Cooking

Gemmill

The fella's away till Tuesday so I'm taking the opportunity to go veggie for a few days (I'd call it detox, but with the Fish's birthday drinks tonight and Matt's tomorrow... :suicide: ).

Tomorrow I'll be rustling up the usual batch of curries that look like baby sick, but for today it's Brock's tried-and-tested ratatouille with eggs poached in the same pan, served with toasted rye bread on the side. :good:

What's this rye bread all about then? A few of you have mentioned it of late.

:lol:

I've been on Wiki but I just need a simple answer!

"Rye bread is a type of bread made with various percentages of flour from rye grain." - the first line on Wikipedia.

Fucking hell man, I despair.

I had poached eggs on toast this morning too. Wasn't struck by a need to photojournal it though.

I'm a giver not a taker. ;)

Got to think of the young'uns like Tooj and Tom who will one day leave home and have to feed themselves.

Teaching. :)

"Rye bread is a type of bread made with various percentages of flour from rye grain." - the first line on Wikipedia.

Fucking hell man, I despair.

I read that man!

It doesn't explain why all of a sudden people keep mentioning it.

Is it trendy now?

Is it better than wholemeal for you?

Does it have some special taste?

Does it make great toast?

Why rye and not mothers pride?

I read that man!

It doesn't explain why all of a sudden people keep mentioning it.

Is it trendy now?

You didn't ask any of that though, you bloody nuisance! You said "What's this Rye bread all about then?" as if it hadn't yet entered the medieval town of Boldon!

I'm a giver not a taker. ;)

Got to think of the young'uns like Tooj and Tom who will one day leave home and have to feed themselves.

Teaching. :)

I'm a far better cook than you despite being twenty years younger. :lol:

I also have a mortgage and have done since I was about 24 so you can go and fuck yourself.

See, this is helpful.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-104785/How-good-loaf.html

Rye/pumpernickel

Popular in Scandinavia and Germany, rye breads as such as pumpernickel or 'black bread', as it is sometimes called, are something of an acquired taste. Rye flour contains very little gluten, which explains why rye breads tend to have a heavier texture.

Rye breads, particularly pumpernickel, have a very low glycaemic index (GI), which means that they are converted into sugar very slowly. This will help to keep you feeling full for longer and prevent a big increase in insulin levels.

1 medium slice/35g= 65 calories, 0.4g fat, 1.9g protein, 2.7g fibre, 0.2g sodium/0.5g salt.

Health rating: 4/5

:lol:

It doesn't explain why all of a sudden people keep mentioning it. Is it trendy now?

You don't have to use the word "trendy" with such obvious suspicion. ;) Anyway, I mentioned it several months ago in this very thread, when I made some on the same weekend as the last batch of baby-shit curries. :D

Don't know, don't care.

Aye, it tastes of rye.

It makes great toast. Posted this photo at the time.

Why anything and not anything else? It's just another type of bread. There are quite a lot of them out there. :)This is the recipe I used, anyway - with a bit more rye flour and a bit less white flour, because I'm nails like that.

I'm a far better cook than you despite being twenty years younger. :lol:

I also have a mortgage and have done since I was 23 so you can go and fuck yourself.

I don't so the fuckas can.......

kobal_braveheart460.jpg