New contract for Bramble

Jimbo

Titus Bramble will be handed a new contract by Newcastle United as manager Glenn Roeder fights to keep the powerful centre-back.

Bramble - who is close to a return to first-team action after a serious calf injury - has always maintained the support and confidence of Roeder, and he will be rewarded for his impressive form this season with an extended deal.

It had been suggested before Christmas that the 25-year-old, a £4.5m signing from Ipswich Town in 2002, was not going to be kept by United after a brief run of early-season blunders. But Roeder is confident the defender's best years are ahead of him.

The Magpies boss believes Bramble is the best natural defender at the club and that, with the right coaching, the concentration lapses which have undermined him throughout his career can be erased.

Newcastle have been frantically searching for a new centre-back during the January transfer window but they still want to keep Bramble, who was in excellent form before he suffered his calf injury against Eintracht Frankfurt at the end of November.

The former England Under-21 international has been free to negotiate a Bosman-style free transfer since the start of January but has always maintained he wanted to stay on Tyneside, despite interest from Portsmouth, Fulham and Celtic.

Bramble will join Antoine Sibierski, Nolberto Solano and James Milner in pledging his future to the club as Roeder looks to ensure he does not lose any of his key players at the same time as he searches for new faces to bolster his small squad.

Meanwhile, Newcastle's latest unlikely goal hero Paul Huntington believes that his equaliser against Tottenham Hotspur at the weekend will help erase the bad memories from United's 2-2 FA Cup draw at Birmingham.

Huntington was partly at fault for Sebastian Larsson's late equaliser at St Andrew's but made amends with his first goal for the club at White Hart Lane on Sunday.

The 19-year-old Cumbrian drilled a low shot past England keeper Paul Robinson at his near post to join fellow Academy graduates Steven Taylor and David Edgar on to Newcastle's goalscorers list this season. He said: "Centre-back is an important position and I know I wasn't good enough at Birmingham.

"The manager told me in the changing room (at Tottenham) that I responded well which is what I was looking to do.

"It was a relief for me because I have been waiting a while. To pull the shirt on is a dream, to be honest, but to score and help the team win is special.

"It wasn't just the goal it was the team's all-round play on the day.

"It was a great feeling and good to get it out of the way. My colleague David Edgar got his two weeks ago against Manchester United and now I am pleased to join him. The ball just broke me to and I hit it as hard as I could."

He added: "I am getting used to first-team life, I just want to stay in the team. Celestine Babayaro is out so I have a chance at left-back.

"Tottenham isn't an easy place to come and win and now we have done the double over them, which is great. To come away with three points is a great feeling."

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Titus Bramble will be handed a new contract by Newcastle United as manager Glenn Roeder fights to keep the powerful centre-back.

Bramble - who is close to a return to first-team action after a serious calf injury - has always maintained the support and confidence of Roeder, and he will be rewarded for his impressive form this season with an extended deal.

I know that's just journalistic style, but there really isn't any fighting to be done here, let's have it right. That would imply Bramble's stock was soaring and he had suitors left right and centre. He hasn't and therefore if we offer him another deal it should be short and on our terms rather than his. Let's do this properly for a fucking change.

I know that's just journalistic style, but there really isn't any fighting to be done here, let's have it right. That would imply Bramble's stock was soaring and he had suitors left right and centre. He hasn't and therefore if we offer him another deal it should be short and on our terms rather than his. Let's do this properly for a fucking change.

Tenner say's he gets an improved deal. Roeder loves his defenders.

What a fucking joke..

Whilst I am not proclaiming them to be world beaters recent performances from th youngsters and Nobby at the back has shown just how bad Bramble, Carr and Babayaro are. The sooner we get rid of these over paid numpties the better.

Bramble is a fucking clown.

If he does then Roeder's a clown. I don't want to keep him on (not knee jerk, I don't think he's as bad as his fiercest critics make out and I'm not as impressed as his biggest apologists are at the recent upturn-I just think the club needs to aim for better) but if we are to keep him then Roeder needs to make sure it's on the shortest term possible. The terms shouldn't be de-motivating, but any sniff of an improvement would be a complete disgrace and an insult to the fans.

The Magpies boss believes Bramble is the best natural defender at the club and that, with the right coaching, the concentration lapses which have undermined him throughout his career can be erased.

This has been banged out ad nauseum for years. I hope Glenn has the magic wand, but I seriously doubt it.

...but has always maintained he wanted to stay on Tyneside, despite interest from Portsmouth, Fulham and Celtic.

Coo, so he is on a par with Andy O'Brian regarding his suitors. I don't think we have that much of a fight on our hands tbh. :lol:

This whole best natural defender at the club thing is just bollocks. If he was was he wouldn't have the problems that he does.

He has the most natural physical abilities but Taylor and Solano are showing that they are both far better natural defenders than Bramble will ever be.

The time has come to cut our losses on him and move on.

fuck off!

we will never achieve anything while that numpty is a first choice centre back.

get rid, don't be offering him a new contract ffs!

Afraid we're all too happy to settle for it, marra.

That doesnt surprise me like, but what does is the fact the club are still justifying it by using the lines his 'best is yet to come'/'potential' etc etc etc. Jesus wept.

If I thought for a minute he was going to be on substantially less money and going to be used as cover then I'd be alright with this (given the lack of defenders we have). I very much doubt that's the case though.

fuck off!

we will never achieve anything while that numpty is a first choice centre back.

get rid, don't be offering him a new contract ffs!

Afraid we're all too happy to settle for it, marra.

That doesnt surprise me like, but what does is the fact the club are still justifying it by using the lines his 'best is yet to come'/'potential' etc etc etc. Jesus wept.

he's had enough chances and he's proven again and again that he's not good enough. he's not a kid anymore. shocking news. we should have slung him back to ipswich

shocking news.

when he wants to play (game against chelsea in last years cup) he is good, but he's never been great. but he's not what we really want (we've already got plenty of inconsistent centrebacks ta)

wage cut and shorter term on the contract would be the right thing to do.

What a fucking joke..

Whilst I am not proclaiming them to be world beaters recent performances from th youngsters and Nobby at the back has shown just how bad Bramble, Carr and Babayaro are. The sooner we get rid of these over paid numpties the better.

That's pretty true tbh.

I think the thing with Bramble that forever saves him is that he has all the physical atributes to be a genuinely great defender (and even occasionally shows that), but equally his lack of concentration and incredible ability to make stupid mistakes that give away goals and will probably cost you 10's of points a season.

I guess the managers all think "if only we can cut out the mistakes", but if that was going to happen it would have happened by now IMO.

What a fucking joke..

That's pretty true tbh.

I think the thing with Bramble that forever saves him is that he has all the physical atributes to be a genuinely great defender (and even occasionally shows that), but equally his lack of concentration and incredible ability to make stupid mistakes that give away goals and will probably cost you 10's of points a season.

I guess the managers all think "if only we can cut out the mistakes", but if that was going to happen it would have happened by now IMO.

Spot on assessment, plus I don't think I've ever seen such a 'confidence player'. When he drops a clanger he seems to lose all his fight and gives whoever he's marking an easy ride from then on.

Roeder might be following HTT's suggestion and grooming him to take over from Butt / Parker in the defensive midfield role.

Was that another 287894237589072930579240579253823 word post filled with inane drivel?