English on alert for Carew

Scottish Mag

Skysports.com understands that a host of English clubs have made enquiries about John Carew.

His agent confirmed earlier this month that Carew was in demand, and skysports.com has now learnt that up to five Premiership clubs could be ready to make the Norwegian an offer.

The 27-year-old has long been linked with a move to England and although happy with life at Lyon - the rotation policy under Gerard Houllier is not believed to be to his liking.

It is believed that Liverpool, Newcastle, West Ham, Aston Villa and Middlesbrough have all enquired about Carew at some level.

Some of the clubs are further on in their discussions but it is understood Carew would consider all offers before determining his future.

England remains his top priority, as he has already tried his luck in Spain, Italy and Turkey - although clubs from La Liga, Serie A and the Bundesliga are also readying offers.

Meanwhile, Bordeaux have confirmed they would readily throw their hat into the ring for Carew - although they dismissed talk of a possible swap for Moroccan ace Marouane Chamakh.

"If we have expressed an intention to sign john Carew, we have never thought or talked about an exchange with Marouane Chamakh," Bordeaux supremo Jean-Louis Triaud told AFP.

His playing style reminds me of Emile Heskey.

from what i remember of him in the champions league for valencia a few years back, he makes heskey look like he's got a good touch

was good for a couple of years at valencia, then went for peanuts, had a shit few years and is now back to good form again. IIRC

That is about the strength of it.

People comparing him to the Giraffe are seriously misguided. <_<

was good for a couple of years at valencia, then went for peanuts, had a shit few years and is now back to good form again. IIRC

That is about the strength of it.

People comparing him to the Giraffe are seriously misguided. :razz:

Aye, those two are nothing alike. For starters Crouch can't head, Carew can. Carews a targetman - a Jan Koller type of player.

<_<

From 26th December

Newcastle boss Glenn Roeder has poured cold water on reports linking him with a January move for Lyon striker John Carew.

Roeder is set to bolster his strikeforce in the January window, having lost Michael Owen and Shola Ameobi to long-term injuries.

Obafemi Martins has proved his quality in recent weeks, but Roeder is eager to take some of the attacking pressure off the shoulders of the Nigerian and reports suggested he was planning a raid on the French champions for Carew.

Roeder has revealed that he is close friends with Lyon chief Gerard Houllier and he has never spoken to the Frenchman about his forward.

"One of my best friends in football management is Gerard Houllier at Lyon and if I was interested in signing John Carew, he would have been the first one I would have talked to," stated Roeder.

"Well, I have not talked to Gerard because I am not interested in Carew."

Edited by Besty

Apparently Werder Bremen are in advanced negotiations signing him for 5m Euro. I'd take him for that price as well tbh.

There is alot of talk of them also signing Baros, can you see them signing both of them?

Not in the winter. Baros will rather be an option in the summer in case Klose decides to move abroad. At the moment it rather looks like a tabloid creation to me.

And Bremen think 5m Euro for Carew is too much. They sent their own offer to Lyon and are waiting on the response.

From 26th December

Newcastle boss Glenn Roeder has poured cold water on reports linking him with a January move for Lyon striker John Carew.

Roeder is set to bolster his strikeforce in the January window, having lost Michael Owen and Shola Ameobi to long-term injuries.

Obafemi Martins has proved his quality in recent weeks, but Roeder is eager to take some of the attacking pressure off the shoulders of the Nigerian and reports suggested he was planning a raid on the French champions for Carew.

Roeder has revealed that he is close friends with Lyon chief Gerard Houllier and he has never spoken to the Frenchman about his forward.

"One of my best friends in football management is Gerard Houllier at Lyon and if I was interested in signing John Carew, he would have been the first one I would have talked to," stated Roeder.

"Well, I have not talked to Gerard because I am not interested in Carew."

thank christ

Apparently Werder Bremen are in advanced negotiations signing him for 5m Euro. I'd take him for that price as well tbh.

There is alot of talk of them also signing Baros, can you see them signing both of them?

no, because Carew is linked to Werder and Baros is linked to Lyon...