Cooking

Gemmill

It was pretty decent but I just don't think rice goes with burgers. Ditto egg and mushroom gravy.

Mushroom gravy and burger though? :thumbup:

Made my gravy roux-based though unlike Fieri's recipe. I don't like hoying cornflour slurry into things. You don't get as much control in setting the thickness than when you're slowly adding stock.

The teenage daughter of a lass I work with was cooking lasagne this week so had to take ingredients in. So my workmate came back from the shop with jars of sauces. :cantlook: Is that normal in schools these days? I was shite at cooking in school but it was everything from scratch when I was there. She said her daughter made apple crumble a few weeks ago and had to take in tinned apples, which I didn't even know you could get. I've just been to check in Morrisons today. :lol:

The teenage daughter of a lass I work with was cooking lasagne this week so had to take ingredients in. So my workmate came back from the shop with jars of sauces. :cantlook: Is that normal in schools these days? I was shite at cooking in school but it was everything from scratch when I was there. She said her daughter made apple crumble a few weeks ago and had to take in tinned apples, which I didn't even know you could get. I've just been to check in Morrisons today. :lol:

:lol: The apples thing is sort of understandable I suppose, but "making" lasagna using a Dolmio jar? If you can get a GCSE for that then fuck me, I was daft to do Electronics & Engineering instead. :lol:

:lol: The apples thing is sort of understandable I suppose, but "making" lasagna using a Dolmio jar? If you can get a GCSE for that then fuck me, I was daft to do Electronics & Engineering instead. :lol:

:lol: We had to choose Art, Drama, Home Management (cooking & sewing) or Music. I ended up with Art by process of elimination in that I was utterly dreadful at the others and Art seemed more like a doss, but if I'd known I just had to stir in jars of sauce I'd have had an A* easily!

Everything I made was utter shit because I was terrible at it, but it was always stuff made from scratch with basic raw ingredients. Bless my parents for bravely trying some of whatever mess I brought home. I got full marks once for my macaroni cheese and was gutted when my dad said it tasted like vomit. :lol:

I think the school's in Jarrow, btw. ;)

Cooking some sort of spicy chicken & tomato pasta tonight, all the usual peppers, onions, garlic, chillis etc in there. I fancied doing something extravagant and completely different.. but then I remembered I'm only a few days away from payday, so it was back to what was in the cupboards instead. I really need to start branching out with what I make, always revert back to the same old favourites.

Made some very nice and dead simple spinach 'meatballs' last night.

200g spinach, 1 tbsp flour and a bit more for coating. Chill for 30 mins then fry each side until crispy.

Went really well with a herby tomato and cream sauce. Next time though I'll double the spinach so I get more balls. The above made 6.

Thinly sliced rump steak's been marinading overnight in rice wine vinegar, light soy, garlic, ginger and a couple of finely chopped birdseye chillies.

Rice cooked last night to the point of just having a tiny litte bit bite left, tubbed up when cool, ready to stir fry in sesame oil with a few baby peas and chopped spring onions chucked in and beaten egg of course. (Home made fried rice is the dog's tbh)

Can't decide whether to just have beef fried rice or to do the beef with black pepper or chilli sauce. hmmmmmmmm.

A decent morning's work in the kitchen. That'll do for the next few weeks of tea breaks. :)

sam0791t.jpg

Looks good Meenzer. The Mrs has become a devotee of Mary Berry's recipe's. We've been having great cakes for a few weeks now :)

She made some chewy fudge cookies yesterday, they didn't make it past 7pm

Was meant to be going out for lunch but with the mackem match on early, the local will be over run with the un-washed.

So a quickly chucked together Sunday Roast is under way at Trough Manor.

Never cooked Roast Lamb before but Delia reckons a few slithers of garlic under the skin, lots of salt and pepper and a glass of red wine helps so that was good enough for me. (No rosemary in the house).

Home made Roasties and Yorkshires and a bit veg and we're laughing.

All washed down with a nice Merlot in preparation for the match.

Happy Days.