Cooking

Gemmill

30 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

Been there done that and have quite a few decent ones but a lot are tasteless fodder, no imagination with spices etc.

I would love to find a nice ‘rub’ for lamb, something Mediterranean and some options to spice up chicken breasts.

Just a bit bored with the same old same old.

Use the Google machine to look up Moroccan spicing. 

Works well on lamb, chicken and chips. 

30 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Use the Google machine to look up Moroccan spicing. 

Works well on lamb, chicken and chips. 

Aye I do now and again, but it’s just getting some time to experiment and get the right ones.

Paradido do a fabulous Mediterranean mixed grill and the rub on the lamb is perfect (and unlike anything I’ve ever tasted elsewhere).

Anyway, made sticky Asian chicken and rice tonight which turned out well. Clean plates.

This fulfils the "Mediterranean" and "chicken" criteria while being pretty healthy (use skinless chicken and a bit less oil to make it even more so).

https://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/international/european/italian/chicken-puttanesca

Google will even show you versions that include cherry tomatoes for a CT bingo full house.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

Moroccan, that sounds dangerously close to Makaresh if you ask me.

Aiiiiiii!

hqdefault.jpg

:lol:

7 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

:lol: Aye, I was more thinking of Gloom jumping in with one of his nut pasta jobs in a weird sauce.

:lol:

Is there another gloom on here? One I know is a meat & potato kind of bloke, no frills, likes a pint in his lurcal clurb, never calls anyone a 'guy', etc. :rolleyes:

15 hours ago, Christmas Tree said:

Been there done that and have quite a few decent ones but a lot are tasteless fodder, no imagination with spices etc.

I would love to find a nice ‘rub’ for lamb, something Mediterranean and some options to spice up chicken breasts.

Just a bit bored with the same old same old.

As others have alluded to something like Ras-el-Hanout would fit the bill for the rub. Wor lass does Slimming World as it happens and the best of their recipe books  seems to be the sauces one (little book of sauces or something like that). Some good ‘syn free’ curries in there for example. I do a lot of the cooking and have found though that you can just do normal recipes and ‘syn’ them anyway. E.g. there’s a syn free tomato pasta sauce in that book but it’s much nicer if you make it with extra virgin olive oil and a pinch of sugar than fry light and sweetener. Still works out hardly any syns per serving and you’re allowed 15 a day or something. Same with my chilli, ie it was much nicer adding some cocoa powder which made it 2.5 syns per person instead of ‘free’. So just do normal stews, casseroles, soups and pasta dishes etc but count the syns, obviously. Makes it more interesting and varied which in turn makes it easier for your lass to stick to. 

Edited by Alex

3 hours ago, Alex said:

As others have alluded to something like Ras-el-Hanout would fit the bill for the rub. Wor lass does Slimming World as it happens and the best of their recipe books  seems to be the sauces one (little book of sauces or something like that). Some good ‘syn free’ curries in there for example. I do a lot of the cooking and have found though that you can just do normal recipes and ‘syn’ them anyway. E.g. there’s a syn free tomato pasta sauce in that book but it’s much nicer if you make it with extra virgin olive oil and a pinch of sugar than fry light and sweetener. Still works out hardly any syns per serving and you’re allowed 15 a day or something. Same with my chilli, ie it was much nicer adding some cocoa powder which made it 2.5 syns per person instead of ‘free’. So just do normal stews, casseroles, soups and pasta dishes etc but count the syns, obviously. Makes it more interesting and varied which in turn makes it easier for your lass to stick to. 

Cheers for that Alex, good advice and I’ll look for that book.

12 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

Cheers for that Alex, good advice and I’ll look for that book.

It's this one (I don't know if you can still get it through Slimming World itself, but if you can - assuming your lass is going to the classes - the price they do / did sell it for is only £3 or £4).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Slimming-World-Little-Book-of-Sauces-inc-Extra-Easy-Green-Free-Superfree-VGC/112771979099?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D49895%26meid%3Df192c44d22d24760b19bae40d9d2cf50%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D122903903852&_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850

24 minutes ago, Alex said:

It's this one (I don't know if you can still get it through Slimming World itself, but if you can - assuming your lass is going to the classes - the price they do / did sell it for is only £3 or £4).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Slimming-World-Little-Book-of-Sauces-inc-Extra-Easy-Green-Free-Superfree-VGC/112771979099?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D49895%26meid%3Df192c44d22d24760b19bae40d9d2cf50%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D122903903852&_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850

Cheers I'll get our lass to ask next week.

:icon_lol: Think I have finally found my best ever slimming recipe site www.twochubbycubs.com (Thought it was two women but thats cougars). Anyway, some great recipes and I like their style,

EG

to make doner kebab you should:

preheat the oven to 180degrees. Chuck absolutely everything into a big old bowl and mash mash mash with your fists. Imagine you’re punching the face of someone you hate, or you’re trying to birth a cow against the clock. You want that mixture smooth, not lumpy because you couldn’t be arsed. No excuses. Think of the body magic. If you sweat and it drops in, just reduce the amount of salt you add. When you’ve got it so smooth and well-mixed that you want to take a picture and show it to the neighbours, stick it in a parchment-lined loaf tin and cook in the oven for around 90 minutes. After 45 minutes, turn it over and skim off any shite that has oozed out. Once cooked, take it out, let it cool, slice it thin. 

Now, stuff it into your pitta with as much salad as you want. Because I’m not very exciting, I just went for spinach and tomato and onion with a raita made from fat free yoghurt, mint and a bit of garlic. Whoo, right? You could have an extra pitta for five syns more and who is going to know? I’m not telling anyone, I’m still in a bad mood!

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got some Ras-el-hanout and bought a few chicken fillets to test it with. As it was kebab night I thought I’d fry a few fillets after marinating.

All a bit last minute but found a marinade that called for

1/4 cup olive oil

1/4 cup of lemon juice

1 tsp minced garlic

1 tsp Ras-el-hanout

1/2 tsp sea salt

few grinds of black pepper.

Had no lemon juice so I squeezed a couple of tangerines in then added 1 tsp of lazy chilli (because it was staring at me from the cupboard).

Cooked over a very high heat for about 6 minutes.

Result: Superb 

Tastes were fantastic and never cooked chicken so well in my life. Came apart like a cod fillet does.

• 2 months later...
1 minute ago, Meenzer said:

Just rustled up a substantial batch of wild garlic pesto. Anything for a bit of personal space on the train. :good:

I made some of that a few years back. Gave it a good wash like :lol: