Mourinho: "I'd be better off at Toon"

Craig

How can you coach a team if you have never been out there and done it yourself? Overrated in my opinion.

What utter bollocks. Just because you have been a decent footballer what right does that give you to walk into a top level job without any experience whatsoever?

All of the big 4's managers in this country haven't been top level players.

Seriously, get a clue.

Why are you harping on about "the right" to be a manager? Who is talking about "the right" to be a manager? I am not talking about "rights", man. Of course, anyone can be a manager. Technically you could know sod all about football and be a manager. All it's down to like any job is if you can get employed. And calm down a little too...

If you have never been there, and done it - everything from drills, training, and doing the business on a Saturday afternoon, I DO believe you are lacking that something, an extra bit of nous and experience you can use to manage a team. OK, so the guy has had an awesome apprenticeship with Robson, and will have learned a lot in that time, but that edge is still missing and I genuinely believe he would be a better manager for it had he been a top player.

PLEASE do not confuse this as meaning a top player automatically makes a good manager. If you believe this is my point then you need to read up on your English.

Its the same for any kind of coach. Do you think a boxer can be trained by a guy who has never stepped in the ring better than a trained coach who has also fought the greatest fighters of his time and been successful? Sure, on some occasions this may be true one for one, but that little extra nous through actual experience of the sport is what JM will never have.

Hopefully you understand what I'm saying now and are less offended.

Disagree entirely. Football is now a science and all the third party help available from fitness to psychologists and video aid and match capture technology make the modern manager more of a boffin/moticator/ tactician than 'roll your sleeves up in training' etc.

.... lol

Mate... Training was just an example, not the be all and end all of my point. From Training, to Tactics, everything.

In a nutshell, If you've been there and done that at the top level, when it comes to the day of the game and you're 1-0 down and changes need made, that experience helps. You know from countless games and success what works and doesn't. You can teach anyone theories but there is simply no substitute for experience.

Anyway, forget it. I can see the next reply being along the lines of "The head coach not the manager does the training and tactics" or similar so just leave it!!! <_<

I know what you're saying mate. Shame could have dragged this one out a bit. :razz:

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How can you coach a team if you have never been out there and done it yourself? Overrated in my opinion.

What utter bollocks. Just because you have been a decent footballer what right does that give you to walk into a top level job without any experience whatsoever?

Seriously, get a clue.

Why are you harping on about "the right" to be a manager? Who is talking about "the right" to be a manager? I am not talking about "rights", man. Of course, anyone can be a manager. Technically you could know sod all about football and be a manager. All it's down to like any job is if you can get employed. And calm down a little too...

If you have never been there, and done it - everything from drills, training, and doing the business on a Saturday afternoon, I DO believe you are lacking that something, an extra bit of nous and experience you can use to manage a team. OK, so the guy has had an awesome apprenticeship with Robson, and will have learned a lot in that time, but that edge is still missing and I genuinely believe he would be a better manager for it had he been a top player.

PLEASE do not confuse this as meaning a top player automatically makes a good manager. If you believe this is my point then you need to read up on your English.

Its the same for any kind of coach. Do you think a boxer can be trained by a guy who has never stepped in the ring better than a trained coach who has also fought the greatest fighters of his time and been successful? Sure, on some occasions this may be true one for one, but that little extra nous through actual experience of the sport is what JM will never have.

Disagree entirely. Football is now a science and all the third party help available from fitness to psychologists and video aid and match capture technology make the modern manager more of a boffin/moticator/ tactician than 'roll your sleeves up in training' etc.

.... lol

Mate... Training was just an example, not the be all and end all of my point. From Training, to Tactics, everything.

In a nutshell, If you've been there and done that at the top level, when it comes to the day of the game and you're 1-0 down and changes need made, that experience helps. You know from countless games and success what works and doesn't. You can teach anyone theories but there is simply no substitute for experience.

Anyway, forget it. I can see the next reply being along the lines of "The head coach not the manager does the training and tactics" or similar so just leave it!!! :razz:

I know what you're saying mate. Shame could have dragged this one out a bit. :razz:

....I'd add that ex-players are also somewhat resistant to change..."My day!" "Proper players"...etc <_<

Seriously, get a clue.

I think that I understand what you're trying to say - that an individual with experience of playing will be better equipped than that same individual without experience of playing - and I agree with you if that's what you're saying, but it's kind of irrelevant in the real world because an individual either does, or does not, have experience of playing. So yes Mourinho would benefit if he could somehow go back and get that experience, but he can't, the fact remains that he is still a top class coach, who has the record to back it up. It makes me laugh when people sneer at him for not having played at the top level because I can't think of any of the real top-class players - Pele, Best, Maradona, etc - who have been anything other than a complete failure, when it comes to management - if they've even bothered to try, that is. Yeah, you've got Rijkaard who's doing ok at Barca and a couple of others, but none have really become top-class managers at the Robson, Ferguson, etc, level. Also, I'm not sure how good a metaphor your boxing example is, not sure I can think of a really successful fighter that's gone on to become a really successful coach, might be wrong like.

Roeder Responds

www.nufc.co.uk

Roeder Laughs Off Jose Claims

By Craig Hope

GLENN Roeder has laughed off suggestions from Jose Mourinho that United have a stronger squad than Chelsea.

The Blues boss was quoted in a national newspaper with reference to the Magpies Academy players whom Roeder has been able to call upon during the recent injury crisis.

Mourinho said: "I'm not even as lucky as some other people because I don't have in the reserve team defenders with the quality and ready to play for my team.

"You look at other teams - Glenn Roeder had Huntington and the boy who scored against Manchester United (Edgar).

"Other teams have an answer. We have no quality defenders and players ready to play for the first team - they are too young or not good enough to play at this level. I don't even have a second squad to go and pick players."

But Roeder, despite reiterating his respect for the Portuguese manager, did find the funny side of his comments

He said: "I have great respect for Jose and he has always come across as a brilliant coach but what I never realised was that he is also a comedian.

"Our players certainly had a laugh about it and could see the funny side of it.

"It's nice however that he thinks we are better off but when we played them recently I said the bench they had was probably the best five-a-side team in the world.

"But I know where he's coming from and I think he's just having a bit of fun."

Roeder said that it was nice to be able to phone his opposite number at Stamford Bridge this week when he inquired about the availability of a player.

He added: "I put a call into him this week about a player but was politely refused and perhaps I wasn't aware of how many injury problems Jose had at Chelsea."

And with speculation that the former Porto coach is set to wave goodbye to English football at the end of the season, Roeder said that Mourinho would be a loss to the Premiership and hoped he would remain at Chelsea.

Seriously, get a clue.

I think that I understand what you're trying to say - that an individual with experience of playing will be better equipped than that same individual without experience of playing - and I agree with you if that's what you're saying, but it's kind of irrelevant in the real world because an individual either does, or does not, have experience of playing. So yes Mourinho would benefit if he could somehow go back and get that experience, but he can't, the fact remains that he is still a top class coach, who has the record to back it up. It makes me laugh when people sneer at him for not having played at the top level because I can't think of any of the real top-class players - Pele, Best, Maradona, etc - who have been anything other than a complete failure, when it comes to management - if they've even bothered to try, that is. Yeah, you've got Rijkaard who's doing ok at Barca and a couple of others, but none have really become top-class managers at the Robson, Ferguson, etc, level. Also, I'm not sure how good a metaphor your boxing example is, not sure I can think of a really successful fighter that's gone on to become a really successful coach, might be wrong like.

Robson played at the very top for England over two decades and had a fine goalscoring record for what was in effect a kind of winger come attacking role. Not sure of Ferguson's playing history, was he not a pro in the first division? I really am not sure, I hate the man even though he is a good manager.

I think the boxing relation is relevant and the same rule applies. I may have exagerated a coach's fighting history slightly as the majority of good coaches have been successful amateurs. You will find the best coach's have extensive careers with numerous years of experience fighting in the ABA's or ABA winners. I will have to find the name but one of the most reputable coach's in the country won the ABA's as an amateur consecutive years I think at different weights too.

Seriously, get a clue.

Robson played at the very top for England over two decades and had a fine goalscoring record for what was in effect a kind of winger come attacking role. Not sure of Ferguson's playing history, was he not a pro in the first division? I really am not sure, I hate the man even though he is a good manager.

I think the boxing relation is relevant and the same rule applies. I may have exagerated a coach's fighting history slightly as the majority of good coaches have been successful amateurs. You will find the best coach's have extensive careers with numerous years of experience fighting in the ABA's or ABA winners. I will have to find the name but one of the most reputable coach's in the country won the ABA's as an amateur consecutive years I think at different weights too.

Actually Riijkaard and Cruijf are rare examples of real tier one players who went on to become good managers. Cruijf is Rijkaards mentor btw. The Barca boss looks v promising as a coach and being a top class player has certainly helped him. Van Basten is another I rate, who will probably take over at Barca in a year or two.

Put it this way if Shepherd 'bought' someone for a stupid amount who flopped and then refused to fund a deal that Roeder wanted and would make better footballing sense and we all knew the money was there - we'd be fucking livid!

*cough* Luque *cough*

I was being ironic there btw... ;)

Put it this way if Shepherd 'bought' someone for a stupid amount who flopped and then refused to fund a deal that Roeder wanted and would make better footballing sense and we all knew the money was there - we'd be fucking livid!

*cough* Luque *cough*

I was being ironic there btw... ;)

All this is Kenyon's doing. A prize fuckwit if ever there was one and you can see by Arnensens treatment of Spurs what he is made of. Mourinho is a top top coach and really they shoudn't risk losing him as there aren't many like him out there.

*cough* Luque *cough*

proof *cough* proof

stupid rumour *cough* stupid rumour

shit board sell best players like Gazza, Beardsley, Waddle *cough* shit board sell best players like Gazza, Beardsley and Gazza

shit board qualify for europe 4 times in 30 years *cough" shit board qualify for europe 4 times in 30 years..

Fantastically funny as always by those who believe "rumours"...... ........ ;):o:puke:

And where exactly did you hear these "rumours" ?????????? Your CIU club in Belfast [that is where you are from isn't it ?] :o;)B) Brillant, you couldn;t make it up......... :woosh:

Edited by LeazesMag

Am I the only personwho can see Freddy in his office now with a massive grin on his face, on the phone to Mourinho either A: trying to convince him to come to us or B: Trying to sell him both Edgar and Huntington for an obscene amount of money.

Probably, Taylor27 might be aswell.

I'm not saying he'll come here. What i'm saying is in Fat Fred's warped little world he probably thinks that this is an admission by Jose that he wants the job.

This is the last place Mourinho would come after our shabby and undignified treatment of Sir Bobby Robson

Am I the only personwho can see Freddy in his office now with a massive grin on his face, on the phone to Mourinho either A: trying to convince him to come to us or B: Trying to sell him both Edgar and Huntington for an obscene amount of money.

Probably, Taylor27 might be aswell.

I'm not saying he'll come here. What i'm saying is in Fat Fred's warped little world he probably thinks that this is an admission by Jose that he wants the job.

This is the last place Mourinho would come after our shabby and undignified treatment of Sir Bobby Robson

Good point.

*cough* Luque *cough*

proof *cough* proof

shit board sell best players like Gazza, Beardsley, Waddle *cough* shit board sell best players like Gazza, Beardsley and Gazza

shit board qualify for europe 4 times in 30 years *cough" shit board qualify for europe 4 times in 30 years..

Fantastically funny as always by those who believe "rumours"...... ........ ;):o:puke:

And where exactly did you hear these "rumours" ?????????? Your CIU club in Belfast [that is where you are from isn't it ?] :o;)B) Brillant, you couldn;t make it up......... :woosh:

Do you have another track on this record... or is it just this one... again... and again.... and again...

This board has been in stewardship during a decade of stagnation and decline.

this isn't good enough.

tell me how I'm wrong, without resorting to patronising dismissal or petulant insults.

Wasting your time with him.

He'll come back with bollocks about average league placings and qualifying for Europe more times in the last 10 years than in the previous 40 before Shepherd. Gordon Lee leaving, selling England stars, buying/selling club blah blah blah....

;)

Edited by Jaffa

*cough* Luque *cough*

proof *cough* proof

Won something then *cough* won nowt since *cough* would swap ten years of qualification *cough* for one year of actual achievment *cough*. Change the record *cough* you boring twat *cough* Also get some Tixylix *cough* for that annoying cough *cough*

*cough* Luque *cough*

proof *cough* proof

Fantastically funny as always by those who believe "rumours"...... ........ :o:puke::o

And where exactly did you hear these "rumours" ?????????? Your CIU club in Belfast [that is where you are from isn't it ?] ;)B):woosh: Brillant, you couldn;t make it up......... :D

Won something then *cough* won nowt since *cough* would swap ten years of qualification *cough* for one year of actual achievment *cough*. Change the record *cough* you boring twat *cough* Also get some Tixylix *cough* for that annoying cough *cough*

;)

*cough* Luque *cough*

proof *cough* proof

Fantastically funny as always by those who believe "rumours"...... ........ :o:puke::o

And where exactly did you hear these "rumours" ?????????? Your CIU club in Belfast [that is where you are from isn't it ?] ;)B):woosh: Brillant, you couldn;t make it up......... :D

;)

Mourinho goes to war with Chelsea board.

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,,1989514,00.html

Feel a bit sorry for Schevchenko being used as a pawn in the whole thing. Sounds to me like they've made their mind up that Mourinho's going in the summer and don't want him spending any cash on new players that the new fella mightn't like. Personally I think Abramovich is underestimating how good a manager Mourinho is. I'm not complaining like cos I think without him and with just Abramovich's money to back the new man, things could go tits up.

By the way, I know it's Hiddink that's meant to be coming in, but I don't know enough about him to say he could be a success like Mourinho is. At the minute Chelsea are onto a good thing with Mourinho in charge and Abramovich could be about to fuck things up - which is nice.

Feel a bit sorry for Schevchenko being used as a pawn in the whole thing. Sounds to me like they've made their mind up that Mourinho's going in the summer and don't want him spending any cash on new players that the new fella mightn't like. Personally I think Abramovich is underestimating how good a manager Mourinho is. I'm not complaining like cos I think without him and with just Abramovich's money to back the new man, things could go tits up.

By the way, I know it's Hiddink that's meant to be coming in, but I don't know enough about him to say he could be a success like Mourinho is. At the minute Chelsea are onto a good thing with Mourinho in charge and Abramovich could be about to fuck things up - which is nice.

Well he's obviously an pretty good manager, most of his sucess has come with PSV and National teams though. I have to say he made an average Aussie team look pretty hand in the summer.

He's managed Real Madrid, Valencia, Fenerbache and Betis and didnt win a single trophy with either of them.

*cough* Luque *cough*

proof *cough* proof

Do you have another track on this record... or is it just this one... again... and again.... and again...

this isn't good enough.

tell me how I'm wrong, without resorting to patronising dismissal or petulant insults.

hohoho.......only 4 clubs have done better ie achieved a higher averagle league position and qualified more for europe - than us during the decade you are talking about .... Fact.

There must be one hell of a lot of clubs "stagnating" out there :D

*cough* Luque *cough*

proof *cough* proof

;)

I reckon you should change your username if you use it in recognition of such a shite player, you obviously set your standards high ........ :D:D

If you want one season of "achievement" you should have supported the smoggies when they won the League Cup, and stayed there with their 15,000 other fans.

So - where exactly did you hear these hot rumours ? Why don't you answer, or is it just that you are making things up ?

*cough* Luque *cough*

proof *cough* proof

this isn't good enough.

hohoho.......only 4 clubs have done better ie achieved a higher averagle league position and qualified more for europe - than us during the decade you are talking about .... Fact.

That is only true if that is your basis of achievment. If you look at winning competitions as a level of achievment then we are still below a lot of clubs.

*cough* Luque *cough*

proof *cough* proof

this isn't good enough.

That is only true if that is your basis of achievment. If you look at winning competitions as a level of achievment then we are still below a lot of clubs.

consistent performance. There are only 2 cups on the table, 3 if you count the League Cup. Being one of the 90 clubs that don't win one of those cups doesn't necessarily mean failure, well you might think so, but believe it or not there are 85 clubs or so who consider qualifying for europe to be fairly successful. Having supported the club when they were shit with shit directors, you should be more aware of this than most of the others.