Cooking

Gemmill

Just made the same muffins I think Cath was on about. Except mine have walnuts. About to have one with some pink champagne. :gay::lol:

Uh-oh! 1 glass of champagne = hangover alert! :D

Had a first date last night with this cute chick I work with. I bought quite a few 22 oz. smoked porter beers and we went to a local park. I brought along the following that I made.

Sliced some focaccia in half. Deep-fried oysters, crispy bacon, blanched spinach, and sauteed mushrooms were all put on the focaccia bread. I then put two slices of pepperjack cheese on top of that. Then I got more focaccia bread. On that bread I put some beer braised pulled pork on it. I then added coleslaw, two onion rings, crispy bacon, and smoked porter bbq sauce. I then put two slices of white cheddar cheese on top of that. All four of the sandwiches were then put in the oven on a sheet pan until the cheese melted. I also made some garlic fries.

We go out again this Saturday. :gettin:

making me new signature dish tonight.

Mussells in a cream sauce, boring?

I fry off some onions, lots of garlic, black pepper and smoked bacon lardons (that word still makes me smirk)

Add some (canny bit) smoked paprika, chillie flakes to suit ones own taste.

Add mussells (prepared in normal way or you can buy those pre packed ones.

Brink to heat, add double cream and a bit parmesan (?)

Mix in spag, top with parmesan ans prawns (optional)

lovely

Going to make gingerbread and a banana loaf tomorrow I think. Anyone got a tried and tested recipe for either key lime pie or banoffee pie? Working Christmas day so we're bringing nice things in and I said I'd do pudding.

Going to make gingerbread and a banana loaf tomorrow I think. Anyone got a tried and tested recipe for either key lime pie or banoffee pie? Working Christmas day so we're bringing nice things in and I said I'd do pudding.

Key Lime Pie:

1 can condensed milk

8 limes (zest one of them and keep it handy)

300ml double cream

300g or so Bourbon Biscuits

100g Butter

1 tsp brown sugar

1 square of chocolate (for decorating)

- Melt the butter and stir into crushed bourbon biscuits. Pack that into a tart tin for your base and chill in the fridge.

- Juice all the limes, make sure you keep the zest of one.

- Pour condensed milk, double cream, lime juice, sugar and lime zest in and mix it all together until it starts to thicken. Best if you have an electric mixer. Really whisk the shit out of it though otherwise it won't set.

- Pour the filling into the tin and leave it in the fridge overnight.

- Sprinkle over some leftover lime zest and grate the chocolate on top.

Will give you 8 generous slices. I last did it at a family gathering and everyone loved it. :) (adapted the recipe from the BBC site - they don't whisk it nearly enough and they put way too much cream in)

Brock that sounds amazing, although I think I'll use ginger biscuits for the base. Looks like a trial run is in order just to make absolutely sure I get it right for Christmas day :D

Beef Stew

This week I have managed to finally create a delicious beef stew served in a giant yorkshire pudding. Having returned from the supermarket in takes less than two minutes to fill the slow cooker and several hours later you have a delicious stew, perfect for a cold winters night. This recipes serves about 6-8 depending how much you like on your plate.

Asda

2 x packets of broth vegetables (Carrots, leeks, onions etc)

2 x packs of Irish diced steak

2 x packs of ready made beef stock

Splash of Worcester Sauce

2 x beef oxo cubes

Asda beef gravy Granules.

Salt and pepper

Chuck the vegetables, stock and steak in the slow cooker and set it off. Season as u like with salt and pepper, sprinkle in two oxo cubes.

10 Minutes before serving, thicken to your liking with Gravy Granules. (2 or 3 desert spoons for me).

This makes a delicious stew that is around £11 to make and very easy to prepare. There are more fancy versions that Ive tried with red wine bla bla bla..... but this is so easy and so tasty when you just want a good old fashioned meal when you get in from work.

Serve in a giant yorkshire pud (3 for a quid at asda)

Variations....I like to chuck in a good helping of peeled and chopped charlotte potatoes about an hour or so before serving.

Edited by Christmas Tree

Best Ever Roast Potatoes

img0737v.jpg

Drooling just looking at them.

Pack of morris piper potatoes (important to use good potatoes)

Olive oil

Sea Salt

Peel and cut potatoes into a decent even sizes. (the more even shape and size, the more even they'll cook)

Run under a cold tap to get rid of excess starch, then par boil in salted water for 8 minutes.

Drain off water, add two teaspoons of flour, a splodge of olive oil and then put a lid on the pan and tumble the potatoes around to break up the edges and cover them in flour. This makes them crispy.

Take out of the oven your baking tray / dish that has been in on a high heat for 15 minutes or so with a nice thin layer of olive oil.

As you put your potatoes in you should here them start to sizzle. Overall you will now cook these for 45 minutes remembering to take the tray out and turn the potatoes every 15 minutes.

I then transfer to a paper towel to drain off any excess oil, add sea salt and serve.

Yes you will probably die of salt poisoning but you'll die happy.