Cooking

Gemmill

Isn't that where Jamie Oliver came to prominence via one of the original TV shows about the place, for a start? Anyway, no, haven't knowingly used any of their recipes, though I'm sure at least one of their cookbooks would be in my collection if I'd been into cooking when they were at their height, if only as an easy Christmas pressie from the relatives. :) Neither the London River Café Cook Book nor the Italian Country Cook Book are particularly cheap second-hand on Amazon otherwise I'd be tempted to take a look even now.

Isn't that where Jamie Oliver came to prominence via one of the original TV shows about the place, for a start? Anyway, no, haven't knowingly used any of their recipes, though I'm sure at least one of their cookbooks would be in my collection if I'd been into cooking when they were at their height, if only as an easy Christmas pressie from the relatives. :) Neither the London River Café Cook Book nor the Italian Country Cook Book are particularly cheap second-hand on Amazon otherwise I'd be tempted to take a look even now.

Spot on about Jamie. They showed that clip last night. Also Hugh Fearnly river cottage and several others who I can't remember.

There's a River Cafe Italilian Kitchen book available on eBay for a couple of quid. Based on their TV show apparently.

Worth a watch on demand for those interested.

Veggie burgers any ideas?

Following vegies all grated carrots, parsnips, celeriac, mushrooms chopped fine, garlic, onions. Ground Almonds, bit of cream an egg. Chopped parsley and fresh coriander.

Following vegies all grated carrots, parsnips, celeriac, mushrooms chopped fine, garlic, onions. Ground Almonds, bit of cream an egg. Chopped parsley and fresh coriander.

Make into a patty and fry I take it? What's with the almonds?

Chilli dogs tonight with homemade chilli. Comfort food at its finest. :D

Tomorrow I'm going down the butcher's for some calf liver; i had it on friday with a balsamic sauce and can't wait to try and re-create it myself.

Made a damn fine fish pie at the restaurant too:-

Mirepoix (finely chopped onion, carrot and celery in equal amounts)

Plain flour

Veg stock

Anchovies (just a few fillets)

Fresh parmesan

Smoked haddock

Smoked mackerel

Salmon

Prawns

Fresh parsley (round not flatleaf)

Paprika

White wine

Fry the mirepoix in butter until it starts to stick to brown. Add the anchovies and fry until they dissolve.

Add plain flour and incorporate.

Pour in melted butter and mix well to give a wallpaper paste-like consistency.

Add in veg stock slowly, whisking constantly until the lumps disappear. Add a little milk to make a creamier sauce.

Throw in parsley.

Mix up the fish and pour the sauce over, topping with whatever you like. I've gone with cheesy mash. Bake for 1/2 hour until the cheese is bubbly and the fish is cooked through.

Love fish pie like. This was the first time I've hoyed anchovies and parmesan in, but it gives a subtle underlying flavour. Fiddle with amounts according to personal preference, as I made the above up in bulk. :D

Found their two season cookery programme on four on demand. First episode alone has me drooling . :lol:

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-italian-kitchen/4od#2924187

Chilli dogs tonight with homemade chilli. Comfort food at its finest. :D

Tomorrow I'm going down the butcher's for some calf liver; i had it on friday with a balsamic sauce and can't wait to try and re-create it myself.

Made a damn fine fish pie at the restaurant too:-

Mirepoix (finely chopped onion, carrot and celery in equal amounts)

Plain flour

Veg stock

Anchovies (just a few fillets)

Fresh parmesan

Smoked haddock

Smoked mackerel

Salmon

Prawns

Fresh parsley (round not flatleaf)

Paprika

White wine

Fry the mirepoix in butter until it starts to stick to brown. Add the anchovies and fry until they dissolve.

Add plain flour and incorporate.

Pour in melted butter and mix well to give a wallpaper paste-like consistency.

Add in veg stock slowly, whisking constantly until the lumps disappear. Add a little milk to make a creamier sauce.

Throw in parsley.

Mix up the fish and pour the sauce over, topping with whatever you like. I've gone with cheesy mash. Bake for 1/2 hour until the cheese is bubbly and the fish is cooked through.

Love fish pie like. This was the first time I've hoyed anchovies and parmesan in, but it gives a subtle underlying flavour. Fiddle with amounts according to personal preference, as I made the above up in bulk. :D

Love fish pie. Have got various fish and seafood in the freezer so I'll definitely give that a go.

Well, I think we'll do one more job and then call it a day. Planning to cook for the Mrs tonight and make the following.

Lamb Steaks, sautéed (Gordon Ramsay) potatoes, honey roasted carrots and parsnip.

Any tricks for the lamb steaks or is it just 3 minutes each side in a frying pan (with a bit of Garlic and Rosemary chopped in)?

Also want to try some of the River Cafe recipes so trying to find somewhere that sells fresh Parmesan and some pasta whose name I forget.

Also note these chefs have bowls of coarse salt and pepper to chuck in. Does anyone do this or just normal salt and black ground pepper?

Fuck off man. :lol:

These Chefs who use a kitchen when cooking, does anyone else do this or use a takeaway menu from a drawer in their living room?

These Chefs who use a kitchen when cooking, does anyone else do this or get the Wife to drive them out to their nearest hidden gem pub off the A184?