle, he has insisted, are in pole position.

"The boy (Andreolli) has offers from abroad, in particular from Marseilles and Villarreal, and in Italy there's strong interest from Torino and Empoli," said Bastianelli. "However, Newcastle remain the favourites to sign my client."

Story continues

ADVERTISEMENT

Andreolli is contracted to Internazionale until 2011 and is tipped to enjoy a bright future at the San Siro. But with opportunities limited in Milan, Roberto Mancini is keen for the 20-year-old to gain experience elsewhere and has made him available for loan.

Roeder is desperate to add defensive strength and another target looks certain to escape his clutches. Blackburn have indicated that Lucas Neill will be allowed to leave Ewood Park this month but the Australian is expected to join Liverpool rather than Newcastle.

Meanwhile, PSV Eindhoven are poised to step up their attempts to sign Albert Luque in an bid to lure the Spaniard to Holland before the resumption of their Eredivisie campaign.

Ronald Koeman is keen to recruit Luque on loan and is determined to strike a deal with Newcastle ahead of his team's next competitive fixture, against Heerenveen at the Philips Stadion on January 20.

Koeman's team will play FC Köln in a friendly on Sunday and, although Koeman would have liked to have secured Luque's services by then, it seems unlikely.

Instead, the Dutchman will concentrate his efforts on attempting to complete a loan deal that would enable Luque to make his PSV debut against Heerenveen in nine days time. But success will depend on his ability to negotiate an acceptable salary package with Newcastle officials. A player who enjoys a reported £40,000-a-week wages at St James's Park could only expect to collect half that amount in Holland and, with Freddie Shepherd adamant United will not contribute to his salary were he to leave on loan, a stalemate beckons.

"It's true that PSV are interested in me and there is an offer on the table," said Luque last night.

"However, I have told PSV they will have to talk to Freddie Shepherd. Newcastle have always treated me well and they will have the last say."

* NEWCASTLE teenager James Troisi has signed an 18-month contract to launch his professional career at St James' Park.

The 18-year-old Australian winger has emerged from the club's Academy after heading for England as part of a group of hopefuls.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bet we aren't even looking at him. Obscure foreigners' agents will often mention us when they're trying to wangle a move for their clients.

Pole position (again) tbh.

The last time we signed an Italian U21 international from Inter he was class.

Forgive my ignornace but who was that?

Pistone.

Edited by alex

Wikipedia

Marco Andreolli (born June 10, 1986 in Ponte dell'Olio) is an Italian football (soccer) defender. He is currently on the outskirts of the Inter Milan first team, after being promoted from the Primavera (youth system) in 2006.

He made his Serie A debut against Reggina Calcio, May 2005, and made two more appearances in Serie A 2005-06. His contract with Inter will expire in 2011.[1]

Despite being just a backup player in the Inter first team, Andreolli is a regular for the Italian U-21 national team coached by Pierluigi Casiraghi.

He scored own goal in Primavera team Derby della Madonnina, 12 November 2006. The match finished 1-1 by Sebastián Ribas scored to equalizer.[2] He is considered to be a reliable backup in the future of Italy national team for players such as Fabio Cannavaro, Marco Materazzi and Alessandro Nesta.

Anals dismissed the whole thing as rubbish in the Chron.

Has he taken the time to dismiss the horseshit he was talking yesterday about us signing a defender today?

Here we go again with the Alan Oliver Approach to Covering The Transfer Window - using his column to rubbish rumours from other newspapers instead of reporting something that you came up with yourself. Fucking tosser. We can all read these rumours and dismiss them for ourselves, dicksplash.

not interested unless he can play left back

:razz::razz: so you would turn John Terry down :razz::P

If he was going to cost 30million at least then yes, i would. <_<

are you mad ?

Who said owt about 30m quid ????? :razz::razz:

Danthebrain said he only wants to sign a left back, but he's been coming out with tripe since August - and probably earlier.... :razz:

With it being so difficult to get anyone of quality in on loan or at the right price permanently, i think a central defender would be a good addition. I think everyone knows we are weakest for left backs but we have number of good, reliable if not particularly skillful players who can fit in that position.

Am i right in thinking i read that the Inter president said a decision would be made on 29th January?

With it being so difficult to get anyone of quality in on loan or at the right price permanently, i think a central defender would be a good addition. I think everyone knows we are weakest for left backs but we have number of good, reliable if not particularly skillful players who can fit in that position.

Am i right in thinking i read that the Inter president said a decision would be made on 29th January?

Yeah but I doubt we will be rushed into making a decision that early <_<